2nd Cats in 3/4 Races

adukeofkent
adukeofkent Posts: 82
edited August 2012 in Amateur race
Looking at results of a local race a couple of weeks ago I can see that a 2nd Cat won the 3/4 race.
1. How is he allowed to race and be a big fish in a small pond?
2. Does anyone not think its wrong that he deprives others of points.

I dont understand

Comments

• jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    If you have entered a race and the closing date has passed then even if you move up to Elite in the mean time (not realistic of course!) then you are free to race and collect prizes. Points are not prizes, and who cares if you've "been deprived" you got beat, you're probably racing in the correct category - which is what the CAT system is for.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • Well thanks for your quick reply. Yes I did get beat. I got beat by a guy in the wrong Catagory
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    Several years ago , i really wanted to ride a particular event. It was a 2 day stage race with a four man team.
    It was 3/4 cat, At the end of the preceding season i deliberately threw a race, so i didn't get my second cat licence that year. The following season , i watched my points total and managed it , so on the closing date for the target event and i was one point short of a second cat so allowed to compete. By race day there was 30 odd points on my second cat licence , by the end of the season i was a first cat . Didn't break any rules , just played the system.
    Wanted to ride this event with my team mates , you may find that sad but its a case of setting your goals and working towards them.
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Looking at results of a local race a couple of weeks ago I can see that a 2nd Cat won the 3/4 race.
    1. How is he allowed to race and be a big fish in a small pond?
    2. Does anyone not think its wrong that he deprives others of points.

I dont understand
    How do you know how long he's been a 2nd category rider? If he started the season as a 3rd or 4th but moved up to 2nd after the closing date for entries then he's perfectly within his rights to race.

How do you feel about really good 3rd category riders who are physically capable of being 1st category riders? Do you think they're 'depriving others of points'?
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • If you're talking about Castle Combe two weeks ago, those 10 points bumped me up to my 2nd Cat licence. I have no idea why the BC site has me down like that - I was definitely a 3rd Cat at the time. This is my first year of racing and I started the year as a 4th Cat.

So no big fish, and no deprivation of points.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    If you're talking about Castle Combe two weeks ago, those 10 points bumped me up to my 2nd Cat licence. I have no idea why the BC site has me down like that - I was definitely a 3rd Cat at the time. This is my first year of racing and I started the year as a 4th Cat.

If you're on an Aussie you could really sandbag - race on a foreign licence and then sit in 3rd cat the whole time...
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • I could, or I could have not got those last points, kept my 3rd Cat licence for next year and then won some more 3/4 races.

But bugger that. I did the E12 race on Thursday at Castle Combe and I still hurt. It was awesome. :D
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    the whole pts system is madness, so what does it matter to you? were you 2nd? are you going for your Elite license? if no, then why complain?
    So long as you are a 3rd cat when you enter, you can race! what our organiser did though was to tell a rider in that situation that he could still race but he would be given no pts which is what happened...(he didnt mind at all) very sporting! as always the organiser can use their discretion and do what they like :)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    sub55 wrote:
    Several years ago , i really wanted to ride a particular event. It was a 2 day stage race with a four man team.
    It was 3/4 cat, At the end of the preceding season i deliberately threw a race, so i didn't get my second cat licence that year. The following season , i watched my points total and managed it , so on the closing date for the target event and i was one point short of a second cat so allowed to compete. By race day there was 30 odd points on my second cat licence , by the end of the season i was a first cat . Didn't break any rules , just played the system.
    Wanted to ride this event with my team mates , you may find that sad but its a case of setting your goals and working towards them.

You're right, it is sad. You sound like Piers Morgan.
  • Right then I guess I better just stop whinging about it and HTFU