South wales

sheepsteeth
sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
edited August 2012 in The Crudcatcher
went camping near brecon this week and had an ace time.

south wales or atleast the bits of it that i saw was really good. nice people, nice pubs, dog friendly and stunning scenery.

i didnt do any riding but i will make sure i go back and i liked it so much i reckon i might end up living in south wales instead north wales.

I know there are a few south welsh types about here: am i looking at the place with rose tinted glasses or s it a good place to live?

Comments

• YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    I don't like it. Too many people, none of them speak my language, and the hills are too small. Also, the phone signal is terrible down there.
    Much happier up North.
    So THERE.

(but yes, there are some stunningly beautiful areas down there)
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Surely you're mistaken Yeehaa and are talking about north Wales (except the small hills bit) ;-)

I love south Wales, easy access pretty much everywhere, great places to ride, great scenery and still close to fairly large cities. I camped just outside Brecon a few weeks ago, only 40 mins drive from my place but was great :-)
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    i went to the "trericket mill" which was nice, but the road was noisy as bastardfuckingwellfuck. really suprised at how nice the area was though.
  • welshkev
    Just looked where it is, yeah the a470 is a busy road, it's the 'main' road from north to south (or south to north depending which way you're driving :-))

It's about an hour from my place to there, but probably only about 30 miles :-)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I just like shouting araf whenever I see it painted on the road. Took me a while to work out what it meant.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • welshkev
    cooldad wrote:
    I just like shouting araf whenever I see it painted on the road. Took me a while to work out what it meant.

It's about the only welsh word I know, that and maes parcio :-)
  • cooldad
    welshkev wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

It's about the only welsh word I know, that and maes parcio :-)
    I Googled it and this came up
    Addawodd ei phrif weithredwr i mi y darperid maes parcio bysiau yn Dumballs Road
    Must be where Yeehaa lives.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • I moved down here.... Nice place!
  • cooldad
    I moved down here.... used to be a nice place before that!
    So I've heard.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    I don't like it. Too many people, none of them speak my language, and the hills are too small. Also, the phone signal is terrible down there.
    welshkev wrote:
    Surely you're mistaken Yeehaa and are talking about north Wales (except the small hills bit) ;-)
    Nope, definitely not.
    I'm lucky enough to live about 5-10 minutes from the coast, and about 10-15 minutes from Snowdon. Not only that, but, despite living in a tiny quiet village, there's a properly large tescos and various other town necessities just 15 minutes up the road, as well as a well maintainted dual carriegway that joins the M6 if I want to go further afield. - so this place is both remote, but also well connected.
    Can't fault it.
    And virtually everyone here speaks my language. Hardly any of you buggers down South do.
    North wins it for me.
  • luke7s
    luke7s Posts: 8
    edited August 2012
    I visited North Wales a few weeks back, and camped bout 45 minures from Snowdon... But yes, North Wales is absoloutely stunning! Some big hills to climb, but that's what makes it fun ey?
  • cooldad
    Port Mad Dog? Excellent name.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    cooldad wrote:
    Port Mad Dog? Excellent name.
    Guess who the mad dog they named it after was 8)
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    South wales has work which is the good bit.

But if i could north wales is the place.. but the whole of it is better than the rest of the country.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Your hole is better than any in the rest of the country, my little sugarplum.
  • cooldad
    And explains your smelly helmet.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    I'll smell your helmet in a minute.
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    I like wales, the valleys peoples I have met are friendly (apparently valleys girls can be very friendly) and I have got used to being addressed as Oh But.

My favouritest bit is still pembrokeshire though, as much as I love living in and around Cardiff, I will be trying to push on towards the wild west in a year or two.

The only problem with this country is welsh men called Kevin.
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I lived in Cardiff for 6 months with work, but spent a lot of time down there working for about 8 years. I loved South Wales, but then again I spent most of the time pissed on other people's money. Nothing ever happened though.
  • welshkev
    welshkev wrote:
    Nope, definitely not.
    I'm lucky enough to live about 5-10 minutes from the coast, and about 10-15 minutes from Snowdon. Not only that, but, despite living in a tiny quiet village, there's a properly large tescos and various other town necessities just 15 minutes up the road, as well as a well maintainted dual carriegway that joins the M6 if I want to go further afield. - so this place is both remote, but also well connected.
    Can't fault it.
    And virtually everyone here speaks my language. Hardly any of you buggers down South do.
    North wins it for me.

It's Bangor your from isn't it? It is nice around there I must admit :-)
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Near enough, yeah.
  • Squarepants
    Squarepants Posts: 1,019
    I like it, lived in the rhymney valley and Cardiff, like both. Same with everywhere you get good bit and bad bits, like has been said though great riding, friendly people on the whole and a half decent economy.

Just don't move to Merthyr :lol:
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...
  • Gazlar
    I like it, lived in the rhymney valley and Cardiff, like both. Same with everywhere you get good bit and bad bits, like has been said though great riding, friendly people on the whole and a half decent economy.

Just don't move to Merthyr :lol:

I dunno, Merthyr seems posh compared to Aberdare or Cwmbach
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • YeehaaMcgee
    I've stayed in another Cwmbach - which is a village so small that it was literally just a guest house.
  • Gazlar
    I hope the guest house was called "the Cwmbach and stay again"

I think the guest houses in the south Cwmbach offer methadone as the breakfast
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • YeehaaMcgee
    This was kind of in the south. It was further south than Aberystwyth, anyway.