New Guy - South Tyneside

andy9964
andy9964 Posts: 930
edited August 2012 in MTB beginners
Bit of an intro before I start asking daft questions

I had a couple of bikes many moons ago, late ''90s early '00s. A Specialized Stumpjumper (rigid front and rear) which got 'borrowed' by some scrote, and was replaced with a Rockhopper A1 Comp with FS.
I had this a couple of years, before I had a disc fusion in my neck, and it became too uncomfortable to ride, so I gave the bike to my niece

Fast forward 10 years, and I'm now 47. Went to one of those 'well man' clinics the other day, and was told - lose weight and lower your cholesterol, or you're going on statins. As the nurse said, I have a crap family medical history, 3 out of 4 grandparents had strokes/heart disease, my old man recently had a stroke, and my mother has high BP. I weighed in at 5'10" - 105kg and 5.9 chol. And she gave me a 20% chance of going down the same road in 10 years time. To say I was shaken up, would be an understatement

Going to the gym was out, tennis elbow and, well, it's not very "get you out and about"
Jogging also crossed off the list, dodgy knees and ankles would take too much of a pounding

So my other option was, get another bike, a reasonably cheap, but decent used one. Get it set up so it's comfortable, and see how I go

So after scanning the classifieds for a week, I ended up getting another Specialized, a Hardrock Sport Disc with FS for a decent price. It needed a new bearing in the bottom bracket, and I'll be putting an adjustable stem on to lift the bars a little higher

I've had it a week now, and been out about half a dozen times. Already got my distance up to 10 miles at a (sometimes) leisurely pace. I feel a lot better already (cleaner, seems to be the best word to describe it), and really enjoying it, and I've already lost 1.5kg without really trying

So, that's me. Forums seem like a good place, plenty of knowledge and brains to pick. Hope I'll be around for some time

Andy

Comments

• Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Welcome! And good luck! It's great to hear you're doing something about it!

FYI, 'FS' usually means a full suss (front and rear suspension)

What you have is a hardtail (only a fork, no shock)
  • andy9964
    Ah, I see. I took it to mean front suspension. The Rockhopper i had, had FS in the model name, and it seemed the obvious abbreviation
  • Welcome to the forum. Shame you are on the 'wrong side' of the Tyne. :wink:
    Once they get the ped tunnel working again, you should pop across - there are some great little runs along the coast.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • andy9964
    Im from the 'right side' originally, moved here when I met the missus.
    There's some canny runs along the cliffs over here, I'll make do with them until the tunnel opens back up