London one-dayer

2»

Comments

• FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    A one day sprinters race is fine - there's loads of them around in the 1.2/1.1/1.hc categories. Doesn't mean it would not be nice to see a race on more challenging terrain in the UK as well

If they don't manage to secure 1.hc (or even wt) status, or link it to the ToB the field will probably be quite a bit quite modest.
    At least Boris' doing the launch means there's a good chance of it actually going ahead next year
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Surely it'll be 1.1?
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Jez mon wrote:

Wouldn't that be the idea? Stops them crashing every 15m?

That would be the idea, not to stop them crashing, as much as making a very tough race, think there are a fair few 3/4s who would fancy themselves doing well in something other than the typical boring circuit race!

As for the course, think I'd rather have a bit of a dull course with a race that gets held for a good number of years, with good support, rather than a race that offers a more exciting race, but which only has one or two editions. But then, as a southerner, I guess I'm not exactly impartial!

If there are a fair few 3/4s who fancy themselves as doing more, then why aren't they E/1/2s?

Also this course was called dangerous by quite a few of the pros racing. If they thought it was dangerous, what would it be for the average low cat amateur trying to go as hard as they can?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Surely it'll be 1.1?

How does the categorization work?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    hammerite wrote:
    A 3/4 race over some of the Surrey hills might be a bit tough for a lot of 3/4s. Riders would be scattered all over the place, although maybe not so much of a problem on closed roads.

Are any of these on tough hilly courses? http://www.surreyleague.co.uk/calendar.htm (I have to admit to not knowing Surey and it's hills very well).

Surrey League doesn't have any 3/4 races, they don't promote races which allow 4th cats on open roads other than in handicap E/1/2/3/4 format. Straight 3rd cat races - Bletchingley and Staplefields are both tough hilly circuits. Milland Hill has a 25% hill in it but it's pretty short more of a sprint up. Walliswood or Ewhurst are flat however both have the option for a finish up Leith Hill which is a pretty tough climb although that isn't usually used in 3rd only races (is for 2/3)

None of the "big" surrey hill climbs are on suitable circuits for road racing as they tend to connect with main roads.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Surely it'll be 1.1?

The first number says whether it's a 1 dayer or a stage race (1 for 1 day, 2 for stage).

The 2nd is the prestige/points available.

So in descending order it goes World Tour, HC, 1, 2 etc.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Surely it'll be 1.1?

There are 4 levels.

- At the top you have World Tour races.
    - Then 1.HC or 2.HC
    - Then 1.1 or 2.1.
    - Then 1.2 or 2.2.

The first number signifies either a one-day race or a stage-race, while the second number signifies the category. So a 1.1 would be a one-day race in the third tier (equivalent to Kuurne-Bruxelles-Kuurne, Dwars door Vlaanderen etc).
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    squired wrote:
    Could a route that is a variation of the Olympic route actually avoid Box Hill?
    Yes, by adding a couple of miles to the Olympic circuit.
    Stay on the A24 until junction with A25 and turn left.
    Then proceed to Betchworth and junction with B2032, turn left to climb Pebblecombe Hill and back on the circuit at Headley Common Road.
    Have one circuit of Box Hill and the next circuit up Pebblecombe.(times 3 or 4)

Make the last circuit up Pebblecombe and then see how big the peloton is and how many sprinters are left.
    That would be similar to the old Flanders but with 3 times up the Muur. :twisted:
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    I dunno, I can't help but feel it's a wasted opportunity...But then there isn't much on around that time of year
    There are other Europe Tour events about then and normally the end of the Tour of Poland and San Sebastian would be about that date. Both had their dates shifted this year, one back, one forward, because of the Olympics.

It’s a good idea to bring a UCI race to the UK (and I think too there are better route possibilities, say using Manchester and Leeds areas to attract the public and sponsors), but I wonder about the peripheral events, whether they are too ambitious for the first-time.

The anticipated/hoped-for participation is 100,000, three-quarters doing the free 8-mile ‘fun’ ride on the Saturday, the rest doing the 100-mile sportive or criterium on the Sunday. To cater for that many cyclists at once, all on closed roads, strikes me as a real major undertaking. Some of those doing the 100-mile will probably take over 8 hours. Maybe when it gets closer, it’ll be announced only the London bit of the sportive is on closed roads? And then there's the required parking and other facilities at the start/finish areas.

In case anyone is interested in the sportive but hasn’t yet looked at the website, entry fee is £48 and it appears you get a commemorative cycling jersey. Not cheap, but I suppose it could be worse.

The keen will of course first do the London-Edinburgh-London Audax, starting on 28 July, and back in London just right, on August 2.
  • Pross wrote:
    Sounds good, be nice if they took in a few of the other Surrey hills we hear so much about!

Nah.

Surrey hills are usually - narrow - wooded - badly maintained - liable to flooding - covered in twigs.
    And have 4x4s coming at you at speed, filling most of the road and refusing to acknowledge your presence.
  • thegibdog wrote:
    The Ride London "Classic"? Why don't they just go the whole hog and call it the Ride London Monument?

Isn't there already an event called the London Classic?
    \'You Come At the King,You Best Not Miss\'
  • dave milne
    dave milne Posts: 703
    Agreed there are other parts of engalnd with better terrain. But it's going to be much harder to attract the field and the potential crowds in other places. Hence London.

Given the amount of short steep horrible climbs in the north downs you could easily create a flanders style classic just south of London albeit with no cobbles but again you'd struggle for crowds I think

Plus try telling me the london buildings don't make an iconic backdrop?

There is a London Classic but it's a charity 40 mile ride starting and finishing in a pub. Can't really imagine the organisers care too much
  • dave milne wrote:
    There is a London Classic but it's a charity 40 mile ride starting and finishing in a pub. Can't really imagine the organisers care too much

It might be the (original) London Classic organisers mind though - two bike events with the same name is going to lead to confusion, even if one is a pro race and one is a charity ride.
    \'You Come At the King,You Best Not Miss\'