eBay - BNIB Boardmans

cookdn
cookdn Posts: 410
edited August 2012 in Commuting chat
Apologies for this random query, just very curious about what is going on.

I still have a daily email from eBay notifying me of new Boardman related items being listed. This dates from last year when I missed the only sized small CX Team I've seen by literally a day. As I subsequently bought the bike I should probably cancel it but have picked up a couple of useful items cheaply including a longer head stem as a consequence of getting it. What surprises me is how frequently brand new bikes are listed (boxed and unboxed). Doesn't seem to be a particular type, I've seen MTBs, hybrids and road bikes.

What gives here? Do people genuinely buy > £500 bikes, decide they don't want them but can't be arsed to request a refund (I've seen people include photos of receipts)? Do people get them as unwanted gifts (surely before splashing out that type of money you would find out whether it was wanted)? Are these bikes sourced on a Cycle-to-work scheme and then immediately sold on (surely the bike isn't technically theirs to sell at that point)?

Best regards
David
Boardman CX Team

Comments

• gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Bought on C2W and sold on, I would have thought - effectively an interest free loan. Certainly people in my old office did this allot on the older scheme.

No, it is not theirs to sell, but who will find out or care? My old employer would not chase or check.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Could be insurance replacements.

Lots of insurance companies have a specified retailer who they'll encourage their customers to go to for a replacement. If they want something that Halfords' don't sell then getting the best Boardman their insurance will pay for and then immediately selling it isn't a bad idea.

Probably better to insist that your insurer gives you a cheque rather than Halfords vouchers though....
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."