Short travel Dropper Seatposts?

balmybaldwin
balmybaldwin Posts: 127
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hello,

I'm currently looking at getting a new light weight XC bike. now the bike I'm getting closest to buying is a Lapierre X-flow, and the 51cm is the right size frame length wise. The problem is that I also want a dropper post, and with the way the frame is designed, the maximum height from seat clamp to saddle that I could go for is about 145mm.

Are there any short travel dropper seat posts you can recommend me to look at to see if I can get one that fits?

From what I can tell a Rockshox reverb ist about 180mm from collar to seatpost when extended for the 125mm version, I think they do a 100mm travel one which would come up at 155mm. But then the collar itself is 25mm... so I guess what I'm asking is what is the smallest dropper seatpost (that is any good) with the minimum length bit sticking out of the frame?

Or is there a way to reduce the extension on a reverb or other dropper?

Thanks for your help.

BB
Bikes:
Cannondale Killer V 1995 (Promo model) - My first Race bike now converted to a commuter
Lapierre X-Flow 712 - XC fs rocket
Pivot Mach 6 - Enduro Machine
Pinarello FP2 - Roadie

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Light weight xc bike? Use a normal post.
  • Light-ish... I still want the option
    Bikes:
    Cannondale Killer V 1995 (Promo model) - My first Race bike now converted to a commuter
    Pinarello FP2 - Roadie
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The Reverb is good (though unreliable) but I prefer this one:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=80499
    I wouldn't use a dropper on a hardtail, I know various people who have tried it with various models & it seems to kill them not having rear suspension to take out the shocks.
  • It's not a hard tail - it' a 120mm Fs.

That link is for a Hope seat clamp?
    Bikes:
    Pinarello FP2 - Roadie
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Yep. Use your hands, rarely goes wrong.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Yes it is. It's 100% reliable, takes a couple seconds to raise or lower the saddle to any height and will never start to get a bit wobbly or sticky.