Bikes on First Great Western Trains

liamcorrigan
liamcorrigan Posts: 49
edited February 2015 in Commuting chat
Just wondered if anyone had experience of taking a bike on FGW trains regularly, specifically between Swindon and Bath?

After a few years of some fairly ridiculous commuting, I've managed to get a job a bit nearer home (in Bath - I live in Swindon) and I'm looking forward to having an opportunity to get back on my bike daily. My plan is to cycle to the station then jump on the train with the bike. That way on the odd nice evening I can give he train a miss and ride the 30ish miles home. Not sure how easy this is going to be in practice though, and I'm a bit unclear on whether the bike has to booked on and if this brings an extra charge with it. I need to give FGW a call to find out what the process is but figured some real experiences and advice might be more useful.

If taking a road bike on isn't practical, my dad's also offered me his old Brompton to use, although this would scupper my plan to ride all the way home every now and again and I reckon I'm at least 10 years away from finding a folding bike even remotely appealing...

Cheers,

Liam

Comments

• lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    As far as I'm aware, no train company charges for carrying bikes. A lot of them recommend reserving a place though. FGW's cycle policy is outlined here.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Simply attach a small surgical steel hook to one bar end and wear the bicycle as jewelry. If challenged aver your obvious subterfuge play the race card.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,088
    A non-folder in rush hour might be a challenge, but don't underestimate the Brompton. A number of forum members here ride them to great effect, regularly humbling those on 'proper' bikes. IIRC, there was a thread about a long distance Brompton ride a few weeks back, so with the right adjustment, it can be done.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    On my recent LonJog there was bromton rider who ended up 800 miles in 9 days, he was also on last Friday nights Brighton ride. distance doesn't appear to be a problem on one.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • FGW are fine with bikes, I put mine on every day for the trip to Paddington. On the intercity trains there are 6 spaces at the end of coach A. You have to reserve a space - fairly easy process I have got friendly with the ticket office guys and they now do a month in advance (be prepared to have a stack of tickets). Even though you have a reserved place it doesn't mean you get on the train as there is no one really monitoring who puts on bikes. There are 3 extra spaces in the engine carriage which the guard can use if he is feeling friendly.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Slightly off topic; I was stood next to a guy on the Reading to Paddington train, we were both in Standard Class, he had a Briompton bike and had folded it away and put it in First Class.....as there was no one in there.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    FGW are fine with bikes, I put mine on every day for the trip to Paddington. On the intercity trains there are 6 spaces at the end of coach A. You have to reserve a space - fairly easy process I have got friendly with the ticket office guys and they now do a month in advance (be prepared to have a stack of tickets). Even though you have a reserved place it doesn't mean you get on the train as there is no one really monitoring who puts on bikes. There are 3 extra spaces in the engine carriage which the guard can use if he is feeling friendly.

Just thought I'd add that FGW are pretty lax about biked being put on trains. But every now and again there will be a train manager that won't let people on without a booking. Make sure you reserve if you absolutely have to get on a specific train. Virgin train managers will not let you on the platform at Euston without a bike reservation, for what its worth. I found that out to my detriment...
  • So just phoned Great Western and got a bike reservation number, is this all I have to show, Fella didn't want an email address or anything will the platform people have my reference to check? Going to Cornwall for the Tor of Cornwall ride in April.
    Moda Prima 2013
    Giant Defy Advanced 1 2014
    Rose Pro DX Cross-3000 'MB' - STOLEN
    Langster SF 2015
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Yeah, just a ref number is all you need if they ask.

See you at the Cornwall Tor!! You doing the full distance?
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • Thanks, not doing the full distance, doing the 82 miles, going to have a 30 mile round trip to get to the start as it is. Looking forward to Millook.....
    Moda Prima 2013
    Giant Defy Advanced 1 2014
    Rose Pro DX Cross-3000 'MB' - STOLEN
    Langster SF 2015
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    GiantDance wrote:
    Thanks, not doing the full distance, doing the 82 miles, going to have a 30 mile round trip to get to the start as it is. Looking forward to Millook.....

Milook on it's own is fine, its then Crackington, Boscastle, Tintagel etc... that'll be the killer!! :)
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • I take my bike down to Wales now and then, on the paddington-Swansea line, works fine but you do need to book and during rush hour/s can be very busy. The bikes go in the guards van, so I'd not use a expensive bike as someone could just walk away with your bike.

But it does work well, and on bank holiday/weekends can upgrade to 1st class which is nice.

Sounds like a brompton sort of journey have to be said, I keep thinking about one my self...
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    I've been turned away even though I had a reservation. If the train is crowded cheek to cheek there's not a lot the guard can do. To much hassle to try and get a bike on a train at rush hour every day IMO, I left a bike locked up at the station. Very easy, lots of n+1 potential.
  • curto80
    curto80 Posts: 314
    I gave up taking my bike on my train commute after I missed my stop because I couldn't unearth my bike from the mountain of luggage it had been buried under in the dedicated bike space area. I now cycle my cheap MTB from home to the station and then pick up my single speed the other end for the 10km ride into work. Neither bike cost more than £200 so whilst I'll be annoyed the day one gets nicked, it won't be the end of the world. And it's a lot less hassle.

I know that this doesn't help your occasional ride home plans but honestly you'd be better off just going out when you get home than trying to stay sane taking your bike on the rush hour train every single day.
    Rose Xlite Team 3100 Di2
    Kinesis Tripster ATR
    Orro Oxygen