384583_3386242909041_587651401_n.jpg

But it wasnt actually Wiggins
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/morg ... 50646.html
Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    It wasn't Wiggins.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    genuine...? any idea what toasted Piers' balls to utter such crap?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Piers did post that.

Someone else posted that response. It wasn't Wiggins and the person who decided it was obviously can't drive teh twitter.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    JGSI wrote:

Piers needs his balls toasting to utter such crap??? Isn't this just Piers being Piers? ie a c*ck!
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    As Iain has said, it wasn't Wiggo-definitely not. I thought that it was Piers though?
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    PBo wrote:
    JGSI wrote:

Piers needs his balls toasting to utter such crap??? Isn't this just Piers being Piers? ie a c*ck!

Is he an Audi driver..?
  • tigerben
    tigerben Posts: 233
    Pier's is a A1 C * N T who makes such pathetic comments in order to get air time / notoriety.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    So Piers Morgan tries to calm the Scottish outcry, after he insulted the Scottish Olympian ( on a side note, almost half of all team GB medals have been won by Scottish athletes) who refused to sing the “British Anthem”, or, as the rest of the UK views it, the English Anthem, God Save The Queen ( whose lyrics include “Rebellious scots to crush; god save the king ), by stating ” this isn’t braveheart, settle down”

Which honestly isn’t aided by the English radio station, BBC 1, calling team GB ( which should be team UK, as it includes northern irish athletes- which are not included in “Great Britian”) “Team England”. And not only on one occasion.

English Nationalists are some of the most intolerable people in the world
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Piers Morgan has been ranting on twitter for about a week now about how some of our athletes are not singing the national anthem during the gold medal ceremony's, and by not singing they are somehow showing a lack of respect to Queen and country.

He's been offering to donate £1k to great ormond st for every athlete that sings. Fair play to him if he does pony up the money but at the same time it does have a wiff of a PR stunt on Mr Morgans part.
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    Tom BB wrote:
    As Iain has said, it wasn't Wiggo-definitely not. I thought that it was Piers though?

I think you are correct because he later tweeted rather smugly how 'it wasnt Wiggins that replied'. Piers Morgan faked pics of the armed forces abusing Iraqis so its not like he is respectful to "queen and country". Anyway the queen is German and the anthem is awful so I cant blame any of the athletes for not singing. I dont think Wiggo or anyone would be that bothered, having 'done their country proud' competing extremely hard.
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,079
    Great response though. Sure everyone could think of a million comebacks to Piers' tweet. What a pure pr1ck Piers Morgan is. I'm annoyed that exactly the 'celebrity culture' that Wiggins railed agaisnt has infringed on my enjoyment of the Olympics. No doubt Morgan is just the type of slimy cnt that Wiggins had in mind when talking about the celebrity culture he despises.
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    ''God Save The Queen ( whose lyrics include “Rebellious scots to crush;''
    if this was ever true it was only for a few months during the middle of the eighteenth century when a minority scottish faction under charles stuart had invaded from the north as the first phase of a FRENCH INVASION planned to hit the south at Dungeness. Fortunately the rest of Scotland stood with the English because , lets face it, who likes the french?

''Anyway the queen is German''
    How many generations of your family have to live here before you become British? Do you come from an isolated part of the Lincolnshire fens (come to think of it, even those villages are largely polish these days).

''Piers Morgan faked pics of the armed forces abusing Iraqis''
    Now this is just libel isn't it? where were the mods when this got posted.

This thread is truly worthy of a place in bottom bracket
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,243
    priory wrote:
    ''God Save The Queen ( whose lyrics include “Rebellious scots to crush;''
    if this was ever true it was only for a few months during the middle of the eighteenth century when a minority scottish faction under charles stuart had invaded from the north as the first phase of a FRENCH INVASION planned to hit the south at Dungeness. Fortunately the rest of Scotland stood with the English because , lets face it, who likes the french?

''Anyway the queen is German''
    How many generations of your family have to live here before you become British? Do you come from an isolated part of the Lincolnshire fens (come to think of it, even those villages are largely polish these days).

This thread is truly worthy of a place in bottom bracket
    Maybe. But the anthem is sh1t.
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    Don't be such a bed wetter Proiry
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    priory wrote:

Actually it's true. The photographs were fake. I know this because at that time I was D/Sgt serving at the Digital Forensics Unit, HQ SIB RMP (UK), Bulford, Wilts. I examined the images myself. They were fake. We established that they'd been taken in the back of a 4 tonner from a UK based TA unit.

The post can stand.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Interesting MadRapper

Did Piers tweet that he was upset that Mo didn't sing the anthem...?

Oh likely not, because the public loves Mo. And so the others tweet all about it including Cameron.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    ''Actually it's true.''

We all know the photo's were fake and publishing them was a horrible deed by a ruthless , careless editor; but HE did not fake them as you very well know.
    and I do not wet the bed. More libel . I am calling the FBI.
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,550
    priory wrote:
    ''Actually it's true.''

We all know the photo's were fake and publishing them was a horrible deed by a ruthless , careless editor; but HE did not fake them as you very well know.
    and I do not wet the bed. More libel . I am calling the FBI.

The FBI? I forsee yet another jurisdiction case.....
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • keydon
    keydon Posts: 144
    Piers is affectionately and accurately known as Dick Ed.
  • Which honestly isn’t aided by the English radio station, BBC 1, calling team GB ( which should be team UK, as it includes northern irish athletes- which are not included in “Great Britian”) “Team England”. And not only on one occasion.

This bit has confused me during the olympics. In previous Olympics "we've" been referred to as "Great Britain & N.I." (i.e. the UK), whereas this year, in our home Olympics, it's simply "Great Britain".
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    priory wrote:
    ...but HE did not fake them as you very well know.

Obviously he didn't take them himself, but I don't know that they weren't faked at his request. I left the Army before the matter was concluded, so I won't drag my soap box out, but he's a devious little sh*t, so who knows?
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    This bit has confused me during the olympics. In previous Olympics "we've" been referred to as "Great Britain & N.I." (i.e. the UK), whereas this year, in our home Olympics, it's simply "Great Britain".
    I disagree. I have heard GB&NI said many times by commentators and whenyou see the team written down it is often the full name.

GB and Team GB are just handy shortenings as the full title is a bit of a mouthful "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland"......and even that name potentially misses out a fair few members of the team.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Of course, whether we choose to call it Great Britain, Great Britain and Northern Ireland or even the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, none of those include the Isle of Man, so why was Cav riding for us? The Isle Of Man is an internally self-governing Crown dependency. :D
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Of course, whether we choose to call it Great Britain, Great Britain and Northern Ireland or even the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, none of those include the Isle of Man, so why was Cav riding for us? The Isle Of Man is an internally self-governing Crown dependency. :D

That would only of mattered if he'd won!

Seriously though, calling our athletes Team GB is no different to them talking about "American" athletes, they are not Americans they are from the United States of America, but everybody knows what they mean. Commentating on sport is hard enough already, I think we can forgive them the odd bit of shortening!
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Daz555 wrote:
    I disagree.

It's not something to disagree with. It's a fact. Check the Olympics website, it just says "Great Britain".
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Daz555 wrote:
    I disagree.

It's not something to disagree with. It's a fact. Check the Olympics website, it just says "Great Britain".
    Yes it is a fact. The idiot responsible for the IOC website is an idiot.

I was however talking in more general terms - I have heard our 'full name' used many times during these Olympics.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • yes, so have I. My original post was mainly related to the medal table etc. which just say "Great Britain". Some of the commentators have included NI though.
  • keydon
    The delusions of a nation whose notion it is to bring greatness to their name by name is high larious. On the passport if you remove all but the first and last word you end up with "United Ireland", now that is class!!
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    keydon wrote:
    The delusions of a nation whose notion it is to bring greatness to their name by name is high larious. On the passport if you remove all but the first and last word you end up with "United Ireland", now that is class!!

...but the 'Great' in great britain doesn't come from anyone suggesting Britain is wonderful, but from 'Greater' meaning bigger. To nab a quote from wiki:
    After the Anglo-Saxon period, Britain was used as a historical term only. Geoffrey of Monmouth in his pseudohistorical Historia Regum Britanniae (c. 1136) refers to the island of Great Britain as Britannia major ("Greater Britain"), to distinguish it from Britannia minor ("Lesser Britain"), the continental region which approximates to modern Brittany. The term Great Britain was first used officially in 1474, in the instrument drawing up the proposal for a marriage between Cecily the daughter of Edward IV of England, and James the son of James III of Scotland, which described it as "this Nobill Isle, callit Gret Britanee." As noted above it was used again in 1604, when King James VI and I styled himself "King of Great Brittaine, France and Ireland."

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • keydon
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    keydon wrote:

...but the 'Great' in great britain doesn't come from anyone suggesting Britain is wonderful, but from 'Greater' meaning bigger. To nab a quote from wiki:
    After the Anglo-Saxon period, Britain was used as a historical term only. Geoffrey of Monmouth in his pseudohistorical Historia Regum Britanniae (c. 1136) refers to the island of Great Britain as Britannia major ("Greater Britain"), to distinguish it from Britannia minor ("Lesser Britain"), the continental region which approximates to modern Brittany. The term Great Britain was first used officially in 1474, in the instrument drawing up the proposal for a marriage between Cecily the daughter of Edward IV of England, and James the son of James III of Scotland, which described it as "this Nobill Isle, callit Gret Britanee." As noted above it was used again in 1604, when King James VI and I styled himself "King of Great Brittaine, France and Ireland."

Of course it does, what's said and what's meant often cross over and in the case of Twittish diplomacy this is always the case. United Kingdom is another, there is nothing nor has there been anything united about, Untied Kingdom or even Untried!!