So Help for Heroes means Chandeliers for Stately Homes?

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited August 2012 in Commuting chat
Real shame. Not sure how I feel about this at all - is this the best use of all the willingly given money? Restoring stately homes? Sounds rather more like a vanity project than well targeted support for injured veterans to me.
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• To be fair - the rich and powerful who send the young of this country to die in a foreign land should do so in comfort.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Have to say I was slightly hacked off by this - especially as the treatment centres are not available for those who are no longer in the services - I would have thought they were the ones who really need the money
  • I am disturbed by the fact that HfH has to exist in the first place. If the government can't afford to support injured (ex) servicepeople properly then it shouldn't be sending them into harm's way in the first place. To find out that HfH is just basically subsidising MoD projects rather than supporting individuals doesn't make it any better.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I am disturbed by the fact that HfH has to exist in the first place. If the government can't afford to support injured (ex) servicepeople properly then it shouldn't be sending them into harm's way in the first place.

Quite.
  • Maxticate
    Maxticate Posts: 193
    The Royal British Legion have services that veterans and their families can access.

That is who I tend to support by giving my money.

Although I dislike the fact that not for profit organisations such as charities end up being run like businesses with large investments in marketing and management to ultimately rake in higher donations. There seems something distasteful about that.