Total Pleb

Manc33
Manc33 Posts: 2,157
edited August 2012 in The bottom bracket
Just coming to the top of a hill today, a cyclist with a very dry sounding chain squeaked past me, quite fast.

Next up: the downhill bit.

I expected this speed demon to blast off down the hill with the same enthusiasm he had blasted past me - my guess was he had literally just set off and had a lot more energy left than me. I was coming back off a 10 mile ride trying to beat my personal best as it was and what did he do, just casually rolled down the hill, so I got pretty close to his back wheel, gave myself 10 seconds to overtake him and whoosh, I rode past him and got to the lights at the bottom of the hill.

I was there at the lights for about ten seconds before he finally caught up, but rather than wait at the red lights, he just went straight across the junction, I guess to "beat me".

I stood at the lights clapping my hands together loud enough for him to hear me as he squeaked off down the road.

DONKEY.

Comments

• Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    There's never a fast moving lorry around when you need one is there!! That'd learn 'im!!
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    He probably wasn't trying to beat you. Your existence probably barely registered to him.

You're ranting on a web forum, he's going about his day. If he even he did register seeing you, he's certainly forgotten now.

Chill out.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Or you could have saved some letters and said "I saw someone RLJ today" :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Rolf F wrote:
    Or you could have saved some letters and said "I saw someone RLJ today" :lol:
    or
    "I scalped someone today who deserved it as he is a RLJer" :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    He doesn't sound as bad as the kind person who threw a half full McDonalds/Burker King drink at me last night whilst I was riding.

Nice wide and quiet rural road - a Subaru Outback passes me at 60-70mph and out of the passenger window comes a rouge drink. Retard missed me. It took me a while to register what happened.

I just can't comprehend the stupidity of some people. I've seen that car somewhere before.............
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,399
    ^^^ looks like we live fairly close to each other (Northamptoncestershire)- I had an "experience" with a Subaru a few days ago . . . where were you?
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • jordan_217
    It was on the B662 between Clopton and Old Weston (the road that runs alongside the back of RAF Molesworth). It's a long, flat stretch of road - lovely for hitting some nice cruising speeds, not so nice in a head/cross wind though. Last night *was* perfect, until this nobber came along.

Anyway, what issue did you have? Was it in a similar area?
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    jordan_217 wrote:
    He doesn't sound as bad as the kind person who threw a half full McDonalds/Burker King drink at me last night whilst I was riding.

At least you're looking on the bright side, perhaps he wasn't feeling so positive... :lol:
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,399
    jordan_217 wrote:
    It was on the B662 between Clopton and Old Weston (the road that runs alongside the back of RAF Molesworth). It's a long, flat stretch of road - lovely for hitting some nice cruising speeds, not so nice in a head/cross wind though. Last night *was* perfect, until this nobber came along.

Anyway, what issue did you have? Was it in a similar area?

Just some nobber shouting something out of the passenger window as he sped by - a real hero! I was on a lane around Husbands Bosworth/North Kilworth/Kimcote area if you know it - quite a way from Old Weston so probably not the same person (maybe its a Subaru thing!). I need to put some miles in over the next couple of weekends . . . may look to get out that way but need to find some way that avoids the A14 and similar. I live on the Northants/Leics border so thought we might be close.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    Monkeypump wrote:
    He probably wasn't trying to beat you. Your existence probably barely registered to him.

You're ranting on a web forum, he's going about his day. If he even he did register seeing you, he's certainly forgotten now.

Chill out.
    :shock: :? :o
    It's ALWAYS a race.
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    jordan_217 wrote:

Nice wide and quiet rural road - a Subaru Outback passes me at 60-70mph and out of the passenger window comes a rouge drink. Retard missed me. It took me a while to register what happened.

I just can't comprehend the stupidity of some people. I've seen that car somewhere before.............

Hi, can you please refrain from using this word as a derogatory term, as some on here find it fairly offensive. Thanks.
  • DF33
    DF33 Posts: 732
    Retard is a French word used daily. It simply means late, as in en retard, it's late.
    Peter
  • Anonymous
    DF33 wrote:
    Retard is a French word used daily. It simply means late, as in en retard, it's late.

I'm pretty sure 99% of the people who use this word do not use it as a French term for being late, hence you felt the need to enlighten us to its origin and meaning. As its use as an insult is fairly offensive to some, I was simply asking the author not to use it.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    jordan_217 wrote:

if it was dark, how did you know it was a red drink? :P
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Zingzang
    Zingzang Posts: 196
    Hi, can you please refrain from using this word as a derogatory term, as some on here find it fairly offensive. Thanks.

The far-right socio-political implications of the word pleb may be even more disturbing than the word retard, but I would never presume to admonish someone for using it.
    What I do find "fairly offensive" is people who self-righteously create moral platforms from which they try to dictate which words are offensive and which words can or can't be used.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 wrote:

Hi, can you please refrain from using this word as a derogatory term, as some on here find
    jordan_217 wrote:

Noted. Apologies for any offense caused.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Zingzang wrote:

The far-right socio-political implications of the word pleb may be even more disturbing than the word retard, but I would never presume to admonish someone for using it.
    What I do find "fairly offensive" is people who self-righteously create moral platforms from which they try to dictate which words are offensive and which words can or can't be used.

So. You're offended by him being offended?

How offensive!
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Zingzang wrote:

So. You're offended by him being offended?

How offensive!
    I'm feeling a sense of deja vu
  • Anonymous
    jordan_217 wrote:
    jordan_217 wrote:

Hi, can you please refrain from using this word as a derogatory term, as some on here find
    jordan_217 wrote:

Noted. Apologies for any offense caused.

No apology needed, just maybe me being a bit too sensitive. Being the dad of 2 autistic boys I hear the flipside of comments and the meanings of some terms changes. I didn't mean to make you feel bad or admonish you, thanks for being ok about it.
  • Anonymous
    Zingzang wrote:

Not being very clever I had no idea the word Pleb was rooted in that way.

Also, not on any moral/self righteous platform, just been in situations where my 2 son's have been referred to in that way and I find it highly offensive and upsetting. I try not to put people right about it but sometimes I can't let it slide. You would hardly use the N-word in the company of a black person, would you ?
  • Zingzang
    Zingzang Posts: 196
    Zingzang wrote:

Also, not on any moral/self righteous platform, just been in situations where my 2 son's have been referred to in that way and I find it highly offensive and upsetting. I try not to put people right about it but sometimes I can't let it slide. You would hardly use the N-word in the company of a black person, would you ?

I am a disabled cyclist (paracyclist) myself. I have been called names in my time, including by road rage motorists who have wanted to beat me up, but then realised I am not fair game and have chosen to verbally abuse me instead for being, in their eyes, physically inadequate. I don't get upset at name calling, even if I can understand how other people might do, especially on behalf of their own children.
  • Anonymous
    Zingzang wrote:
    Zingzang wrote:

I am a disabled cyclist (paracyclist) myself. I have been called names in my time, including by road rage motorists who have wanted to beat me up, but then realised I am not fair game and have chosen to verbally abuse me instead for being, in their eyes, physically inadequate. I don't get upset at name calling, even if I can understand how other people might do, especially on behalf of their own children.

Fair enough, I think we both get each others perspective.