BMX Shoes - Olympics

Mr Wookie Man
Mr Wookie Man Posts: 43
edited August 2012 in Pro race
Not quite the right forum page I know, so sorry for that, but....

Can anyone tell me if the BMX riders are wearing proper cycling shoes & if so, with or without cleats?

I always thought they wore pedals with trainers but in the start gate it looks like - at least some - are wearing road shoes.

Their legs go too fast for me to get a good view though :)

Comments

• They've got cleats according to the commentator yesterday. Apparently have been so for last 5 years or so according to him..
  • PuttyKnees
    PuttyKnees Posts: 381
    Yes, with cleats.
  • Thanks, it was distracting me from watching.

So, to put this into a mathematical formula for simplicity.

Chance of crashing x need for acceleration + keeping attached to bike when jumping = cleats (apparently).
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Keeping attatched to the bike is a skill not a function of the cleats - it's just about power transfer out of the gate. Same reason they use smaller gears, everything after the first stright is about pumping the jumps/rollers/berms for speed not pedalling
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • PuttyKnees
    Seems everything is about the start. No way back from a crappy start.
  • Well GB had a good round of finals lol
  • If I'd have waited until after the final, I wouldn't have needed to ask the question.

Maybe they should start using toe straps?
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    If I'd have waited until after the final, I wouldn't have needed to ask the question.

Maybe they should start using toe straps?
    My choice would be to ban cleats or straps, it's BMX ffs :roll:

Not impressed by it to be honest.
  • I really enjoyed watching that.

I have no knowledge of BMX and not likely to take it up, but I thought it was compelling viewing.

Shame the final is only one race though as the result seems heavily dependent on (bad/) luck. I prefered the 3 race format in the semi's as that seemed a better way of showing who the strongest riders were.
  • [quote="Mr Wookie Man "Shame the final is only one race though as the result seems heavily dependent on (bad/) luck. I prefered the 3 race format in the semi's as that seemed a better way of showing who the strongest riders were.[/quote]

The commentator summed it up by saying they could race again the next day or in 10 minutes and result would be completely different. The start must be so important with seemingly little way of get back a poor start with good riding.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    Entertaining in its own way and I wish I had their skills, reminds me a bit of short track speed skating where a person miles back can suddenly win as everyone else crashes. The rounds seem to take account of this with several races but the final is then just a one off race of chance! Maybe they could do it as an elimination race for the final? However, I'd rather get rid of it and have the IP back in the velodrome.
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    I enjoyed it, but then I'm a mtber. Most of them are using spds I believe
  • PuttyKnees
    Thought it was great to watch, but totally daft to have it down to a single race.