Looking to buy first bike under 1000 pounds

jkpele
jkpele Posts: 12
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys, I have myself a budget of a grand and am looking to buy the best bike I can with this stash.

I will be going to uni in cumbria so will be in a hilly environment and want to get back into mountain biking but have the problem of not possessing a cyclable bike!

I have some idea of what to look for in a decent bike but need some help from someone who has more knowledge. I know hardtails are less expensive than full suspension for the same quality but what would be preferable for off-roading down mountains but also road use?

Thanks for any advice :D

Joe

Comments

• What type of riding do you want to do??
    Specialized Hardrock 06
    On One 456 Summer Season 2010 neon orange!

“…get it in your head, then there’s nothing else important for the next couple of hours than getting that particular line done…” – Danny MacAskill
  • G-S
    G-S Posts: 19
    Knowing Cumbria as I do, I would personnaly go for either a Boardman FS Team from Halfords, or have a look at the Vitus Escarpe 2, which looks outstanding on paper for it's sale price:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=67803

Now the 2013 models are all being released and Summer is nearly over, there should be plenty of bargains in the next couple of months, but beware that the sales usually only yeild smaller frames, so it's risky if you are on the lofty side.