Lightweight bike with suspension for road use

Darcey13
Darcey13 Posts: 18
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
I am a female with severe rheumatoid arthritis in both wrists. I currently ride a flat bar road bike. The slightest bump in the road causes unbearable pain and I've started to think about getting a bike with suspension. I really don't want to go off road so don't want an out and out mountain bike. My ideal bike would be a carbon flat bar road bike with slightly thicker tyres for cushioning and a suspension fork. The bike shops I've approached won't entertain putting a suspension fork on a road bike even though I am happy to accept full liability and the loss of warranty. Hybrids with suspension that I've looked at are not light enough as I really want a carbon frame. I wondered if anyone out there can help or advise. I have a budget of £2500.
Thanks

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    a 29er might be right up your street.
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    I agree a lightweight 29er with 1.5 slicks would be ideal.My mate uses a 29er as his main all round bike,off road with knobblies on road or for touring with slicks.The ideal compromise.

I`d take a look at the Planet X Dirty harry,or On One carbon race 29er would be well within budget.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • plet
    plet Posts: 34
    You'll need to get past a lot of prejudice but have a serious look at a Moulton. They are unbelievably comfortable being, essentially, a full suspension road bike. Not as light as a carbon bike but hardly breaking the scales.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    plet wrote:
    You'll need to get past a lot of prejudice but have a serious look at a Moulton. They are unbelievably comfortable being, essentially, a full suspension road bike. Not as light as a carbon bike but hardly breaking the scales.
    Just had to google them, the answer is NO!
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    plet wrote:

No. Just no. and then some more NO with a cherrie stamped NO on top.
  • plet
    plet Posts: 34
    As I said, there are some prejudices to get over ;-)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    A 29er is not going to be any more comfortable on the road really - especially if you get a 26er with larger tyres. I would buy an XC mountain bike with a lightweight fork such as a SID, and fit big foam grips. Getting the riding position right is paramount so I'd try before you buy.

Over your budget is this:

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... Suspension

Weighs about 9kg, so incredibly light.

Also the Flash carbon:

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... Suspension
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    The risk of a more racer oriented mtb is that the forward position may tend to put weight on your wrists more than a more upright style hybrid. You can always try to see obviously.

Hybrids generally come with front forks but they also tend ot be a little low end in components so not as light as you might want. Was thinking of something like the old Cannondale Badboy which had a Fatty fork but they have discontinued it. Probably not that different from the Flash Supersonic linked to though.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    Have a look at the Cannondale Quick CX bikes

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/can ... e-ec031470

Fatter tyres than a road bike, slightly more compact geometry, disk brakes and front suspension.

Hydraulic disks will help take some strain off the wrists, the geo could help take some load out of your arms without compromising handling, and despite the arguements, 700c wheels roll over road imperfections so much better than 26" wheels.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • What about the On One Lurcher? Fits the bill, really nice components, and within budget. You could also try the gorgeous Schwalbe Kojak 2.0s too. The tyre will contribute a lot to your comfort. The 1.5-1.6 tyre may be a little hard for the ride.
  • Darcey13
    Darcey13 Posts: 18
    Thanks for your input everyone. Lots for me to think about. I went up to Planet X a few weeks ago and loved their carbon frames, I'm just a bit worried that the geometry of their 29ers might leave me with the saddle very high and so supporting a lot of weight on my wrists which is also painful. With a 29er do I go for a bigger frame if I want to be more upright? I'm 5'9".
  • supersonic
    A larger frame will stretch you out more, possibly putting more weight on your wrists. you can always tweak final position with higher bars and stems though.

Also be aware that carbon frames are not always the lightest options, plenty of light alu frames out there, and you usually get a lighter, better spec to boot. Though it does depend.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Certainly I'd suggest going down one size on the frame to shorten the top tube, combine with a shorter stem and swept back bars should get you sitting back more to unload your wrists.
    A 29er makes sense as the larger wheel naturally takes the sting out of any lumps and bumps combined with a short travel fork to take some more out and you should be good to go.
    I would stick with at least a 2" front tyre.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    With a budget of £2500 you could probably get a hand made frame built to your requirements. Any of the top frame builders will be able to measure you up and build something nice and lightish. It will be a steel frame but top notch Reynolds or similar butted steel frames arent too far off an aluminium frame. Match the frame up to a lightweight fork some fat 2 inch slicks, comfy saddle and Ergon grips and you should be able to burn up the miles.

Dont get too obsessed with the weight you can go further and faster on a comfy bike than a torture machine that weighs 5 pounds less.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • lawman wrote:
    Why? Fits all Darcey13's requirements (as long as 12.9kg is not too heavy) and would leave @£700 change.

DSCN3448-1024x768.jpg

Separates to carry in the boot of the car too.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Two peoples' first posts are just to hustle Moultons. Seriously?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Voyager03 wrote:
    lawman wrote:
    Why? Fits all Darcey13's requirements (as long as 12.9kg is not too heavy) and would leave @£700 change.

DSCN3448-1024x768.jpg

Separates to carry in the boot of the car too.

:shock: I call troll!
  • supersonic
    13kg is very heavy compared to what she seems to need. The spec is awful for £1800! No damping in any of the suspension either
  • supersonic wrote:
    13kg is very heavy compared to what she seems to need. The spec is awful for £1800! No damping in any of the suspension either
    What is 'awful' about a the 'spec' of bike that has a spaceframe? And there is friction damping in the front forks.

Clearly people here know everything about bikes they have to Google to know what they look like. :roll:
  • supersonic
    Spaceframe? Friction damping? It has budget parts fitted, is heavy, poor suspension and will be thoroughly and utterly outclassed in performance and weight by any XC bike, even on the road. You obviously disagree, but I think it is a bad choice compared to the alternatives.

Spaceframe is just a buzz word for the lattice contruction. Very flexy too, despite their claims, and they don't even specify the steel. I see a £500 bike. That said they are 'fun' to ride (I have ridden a few!), but not sure the OP wants that!
  • cooldad
    Voyager03 wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    What is 'awful' about a the 'spec' of bike that has a spaceframe? And there is friction damping in the front forks.

Clearly people here know everything about bikes they have to Google to know what they look like. :roll:
    Just like a car. In 1895.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Voyager03 wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

The technical definition of a spaceframe is "Rigid structure constructed from interlocking struts in a geometric pattern" sounds like virtually every bike frame I have ever seen.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Each to their own.

Clearly if it is not some superannuated Victorian safety bicycle festooned with pointless tat many of you find it difficult to understand. But the Moulton TSR would still be a bike that I would suggest the OP could try to see if it alleviates their particular problems.
  • cooldad
    Voyager03 wrote:
    Each to their own.

Clearly if it is not some superannuated Victorian safety bicycle festooned with pointless tat many of you find it difficult to understand. But the Moulton TSR would still be a bike that I would suggest the OP could try to see if it alleviates their particular problems.
    Well if you are Moultons PR dept, you are doing a rubbish job, and if not, you are deranged.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Voyager03 wrote:
    Each to their own.

You are free to suggest anything you like and thats fair enough, but the OP would surely need both her eyes removing and a full lobotomy to consider being seen on something so unbelievably vile?

It pains me to say but have you considered recumbent?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Voyager03 wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

Tiny little wheels over potholes and the like? Hmm. nice.
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    Voyager03 wrote:
    Each to their own.

Clearly if it is not some superannuated Victorian safety bicycle festooned with pointless tat many of you find it difficult to understand.

You've overstepped a mark.

I've ridden a Moulton and it's quite an interesting machine. However, it suffers from the same issue as every other small wheeled bike, and that is it makes any road imperfections seem mountainous - and thats in spite of the trick forks and elastomeric back-end - so for that reason (and several others issues associated with small wheels), I discount it as a valid option for the OP.

You'll never beleive this, but my partner has bad wrists; and here's the funny thing - she discounted small wheels when she was looking for her new bike too. Guess what - she's now on a hybrid with 700c wheels!! Tah-dah!!

Amazing, eh?

So, tell me, smartarse - what am I finding difficult to understand?
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    topic has now been clean up of the personal attacks.

but to add my tuppence ha'penny as much as i respect Mr Moulton for his work with the suspension on the Mini and his work on getting small wheeled bikes to ride like a regular bike that is the problem here it does not fit the OP request.

my suggestion would be a 29er with a light weight fork.

Now Kids keep the crap in the crap catcher.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Another suggestion for you to alleviate pain on your wrists.Have a look at heavily backswept handelbars such as On One`s Fleegle,Mary of Snorky bars.

I sometimes ride my girlfriend`s Dawes hybrid whcih has heavily back swept bars whcih gives it a very traditional sit up and beg position but really takes the pressure away from your wrists.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • andy_welch
    andy_welch Posts: 1,101
    I guess we are not talking about a bit of discomfort here, but a lot of pain. Also, I'm no expert in RA, but would it be fair to say that the sensitivity is unlikely to reduce over time and may get worse? In which case it may call for something a bit more radical than bigger tyres, grips or even suspension. Yes, I'm also talking recumbents here. Love them or hate them, some of the designs pretty much remove any pressure on the wrists.

Cheers,

Andy