My First Fall

albus16
albus16 Posts: 18
edited August 2012 in MTB beginners
Newbie still learning the basics out on a trail at Sherwood Pines today...

Hit a bump.

Foot came off the pedal.

Lost my balance.

Head first into a bush 8)

Not quite a full-scale wipeout and only cuts and bruises but I feel like I'm part of the sport now!

In seriousness though, having experienced a proper fall now, in a strange way it has made me more confident to ride quicker. Anyone else had this feeling?

Comments

• waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    You start to understand your limits and where you can push harder.
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    As mine was probably eleventy million years ago I can't remember.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    How did your foot come off the pedal on a bump?

If you are standing up, heels down, decent pedals and shoes it shouldnt really happen.

But on the other hand, congrats on your first off. Go have some more. :wink:
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • chris321
    chris321 Posts: 95
    You need to build up a bank of good crashes in your head, they're a great comfort the next time you're flying through the air and you can cling onto the the thought that maybe the landing isn't going to be quite as painful as you first thought :D

As mentioned above though, mastering going over bumpy bits without your feet bouncing off the pedals sounds like an important skill to concentrate on.

If you are standing up, heels down, decent pedals and shoes it shouldnt really happen.

I was always taught to point my toes down, and have my heels up? Wouldn't it be really tricky to have your heels low?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    chris321 wrote:
    I was always taught to point my toes down, and have my heels up? Wouldn't it be really tricky to have your heels low?

No, always heels down. Gives better control, keeps your feet more secure on the pedals, helps relax your legs, puts you in a better position. Toes down is just very bad technique.
    Look at any DH racer, they always have their heels down.

brendan_fairclough_practices.jpg
  • cooldad
    Fine for bumpy downhill, but not really for pedalling (which is actually a part of some bicycling). So 'always' is not always correct.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    cooldad wrote:
    Fine for bumpy downhill, but not really for pedalling (which is actually a part of some bicycling). So 'always' is not always correct.

Yeah, forgot the minor bit about pedalling :?
  • chris321
    chris321 Posts: 95
    No, always heels down. Gives better control, keeps your feet more secure on the pedals, helps relax your legs, puts you in a better position. Toes down is just very bad technique.
    Look at any DH racer, they always have their heels down[/img]

Interesting, I'll try heels down tomorrow, it will probably feel like trying to write with my left hand though! What about when the bike (or at least rear wheel) isn't on the ground? Still heels down?
  • cooldad
    What pedals do you have?
    And remember you are not a DH racer, so somethings may not be relevant.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • milko9000
    milko9000 Posts: 533
    chris321 wrote:
    Look at any DH racer, they always have their heels down[/img]

Interesting, I'll try heels down tomorrow, it will probably feel like trying to write with my left hand though! What about when the bike (or at least rear wheel) isn't on the ground? Still heels down?

When you get airborne your toes will naturally point down and there' s not much you can do about it, so don't worry about that. But yeah, while standing and not pedalling you should be heels down, makes things nice and stable.
  • Bred2shred
    Bred2shred Posts: 306
    And just to confuse things further, Heels should also be down while climbing up steep technical sections in the saddle. :D
    Never argue with an idiot, he'll only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    There are few occasions when toes down is preferable/desirable I'd say. I naturally do it. It's annoying.
  • my first big off left me needing stiches, but chicks dig scars!
    Zesty 214
  • First ride, first fall. Nothing too serious though.