Giant Anthem 29er Cracked Frame

ian220476
ian220476 Posts: 164
edited August 2012 in MTB general
Hi,

Riding up in the peaks at the moment and have niticed a split at the weld between the top tube and the seat tube. Thought this might be just paint but having looked online it looks like this wouldn't be the first anthem that this has happened to.

It isthe 2012 x1 29er.

I'm asking as the previous issues I have found online are pre 2012 and this apparently is one of the items that has been 'fixed' for this model. Clearly not!

Two questions:

1. Has anybody had any exeprience of this and what was the outcome from Giant (I have read some positive things)?
2. I'll be speaking to the LBS, but will find myself in the position of my LBS is not the same place I bought it from (no other reason than they couldn't source the bike when I was buying). To make a warranty claim does it have to be from the original place of purchase?

Thx
Ian
GT XC1 - the harder you ride it, the better it is

Stumpy FSR 2010 - Rides over everything and everyone

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    It depends. If it is a known issue and they do a recall then any dealer can do it.

But your warrenty is with the seller no one else. So your local Giant can tell you to take it to where you got it from.

But again if they think it might get more money from you they may help you out and help you out. Even though it is nothing to do with them.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I claimed for cracked suspension linkages for a Reign X. I had to claim through the shop I bought it from which was slow and difficult (bad shop) it was a common fault which was supposed to have been fixed on the model I had.
    Modern Giants are a bit weak, they used to be solid.
  • lm_trek
    lm_trek Posts: 1,470
    Giants customer service is top rate! brought OH a Giant XTC ex in scotland a few years back, 6 months after purchase the spokes on both wheels had rusted. I contacted them via email customer service. Sent a picture of the rust and a photocopy of the reciept explained we lived in the west midlands and no chance of returning to fort william to sort out. I got a call and a contact details of a local dealer, took the bike in on the agreed day, there was a sales rep there from head office to inspect the bike, he agreed there and then a fault and the lbs rebuilt both wheels.

The LBS was a small outlet, most expensive bike in there was £300 at most all low end kit, but the guy did a amazing job on the wheels, still true today 3 years on.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Giant are great but the warranty is with the shop you bought from. I bought from one of the biggest Giant stockists in the south west & they were crap.
  • ian220476
    ian220476 Posts: 164
    Hi all,

Thanks for your advice. Thought I would post an update.

My LBS have been superb and have arranged the whole thing. Giant have agreed to replace the frame.

The warranty is rightly with the shop I bought it from. I use my LBS frequently and as such they were happy to facilitate this. I have left the bike with them and they will perform the strip down and rebuild for me. As previously mentioned they are at no obligation to do this free of charge (whereas the shop I bought the bike from would have been) and I will be paying them the going rate for this activity. This seems to me to be a happy medium.

I will keep you posted once the bike is returned.

Ian
    GT XC1 - the harder you ride it, the better it is

Stumpy FSR 2010 - Rides over everything and everyone
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    Glad you've been treated well, though dissapointed to hear about the issue on 2012 models... :?

I bought an X2 26" in 2010, frame cracked in 2011, Giant sent a replacement 2010 X frame.
    Last month the replacement frame cracked and they sent a 2012 X frame.

PITA, but both PedalOn and Giant have been great both times.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • theblender
    theblender Posts: 201
    glad to see the LBS and Giant sorting you out.

Just a note on cracked frames though - it happens to all brands, and doesn't make any one brand worse than another. Aluminium alloys weaken with age, and I remember back in the day when aluminium bikes first became readily available, there was debate, especially among engineering types, about the pro's and con's of the material in bicycle use. They will all crack one day - some just sooner than others for whatever reason. That's one of the reasons why bikes always used to be made from steel alloys, because it's stronger.

...and no, I'm not a beardy engineer with a lugged steel frame.....

and just out of interest, here's a quick list of broken frames I've seen this year -

Boardman Team Hardtail - cracked behind top headset race - 13 months old, aluminium alloy - not replaced, out of warranty period
    Boardman Hybrid (can't remember model) - cracked behind top headset race, 13 months old, aluminium alloy - not replaced, out of warranty period
    Marin Larkspur - cracked around bb shell, 5+ years old, aluminium alloy - frame replaced FOC
    Marin Mill Valley - cracked around bb shell, 5+ years old, aluminium alloy - frame replaced FOC
    Marin San Rafael - cracked around bb shell, 5+ years old, aluminium alloy - frame replaced FOC
    WeThePeople Arcade - cracked down tube - 13 months old, steel alloy - frame replaced at subsidised rate
    WeThePeople Reason - cracked down tube - 2 years old, steel alloy - frame replaced at subsidised rate
    Whyte T120s - cracked swingarm - 1 day old, carbon fibre composite - bike replaced FOC
    whyte 146X - cracked swingarm - 3 months old, carbon fibre composite - bike refunded in full

so you see, all types of bikes, all types of materials, they can all break - as long as the brand and shop support you, you'll be ok.
  • rockmonkeysc
    New Giants seem to be particularly prone to cracking and usually at the seat tube top tube joint. Pre 2010 Giants were much stronger.
  • hi all......I had very similiar issue.

Purchased 2009 Anthem x4 thru local Giant dealer, 2009.....

Frame broke in 2010seat/top tube area, LBS did not want to know!!!!!!!

I called larger Giant dealer (Rutland) god they were great, replaced frame (2010 X) built up for me, and gave me a 2010 Trance 2 while i waited, which i swiftly went and did 3 days in scotland on, completly bent the rear wheel, on return they charged me £26 quid.....great service that........

2012 frame broke again same place, again called Rutland, all sorted thru them.

So im now riding a 2012 Anthem X......not bad i dont think for original 2009 was £1200 :D:D:D:D

Bought girlfreind Giant Hardtail start of this year, went in for sqeeky bottom bracket, only took in as i wanted new BB on warranty, turns out crack in frame in bottom bracket, Guess what another new bike, girlfriend well chuffed as she now had new shiny white bits on bike again....

i think GIANT are great, service at Rutland, spot on

STU......
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    donkey600 wrote:
    hi all......I had very similiar issue.

Purchased 2009 Anthem x4 thru local Giant dealer, 2009.....

Frame broke in 2010seat/top tube area, LBS did not want to know!!!!!!!

I called larger Giant dealer (Rutland) god they were great, replaced frame (2010 X) built up for me, and gave me a 2010 Trance 2 while i waited, which i swiftly went and did 3 days in scotland on, completly bent the rear wheel, on return they charged me £26 quid.....great service that........

2012 frame broke again same place, again called Rutland, all sorted thru them.

So im now riding a 2012 Anthem X......not bad i dont think for original 2009 was £1200 :D:D:D:D

Bought girlfreind Giant Hardtail start of this year, went in for sqeeky bottom bracket, only took in as i wanted new BB on warranty, turns out crack in frame in bottom bracket, Guess what another new bike, girlfriend well chuffed as she now had new shiny white bits on bike again....

i think GIANT are great, service at Rutland, spot on

STU......

So they've supplied you 3 frames none of which were fit for purpose but they are still great?!! You are very easily pleased.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris