How did my bike get so heavy?

rockmonkeysc
rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
I have never had particularly light bikes, my last one was a large Giant Reign X which weighed a ton but when I put my 456 Summer Season on the scales after putting it on a diet I was shocked.
I used to use it as a hardtail DH bike and it was hillariously good fun but heavy, built up with RS Domains, Intense MAG30 rims, Saint cranks & dual ply high rollers.
I weighed it last night and it's 32lb, I expected under 30lb with the build below:

Frame - On One 456 Summer Season 18"
Fork - Rockshox Pike 454 dual air
Wheels - Mavic XM719/Switch evo
Brakes - Juicy Seven with 160/180 rotors
Bars stem & seat post - Gravity Gap
Cranks - Deore
Rest of the transmission - SLX
Tyres - Maxxis Advantage 2.1" (with tubes)

Surely it shouldn't be that heavy or is the 456SS frame filled with lead? My downhillbike is only 7lb heavier!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Cheap steel frame, this one weighs nigh on 6lbs! The pikes are knocking on 5lbs too. I am guessing the finishing kit adds up too. Id have expected more than 32lbs to be honest!
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Bikes are heavier than folk think. SS +1
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    well you did start with a heavy frame.

about the same weight as my 150/140 travel AM/FR fun bike.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • rockmonkeysc
    I didn't realise the 456SS frame was that heavy and the Pikes felt pretty light after taking off the Domains!
    The Pikes are staying as they are Push tuned, have a few special parts and are awesome, even nicer than my Boxxers. Maybe a Cotic BFe frame will make it lighter.
  • nicklouse
    Maybe a Cotic BFe frame will make it lighter.
    not really
    Weight - 5.4 lbs for the 16" frame
    The end result is the Summer Season, a frame based on the standard 456. It shares the same geometry but with the all-important change to the head angle, reducing the numbers from 69.5° to 66.6° (when used with a 5” fork). Tubing is DN6 plain gauge chromoly and is finished with a clear coated matt finish, leaving all the welding clearly visible. There’s disc brake mounts, cable guides under the top tube, vertical dropouts and rack mounts. Frame weight is 5.4lb (
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • supersonic
    Why not get a Carbon 456?
  • nicklouse
    supersonic wrote:
    Why not get a Carbon 456?
    •Weight 1500g (3.3 lbs)

so a saving of 2lbs
  • supersonic
    Could be more, am sure the actual SS weight is more than 5.4!
  • rockmonkeysc
    What would be the ideal hardcore hardtail frame for a good weight/strength?
    The 456SS was more than strong enough for a year of DH racing so I guess thats a lot more bulk than I need now.
    I'm a bit on the tubby side and crash a lot so I don't like the idea of a carbon frame.
  • supersonic
    The carbon frame is tough though, it would be the one I get. if going steel, you are only going to get a bit lighter, so not worth it. Alu will dent easier than carbon will crack.
  • rockmonkeysc
    The aluminium hardcore hardtails I have ridden (Mmmmmmbop, Crush & Zen) have all been too harsh, the 456SS might be stiff but it does have a bit of spring to it.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Put your bike on a dodgy set of scales that read low. Your bike'll register under 30lbs and you'll be happy.

It sounds more like a mental issue really.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I weighed my slayer on some fishing scales and it said 35lbs, i didn't think it was that heavy! :(
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    ilovedirt wrote:
    I weighed my slayer on some fishing scales and it said 35lbs, i didn't think it was that heavy! :(
    So surely it doesn't matter then?

If you're happy riding the bike then it's not 'too heavy'. It's all arbitrary and pretty meaningless. People are happy with the weight of their bike, then they put it on the scales and all of a sudden its too heavy? :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."