First group ride

crescent
crescent Posts: 1,201
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
My wife has "volunteered" me for a run with a local club this weekend. I had been umming and aahhing about it for a while so she intervened to stop me going on about it. It is their 'easy' ride I will be participating in but I am very nervous about it. Distance is around 50 miles, avg speed about 15-17 mph ish. Doesn't sound too far away from what I do regularly anyway but I am really worried about embarrassing myself and getting dropped or slowing them down too much. When I did the Etape Caledonia this year I bottled it and really struggled for the first 20 miles due to setting off too fast and panicking as people passed me with apparent ease as I struggled to find a suitable pace. Obviously, if I drop off the back I will just head home on my own and it will not be the end of the world, but I really want to make a go of it. Any tips?

Cheers
Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"

Comments

• rpd_steve
    rpd_steve Posts: 361
    Most clubs are quite good - in the slower rides/easy groups they will always wait for everyone in the group, even if your really slow. If people wanted to keep going at pace then they would be with the faster groups. To that end, if your struggling say so before you drop off the back.

Group riding is what you'll need to get used to. Just make sure you give a call out if there is a car behind you or a pothole to let others know. Be a bit careful about taking a drink if your not sure of the road ahead or the guy in front is not calling for pot holes - nothing worse than hitting a pot hole 1 handed!

Other than that enjoy it and remember the easy groups are there to help everyone get into it!
  • EarlyGo
    EarlyGo Posts: 281
    Hi Crescent,

If you're used to doing 35+miles then 50 miles in a group will be okay if you can stay with them. Therefore, stay in the back / middle of the group to get the max benefit of being protected from the wind and don't feel obliged to do turns on the front until you're confident that you can complete the distance. If you let the guys around you know that you're worried that you won't make the distance then there should be no complaints from anyone on a club run. As said before, pay attention to the guys in front of you and watch for hand signals etc. Oh yes ... try and enjoy it!

Regards, EarlyGo
  • You probably wont be the only noob there, and you probably wont the unfittest either - everyone had to start somewhere including the guy/gal taking the ride, the last thing they'll want is to turn away potential members - just enjoy it , in this weather theres nothng better- you wont be expected to know it all on a first ride anyway. Have fun
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    50 miles at 15 to 17mph doesn't sound too easy to me! Good luck
  • crescent
    Thanks for the words of encouragement. I am looking forward to it, just with a lot of trepidation. I always ride alone, only participated in two group rides: 2011 Glasgow to Edinburgh which was fairly easy and the Etape Caledonia this year which was a humbling experience, I really felt I let myself down with a time of 5hrs 40ish. That is what worried me most I think, I really under performed due to a number of factors, all of which could fall under the heading of inexperience so I'm really keen not to let that happen again on Sunday. I will report back, hopefully on a high and not shattered by the experience :D

Cheers
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • Went on my first club run this morning, Ive been road cycling for nine weeks covering 50k a day at around 15.5mph avg.
    Its went some thing like this, 1mile nice and flat 14mph :D , 1st hill 1 mile steep :roll: then another :shock: and another :shock: and another :cry: guess what another :oops: so basically I haven't been training on hills to this degree and distance, I had the chance to ride back after 13 miles so did.

Great experience, no one gave a toss that I struggled on the hills, every one was friendly so back for more punishment next week. Training will be hills hills and more hills.
    Bianchi infinito 2012
    Specialized Secteur
  • Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 Posts: 441
    Good stuff, I am glad you enjoyed the experience.

Get out and ride those hills and before long you will be waiting for others at the top.
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • crescent
    Went along this morning and thoroughly enjoyed it. About 52 miles and overall average about 16.5mph, pretty quick for me. First half was with a tailwind which boosted the confidence no end. Nice bunch of guys, plenty of support and encouragement but thankfully I managed to hold my own for the main part. Really enjoyed riding in a group and will definitely be back for more.

Cheers
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    excellent. sounds like a good bunch. something i think that all clubs are going to need to address is how they deal with noobs. a lot are going to turn up ill equipped and unfit but still need to be supported and encouraged. get it wrong and they wont come back
  • Crescent wrote:
    Thanks for the words of encouragement. I am looking forward to it, just with a lot of trepidation. I always ride alone, only participated in two group rides: 2011 Glasgow to Edinburgh which was fairly easy and the Etape Caledonia this year which was a humbling experience, I really felt I let myself down with a time of 5hrs 40ish. That is what worried me most I think, I really under performed due to a number of factors, all of which could fall under the heading of inexperience so I'm really keen not to let that happen again on Sunday. I will report back, hopefully on a high and not shattered by the experience :D

Cheers
    :shock: 5hrs 40 ,as a real noob i did it and thought that time was pretty good considering the conditions
    2012 Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x (MTB)
    2011 Cannondale CAAD 10 (Road)
  • crescent
    webby 1805 wrote:
    :shock: 5hrs 40 ,as a real noob i did it and thought that time was pretty good considering the conditions

The weather was crap but it was more down to incorrect preparation and inexperience of how to approach it. Was hoping to break 5hrs at an average of 16mph ish but fell short by quite a distance. If I did it tomorrow I'm sure it would be achievable.

Cheers
  • Crescent wrote:
    webby 1805 wrote:

The weather was crap but it was more down to incorrect preparation and inexperience of how to approach it. Was hoping to break 5hrs at an average of 16mph ish but fell short by quite a distance. If I did it tomorrow I'm sure it would be achievable.

Cheers

Well I'm sure you and myself will be there next year to get to that 5hr mark :D and we will know what to expect.
    I did hate it at the time as i pushed myself and bike to distruction but looking back it was great two pints and back to my hotel knackerd.
    2012 Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x (MTB)
    2011 Cannondale CAAD 10 (Road)