Which Tyres? near death experience

no_regretz
no_regretz Posts: 9
edited August 2012 in MTB beginners
Hey folks wonder if you can help, i had purchased a rockrider 8.0 a few days ago and had taken it for a test ride in wet conditions. I was riding on the road/pavement and more than one occasion the wheels/tyres slipped from under me causing me to near crash. scarred the hell out of me :cry:

The bike is amazing and I will be using it mainly for commuting and and some off rode riding around rivington

So my question is am i a bad rider (riding a XC bike on road) or should i get some tyres that will be better suited for on/off road

The tyres at present
26x 2.0" tyres with wide lugs.

open to suggestions thanks
Loyalty Over Money

Comments

• omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    What tyres ?

And what pressure are you running them at, I dont think you need to change them just yet :lol:
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    no_regretz wrote:
    . . . I was riding on the road/pavement and more than one occasion the wheels/tyres slipped from under me causing me to near crash. . .

First suggestion - don't ride on the pavement. On to the main issue. Roads can be slippery, and the knobbly tyre of an off-roader isn't best suited to cornering on them. The knobs can flex, causing the tyre to "walk" away from the centre of the turn, there's less surface area on the road than a road tyre and the tyre itself can roll on the rim, all of which can make cornering tricky. Add to that mix diesel spills, road film, white lines and slick tar and you have quite an obstacle course when it's wet. It's more likely that you need to get used to how these tyres (and any other off-road tyres) behave on wet roads than you need to change them
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    err new to disk brakes

too much weight on the front wheel........

caught off balance a little......
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    estampida wrote:
    Go on, explain this one.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    estampida wrote:
    Go on, explain this one.
    Double DH tubes? Heavy man.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    cooldad wrote:
    estampida wrote:
    Go on, explain this one.
    Double DH tubes? Heavy man.
    :lol:
  • Giraffoto wrote:
    no_regretz wrote:
    . . . I was riding on the road/pavement and more than one occasion the wheels/tyres slipped from under me causing me to near crash. . .

First suggestion - don't ride on the pavement. On to the main issue. Roads can be slippery, and the knobbly tyre of an off-roader isn't best suited to cornering on them. The knobs can flex, causing the tyre to "walk" away from the centre of the turn, there's less surface area on the road than a road tyre and the tyre itself can roll on the rim, all of which can make cornering tricky. Add to that mix diesel spills, road film, white lines and slick tar and you have quite an obstacle course when it's wet. It's more likely that you need to get used to how these tyres (and any other off-road tyres) behave on wet roads than you need to change them

I appreciate that and it does explain a lot considering this is my first decent bike, even in dry conditions i can feel off balance on straight roads against white lines but i guess just taking a bit of getting used to and being a bit more careful.
    Loyalty Over Money