Flaps!

bails87
bails87 Posts: 12,998
edited August 2012 in Commuting chat
Flappity flap!

Any tips for making a little flap for a mudguard (SKS Bluemels), to stop water flicking up onto my toes when I'm going fast?

A bit of old innertube cable tied on, or something more elegant?
MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."

Comments

• kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    The Chromoplastics come with a wee flap. You might be able to get a spare from SKS to fit on.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Or if you can't then send me dimesions and a sketch and I'll make you something up.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    SimonAH wrote:
    Or if you can't then send me dimesions and a sketch and I'll make you something up.

is comments like that, that make me me feel all warm an fuzzy inside

you wouldn't get offers like that on other forums!
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    mudcow007 wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:

is comments like that, that make me me feel all warm an fuzzy inside

you wouldn't get offers like that on other forums!

This is true. Not many forums would offer to handle your custom formed wet rubber flaps.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • woodnut
    woodnut Posts: 562
    Bit of plastic pop mottle and a couple of pop rivets? Hardly elegant but will work

Edit : Pop bottle :roll:
  • ToeKnee
    ToeKnee Posts: 376
    Seneca wrote:
    It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
    Specialized TriCross Sport+Ultegra+Rack&Bag+Guards+Exposure Lights - FCN 7
    Track:Condor 653, MTB:GT Zaskar, Road & TT:Condors.
  • bails87
    SimonAH wrote:
    Hmm, what are you thinking of? I'm happy to make something myself with a bit of plastic* or innertube.

*Actually, this is an excellent excuse for a trip the hobbycraft, mrs B will be happy! :lol:
    MTB/CX

• gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    ToeKnee wrote:

they are very effective though, got one on the Hybrid but they do look a bit odd, as they curl around the wheel

107ox1c.jpg
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    Cut to shape Damp Proof Course zip tied on. Far better than pop bottle (although that is the old boy flap of choice around here).
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • Bordersroadie
    Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
    Go as low as you can - my home-fashioned mudflap is about 50mm from the ground. It catches on kerbs etc occasionally, but it just bends back to position no problem.

Seriously though, well worth doing, mine's a section of a big size Flash liquid bottle, fixed with two M4 bolts/nuts. Makes a massive difference especially to wetness of feet even through big puddles. Using the Flash bottle means it's got a sort of mudguard profile to it already - perfect.

This is a bad photo taken last winter, but you get the idea. As you can see I live down a farm track!

P1030828.jpg
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,963
    Take some scissors to an old water bottle. Tank tape. Easy.
  • bails87
    I was in the supermarket yesterday and spotted a 'tile smoother' in the DIy section. Made of black, rubbery plastic. So I bought that (about £1), cut it down to size, drilled holes in that and the mudguard and ziptied it in place:

DSC01535.jpg
    DSC01536.jpg
    MTB/CX

• Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    bails87 wrote:
    I was in the supermarket yesterday and spotted a 'tile smoother' in the DIy section. Made of black, rubbery plastic. So I bought that (about £1), cut it down to size, drilled holes in that and the mudguard and ziptied it in place:

DSC01535.jpg
    DSC01536.jpg
    This is what makes our nation so great.
  • Bordersroadie
    Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
    Soooo-perb!