Forum home Road cycling forum Campaign

Where to report dangerous driving?

KentPuncheurKentPuncheur Posts: 246
edited October 2012 in Campaign
Hi all, some help needed please.
Whilst driving home from the shops today the car in front was approaching some cyclists on the left of the carriageway. The car slowed and pulled towards the left of the road, behind the cyclists, before aggressively speeding up behind them. He then swerved right, narrowly avoiding them before swerving back left to cut in front of them. It was so blatant and dangerous it shocked me. The car had a group of teenagers (by my eyes) who hung out the window shouting abuse at the group. Whilst it didn't appear that any of the cyclists were knocked off, the driving was extremely dangerous and frankly worrying as the road is on my usual training route. I have noted the make and registration of the car, and the time and location of the incident, but does anyone know where or how I can report this as the driver clearly needs a strong word about his behaviour on the road.
Cheers all!
2011 Trek Madone 3.1c
2012 Ribble 7005 Winter Trainer

Dolor transit, gloria aeterna est.


  • lc1981lc1981 Posts: 820
    Either pop down your local police station or call their non-emergency number: ... y-numbers/. Well done on getting their registration number - hopefully it wasn't a fake numberplate!
  • bails87bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Yep, 101 is the national non emergency number.

    Ask them about a section 59 warning, good luck getting them to do anything though.

    "As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • lc1981lc1981 Posts: 820
    bails87 wrote:
    Yep, 101 is the national non emergency number.

    It is, but it's more expensive to call than the local ones listed via the link I posted.
  • diydiy Posts: 6,473
    They should take it seriously - sec 59 warning is likely (anti social driving). If they are bored and interview the driver to find out who was doing the abuse, they could pin a fixed penalty on the passenger for abusive and threatening behavior.

    Cant see why people think this sort of thing is funny. But it happens a lot surprisingly.
  • I've reported a couple of people before for dangerous driving.
    Once it was 2 transit vans racing each other whilst overtaking cars and forcing oncoming traffic to pull onto the verge.

    The Police generally can't prosecute because it's your word against theirs but in both my cases, they went and had an informal chat with the drivers.

    In any case, reporting it makes the Police aware of the car so it will have a marker on it for future occassions.
    I would always report it and then at least you've warned them about it and put the ball in their court.
  • Mikey23Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I would endorse everything said above. 101. Have done it myself a couple of times and it works
  • ProssPross Posts: 32,903
    I think the ultimate sanction with a Section 59 notice is the car being taken off the driver and crushed isn't it? Would be a fitting end for some of these morons.
  • diydiy Posts: 6,473
    Not if they have a good working knowledge of the law in particular sec 60 of the same. But yes it give the police an option when there is no evidence to prove something stronger.
  • They should think about crushing them with the drivers in their cars maybe?
Sign In or Register to comment.