Sit Down... Stand Up

albus16
albus16 Posts: 18
edited August 2012 in MTB beginners
Out on a trail today, I couldn't help but think to myself regularly that I am wasting energy sometimes by standing out of my seat to ride or sitting down in the wrong places. It felt as though I wasn't quite doing the right things in the right places.

Is there a steadfast rule to when you should be sitting/standing? Or is it personal preference?

Comments

• waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    I tend to sit when climbing, and stand when I want a surge of power. Otherwise whatever goes.
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I stand up to go downhill. I sit or stand to go up as the terrain or gradient require or I desire.

There is no written rule.

However, if I ever see you sitting down on your bike going down hill on anything other than a smooth road, I will kick your teeth in. :wink:
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    I just got back on a bike after 10 years, last week. Part of my route has a stony/rough downhill section, with lots of rain water channels. First time I sat down as I was unsure, the next time I tried standing and felt a lot more in control and confident, and was able to go a fair bit faster.
    I'd assume this was because my legs were working as shock absorbers (hard tail frame), and stopping my body/weight from throwing me off balance
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Generally downhill you want to be out of the saddle, you can't control a bike if your sat down on rough stuff you just can't move around the bike the same.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Plyphon
    Plyphon Posts: 433
    I find standing up whilst shredding singletrack much more fun that sitting down. Depends on distances you're riding, and how much fun you like to have.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    attacking - standing. Cruising or spinning - sitting.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    No hard or fast rule, just what feels right and that comes with experience and a few crashes.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    This ^ and this ^^.
    You can be up and down every few metres. Or even feet or toes in the archaic currency used here.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Andy9964 wrote:
    I just got back on a bike after 10 years, last week. Part of my route has a stony/rough downhill section, with lots of rain water channels. First time I sat down as I was unsure, the next time I tried standing and felt a lot more in control and confident, and was able to go a fair bit faster.
    I'd assume this was because my legs were working as shock absorbers (hard tail frame), and stopping my body/weight from throwing me off balance

Doesnt matter if its a hardtail or a full susser - you stand up to go downhill because it allows you to balance over the bike and allow the bike to move around under you and for you to use the best suspension ever designed (your limbs).

If you sit your centre of gravity is static on the bike and can be thrown about by the terrain, you cant shift your weight and body to corner or brake and most of all if you sit down you look like a right royal knob. (sorry but its true)

Watch any biking video or race run and oddly they never sit down - I wonder why? Even XC racers stand up on descents so when people say "there is no hard and fast rule" they are frankly wrong. Stand up to ride down stand up or sit down to ride up depending on the terrain, fitness etc.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.