Setting up an Octalink BB with single Chain Ring..

thekickingmule
thekickingmule Posts: 7,957
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I have an old bike that I'd like to convert from 3 rings up front, to just one. I've done the chainring bit, but am wondering how to keep the chain from falling off.

My original plan was to just whack a single chain ring on, put the e13 chainguard I have on and then fly away. However, because it's an Octalink BB, I can't have an ISCG mount thing, or anything that can be held in by the BB (that I'm aware of).

Is there any way I can set up a chain device onto this old bike? Will a bash stop the chain from falling off? Am I missing something ovbiously and just being an idiot?

PS. It's late, I'm tired, and I can't figure out if any of that just made sense!
It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
Blender Cube AMS Pro

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    get a E type BB for it and use a bb mount or an ISCG adaptor and you are good to go.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Do you mean one of these, Nick? (Found that link from another thread on the forum thanks to google)
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • nicklouse
    that is an ISIS bb you say you have octalink.

You need an E type verion of your current BB so say 113mm 66mm e type or what ever size you have.
    ISIS it is a whole new ball game.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Yep, that's me being stupid. I think I have this one at the moment, I'll get the BB out (which I was trying to do earlier, but the thing wouldn't budge!) and then upgrade.
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • nicklouse
    so something like a
    Shimano ES51 Octalink Bottom Bracket
    68 x 113mm E-Type - English Thread
  • You're a scallop and a gentlefish, Nick. Found one on CRC so will find out what size I need and order that one in E-Type flavour.

Thanks!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro