Difference between cycle to work schemes

antybrow
antybrow Posts: 10
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
Is anyone aware of what the differences between the various schemes are?

We don't have one at work, so I'm trying to understand if there are any particularly good (or bad) schemes, before recommending one to go with.

Cycle Scheme seems to be popular, I've also seen Bike 2 Work and Bike To Work (confusingly.)

Do all bikes shops accept all schemes, or do they have to be affiliated to one or other?

Comments

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    When I got my bike on C2W a couple of years ago most bike shops were tied to one scheme provider although I think some now accept more than one.
    Some large shops offer their own schemes (e.g. Halfords, Evans, Wiggle). I think some 'online' stores accept Cyclescheme vouchers but they also have a bricks and mortar shop so you probably just post them your voucher for them to process.
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    No real difference, they all work off the same guidelines from the gov. I would just look for the bike you want as if you were shopping normally, then find out which scheme you need to go through to buy that bike from that shop rather than choose a scheme first and limit your options.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,179
    You don't actually need to use a scheme, in fact when I was looking at it there is no real benefit. Your employer can buy the bikes direct which often means you can take advantage of end of season sales or negotiate deals that you won't get through the cycle scheme as the scheme administrator has got the supplier down to the bare minimum already (for their own benefit) and end up with more bike for the available money.