Two problems (First World).

Ben6899
Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
edited August 2012 in Commuting chat
First problem. I am REALLY struggling for motivation to jump on the bike and head out – I’m down to two rides a week at the moment; one generally Monday or Tuesday and then one at the weekend when I have more time to drag myself out of the house. I just don’t seem to have the energy midweek.

I don’t know what to do. My girlfriend says it’s normal to maybe not feel like it for a month or so and not to worry about it. But cyclists aren’t normal. Are we? We thrive on the speed, the exhilaration and the suffering. Right? So task 1 is to re-find my love for cycling and get motivated. Tips please.

Second problem, is that when I’m on the bike I don’t feel as strong as usual. I don’t know whether I am fatigued or if I have simply hit a plateau, which I am struggling to push beyond. There were times on the ride before last when I could have easily unclipped and walked home, my legs felt shit. So task 2 is to address this as I think it leads into my first problem.

Does anyone have any tips on fuelling and re-fuelling? I always thought I ate well enough – I eat healthy food and I eat as much as I need; never scrimping on carbs, protein or calories and worrying about my weight. But can I do anything extra to fuel and re-fuel more efficiently – to make me feel less worn out when in the saddle? How about protein shakes? Whey powder? Others? I’m just putting these out there – I have never tried them and I am sure they divide opinion. But I’m willing to try anything at the moment!

Sorry for clogging Commuting Chat with my First-World problems, but I need to get back on the bike with a smile on my face.
Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    1) Relax about it. If you don't fancy it, don't do it. It's only fun after all. Maybe go for a nice pootle in the sun on a nice weekend where you can go for as short or far as you fancy.

And f*ck cycling being all about suffering. It's macho bull.

It's only a hobby, and if you don't like doing it anymore, don't do it. Think of it like a relationship. You yearn for the good old times but it's not like that anymore, so don't fight it and make yourself miserable.

It'll come back if you chill.

2) Dunno.
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    I agree with Rick. It is a hobby you should enjoy it. If you do not then maybe time to step away for it for a while and perhaps persue something else. Or perhaps another facet of cycling? This is one of the reasons we will not sell our MTB's it allows us to go do some cycling in a different environment with different demands. Keeps things fresh.

We always go away for a week in Wales in September. Nothing like climbing a hill and just stopping for 10 minutes to soak it in. As with anything you do something for a long period of time and interest will come and go.

Nothing wrong with that. Regarding your performance. Sounds like a lot of it is maybe in your head? Over thinking it maybe? Just go out and ride and enjoy it. Hook up with some mates and do a trip to somewhere at a leisurely pace with some Banter and a cafe stop?
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    Simple question - Are you drinking enough?

I find if i have a very fine threshold of hydration that separates being up for anything and curling into a snoozy ball.
  • shearno
    shearno Posts: 11
    1.beetroot
    2.beetroot
  • Ben6899
    Thanks for the replies, Rick and twist.

I do need to stop worrying about performance, I think, and settle for a pootling pace now and then. I think a problem is that I am generally solo (still trying to make IRL sporty mates down here) and so there's no one to roll and banter with at the moment. I have my eye on Rapha CC's midweek RP rides for a start, but I have a feeling that will probably be more like a chain gang; not really the antidote for my 'problem'.

I am heading out to Hertfordshire tomorrow (might pop into Shorter) and I am now promising myself that I will take it easy and give myself chance to take it all in.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Ben6899 wrote:
    I am heading out to Hertfordshire tomorrow (might pop into Shorter) and I am now promising myself that I will take it easy and give myself chance to take it all in.

Sounds like a good idea.

Don't be afraid to take time off the bike for a while too.

I fell out of love of cycling for a bit when I kept on riding through some awful weather in a winter - getting punctures, too much hassle on the roads etc.

4 months later I was itching to get back on it.
  • walkingbootweather
    walkingbootweather Posts: 2,443
    edited August 2012
    Get yourself to the doctor. There could be an underlying physical or mental condition. A couple of quick tests will rule this out, or may identify any actions that might be necessary to get you back to your old self.

Is it just on the bike or do you feel more fatigued with other activities or life in general?

Good luck
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Thanks for the replies, Rick and twist.

I do need to stop worrying about performance, I think, and settle for a pootling pace now and then. I think a problem is that I am generally solo (still trying to make IRL sporty mates down here) and so there's no one to roll and banter with at the moment. I have my eye on Rapha CC's midweek RP rides for a start, but I have a feeling that will probably be more like a chain gang; not really the antidote for my 'problem'.

I have the same problems myself with motivation for weekend rides, I am also a soloist. If i am out and about in herts tomorrow, (I dont live to far from Shorter, either of them), the sight of me should hopefully cheer you up, but i'll keep my eye open for a pootling cyclist looking for his Mojo.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    I would say - stop pushing when you are out riding - just pottle along and put up with people overtaking you (often a slow ride can do more to improve fitness than a fast one) sometimes you body just tells you that you have been pushing it too hard. A slow ride will certainly not make you less fit and you may enjoy smelling the roses for once.

Do that for a couple of weeks and then come back here and tell us how you are back to enjoying cycling again!
  • shearno
    shearno Posts: 11
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Does anyone have any tips on fuelling and re-fuelling?

According to new research from Exeter University , beetroot juice could give your workouts a powerful boost.

In the study, professional cyclists who drank about a pint of store-bought beetroot juice before riding in a simulated competition shaved vital seconds off their finish time - which could be crucial in a sport where seconds often make the difference between winning and losing.

Beetroot juice is already touted as a health tonic for enhancing sexual function and digestion, lowering blood pressure, sharpening brain power, increasing energy, and even bolstering stamina.

The performance boost, researchers say, is due to the high levels of nitrates in beetroot juice. While it's not clear how it works, they suspect that when nitrate turns into nitric oxide in the body, it reduces the amount of oxygen required to perform exercise. High concentrations of nitrates are also found in celery, cabbage, and other leafy green vegetables such as spinach and some lettuce.

Previous studies by the university have attempted to uncover the impacts of beetroot juice on physical activity. A study released last summer revealed that beetroot juice enhanced performance in endurance athletes while lowering resting blood pressure. Researchers claimed that beetroot juice could help increase exercise time by 16 percent and in ways that couldn't be achieved by training. Yet the latest research from Exeter went a step further to claim that beetroot juice can be effective in a competitive environment.

Another study from Exeter, recently published in the Journal of Applied Physiology, found that drinking about 500ml (a little over 2 cups) a day of beetroot juice can reduce oxygen re-uptake and make low-intensity activities, such as walking, less exhausting for seniors, especially those with heart and breathing problems.

UK juice company James White, who provided the beet juice for the studies, sells a bottled beet juice called Beet It that is 90 percent organic beet juice and 10 percent apple juice, which the company claims smoothes "over the slightly earthy aftertaste of beetroot juice on its own." A US manufacturer is Biotta Juices, which sells a bottled 100 percent fermented beet juice. Wake Forest University in the US is working with a company to create a new beet juice beverage that they claim will be tasty, and they hope to bring the product to market soon.

For at-home juicers, even hardcore health aficionados urge to never drink beet juice without a mixer, such as with other vegetables or apple juice, and to not overdo it. Pure beet juice (from the bulb or greens) could temporarily paralyze your vocal chords, make you break out in hives, increase your heart rate, or cause chills or a fever. So juice with caution.
  • Ben6899
    Get yourself to the doctor. There could be an underlying physical or mental condition. A couple of quick tests will rule this out, or may identify any actions that might be necessary to get you back to your old self.

Is it just on the bike or do you feel more fatigued with other activities or life in general?

Good luck

This is on my To Do list, mate. I generally feel okay from day to day - running has taken a back seat as well, but it generally is something I do through winter as I find British summers make for uncomfortable conditions.

Thank you!
    Ben

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    To be honest, whenever I have one of my "can't be arsed" times on the bike I just drop to a lower gear and spin along. I don't worry about times or distances and it's so much easier to pootle along.

I soon get the feeling of fun back.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Ben6899
    rubertoe wrote:
    I have the same problems myself with motivation for weekend rides, I am also a soloist. If i am out and about in herts tomorrow, (I dont live to far from Shorter, either of them), the sight of me should hopefully cheer you up, but i'll keep my eye open for a pootling cyclist looking for his Mojo.

Nice one. Keep an eye out for me, I'll be on a black n white Dolan. Probably wearing black and white as well!
    Ben

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I'm a bit this at the moment. I generally feel exhausted. The year has been crap until now weather wise and I've hardly enjoyed any weekend rides. Not that I've done many - the only thing that drags me out is the 100k challenge so I'd be fat now if it wasn't for that. Last month I covered 360 miles - that's 300 less than I managed in January!

When I do ride I feel tired though actually my pace seems unaffected. I put it down to work based aggravation rather than a physical thing. I'll probably look to joining a club (though, at the moment I do feel slightly motivated for a weekend run up Calderdale) to give me some variation and in a couple of months I think I'll look in to giving track cycling a go. I do get bored of hobbies after a while so need to freshen things up to keep the interest alive.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • I feel the same at the weekends, I just cba to go out, I think this is the fact that I have upped my commuting mileage so averaging around 250 miles a week, which is a problem , as I would really like to have a go at doing 100 miles and already have planned a route, its just the motivation that I require
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    This can happen. Sometimes it's a symptom of overtraining. Sometimes it's other things in life that are causing stress. As others have said relax and enjoy riding for a bit rather than blasting everywhere. Cycling needs to be fun rather than a chore.

For me I've had similar periods of lethargy in 2010 and 2011. It was the couple of months after the marmotte on each occasion. I'd had months of training and work stress before the event and then couldn't be bothered afterwards.

@sharkysurfers That's the main reason why I normally only bike commute four days a week.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,340
    Cycling is exclusively commuting based for me, and is as much a financial necessity as a hobby. TBH, I need the two days off the bike at the weekend after at least 150-odd miles + SCR nonsense. I do get bored of the commute now and then, so I try and change my route every so often - I also try and cycle to as many meetings as possible for a change of scenery. On the odd occasion I do get out into the country, I tend to take it easy and enjoy the view.

PS. I don't have a computer, so I don't get sucked into the numbers, and Strava can go and take a running jump. This may or may not be significant.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Got to enjoy it first, I do use strava but I don't take it seriously.

it's a bit of fun, much like SCR.

I have a short very nice pootle though the park to work, or latenight on way back I can flog my self, nothing like charging though the pitch black to be honest.

I have a SS roadie and a oldish MTB depending on mood I take them out, or sometimes not.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    4 points that pretty much tie in with what is above.

1. The body needs recovery/rest periods. Maybe this is the time.

2. Cycling will highlight any underlying health issues. Maybe you are on the cusp of coming down with something.

3. For motivation, you need to vary your routes.

4. It's a hobby not a regime. Enjoy. :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Ben6899
    N+1
    Ben6899 wrote:
    I am heading out to Hertfordshire tomorrow (might pop into Shorter)...

:)

Thanks for all the input gents, it's really appreciated. Some food for thought.
    Ben

• Try riding with no computer. It's really relaxing - not giving a damn how fast you're going.
  • @ben & rubertoe... the solo commuting lark can be tiring - esp when done flat out most of the time; thats why I find the (comparatively gentle) weekend rides with the club(s) relaxing yet stimulating, its good to ride in company and chat.

If you fancy company on a moderate (13 - 14mph+) pootle round Hertfordshire and/or the Chilterns this Sunday I'm up for it. Not sure where either of you are but PM me if you do.

RuberToe - did you ever get out to ride with the Southgate lot?
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • aeon
    aeon Posts: 167
    without wanting to get all psychoanalytical, how's everything else in your life? if you're tired, stressed, bored at work, or whatever it can affect your desire to get on the bike. i remember reading somewhere about a semi-pro who used a merit/demerit system to add up all the stresses in his life; e.g. if he'd had a really relaxing long weekend, that was +2, but if he was really busy it work it was -1 etc., the idea being to build up a more rounded picture of his overall state and potential for performance.

in general though i think the advice is - if your body/mind is consistently telling you not to do something, then it's probably worth listening to it. this isn't just about avoiding injury from overtraining, either... if i really, really don't feel like riding - and it's only happened twice this year - i'll get PT, because if nothing else i don't want to be inattentive on public roads...

finally, it would be remiss of me not to mention the possibility of an N-1 situation either. maybe you just need a really fast, shiny, expensive new bike to get your spirits up.
    FCN 10 - Crosstrail
  • I dont think you're listening to your body. if its telling you to rest - then rest, give it time to adapt to the effort. Also are you eating and drinking enough on the bike. As mentioned above nt being hydrated enough can eat into your performance really quickly - especially on these hot days.

For recovery I use these

Rapide from Zipvit - easily the best recovery drink I've tried - eliminated muscle ache and evrything. Zipvit also do a sampler in mine I got a small sachet of rapide - but it looks like they may hav echanged it - either way for a fiver you get a bottle and some energy food.

Also ForGoodnessShakes do an excellent recovery drink - more tastier than the zipvit one as just as effective.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Ben6899
    Cheers guys. I am taking all this in and I have also PM'd OptimisticBiker about a steady ride on Sunday. :)

And that's a great offer on the ZipVit site, Cleat, thanks for pointing it out.
    Ben

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Also the zipvit choc orange recovery bars are lovely. Omnomnom
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    @ben & rubertoe... the solo commuting lark can be tiring - esp when done flat out most of the time; thats why I find the (comparatively gentle) weekend rides with the club(s) relaxing yet stimulating, its good to ride in company and chat.

If you fancy company on a moderate (13 - 14mph+) pootle round Hertfordshire and/or the Chilterns this Sunday I'm up for it. Not sure where either of you are but PM me if you do.

RuberToe - did you ever get out to ride with the Southgate lot?

How did you two get on with the Ride?

SWMBO had me doing all sorts and I am awaiting some parts to re-build the groupo on my bike, you really dont want me clunking in your ear with a dodgy BB for two hours.

Edit, - Its tomorrow my bad.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    For a boost I found cherry active really good before bed. That said, sounds like you just need to take a complete week off then near the end of that week have a think about whether you can be bothered or not rather than look for a magic supplement that will have negligible benefits at best.

If you can't be bothered just quit. After seven years of weight training I decided to pack it five years ago - never regretted it - just found other things to do instead.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I'm close to Regent's Park. Give me a shout if you want to have a pootle round there. Lethargy happens. Your mojo will come back.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."