Gore gear cables worth the extra?

mikezer0
mikezer0 Posts: 122
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
Evening all,

it's time for some new cables in my Shimano xt levers... so are Gore gear cables worth the extra?

Comments

• YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    In my opinion - no.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Nope. Sp41 a couple of meters and a few stainless inners. Change the lot every year ish.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    +1 to no

If you want tarty cables then IMO Power Cordz are better, Gore ones are great until you get any contamination in the liner when they deteriorate very rapidly.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    Erm...well I like them, on both the roadie and the MB (usually)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    come as standard with Sram gear kit. but would not buy them. a good set od stainless steel inners and outer.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Well worth it to me - running various sets on road and MTBs, oldest about 3 years and still running as new with zero maintenance. Not worth it if you like fettling and are fine with changing normal cables every year, I'd rather be out riding though.
  • I've always used cheapest deore stuff, never had issues as I always run a full outer.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    The only reason you need a kit is for the ferrul parts. Other wise just buy sp41 of the roll, it's so much cheaper, and few few stainless cables, exactly to same stuff that come with xtr kit, the xtr inners offer very little extra.
  • bikaholic
    bikaholic Posts: 350
    Yes, the Gore Ride-On Sealed Kit is worth it.

Ten years on one of my xc bikes, four on the commuter, three on the road bike is testament enough to convince me.

It's the only cable system that is totally waterproof (thanks to the grub seals) at the derailleur end, the rest are splash proof at best (Alligator iLinks, Nokon, Power Cordz, Flying Snake, custom mix 'n' match setups etc).

The Gore Ride-On Pro Kit is not as good since it's unsealed at the derailleur end.

Numpty setup will result in the inner cables fraying at the clamp bolt area.

Ignore the installation video from the Gore website when cutting the outers to length - always measure the cables on situ and observe how they bend before cutting as they are stiffer.

Standard 5.5mm ferrules (that fit 5mm cable brake outers) will fit if the supplied Gore ferrules are too wide for your frame cable-stops.