Bushcombe lane Cheltenham.

natsnoz
natsnoz Posts: 235
Im doing Bushcombe lane on saturday. I have climbed all the biggies ish, ie portway, frocester, haresfield beacon etc Birdlip (witcombe) is tough because of the length of it. Bushcombe has a 10/10 rating in simon warren's new top 100 hill climb book. Haresfield and Frocester are only 5/10. This does make me anxious for Buscombe!!

Time will tell!

Any others smashed it up there and how is it compared to Birdlip/portway etc.

Ta

Comments

• ctc
    ctc Posts: 232
    I tried by accident a couple of weeks ago. Was doing some training for the Blenheim 100, and approached Cleeve hill from Winchcombe. Went over the top and came down the other side.
    Little did I realise that the route I had created on Garmin Connect would then take me up Bushcombe Lane. I turned up there unawares, went partially up and then came across the first of the 25% signs. Thought 'oh sh*t'.
    Managed a few 100 yards before I had to stop and walk up. Felt well and truly beaten.

Because it's a residential road that has a few twists and turns you can't see what's coming up next, or how much further you have to go, which was pretty disheartening at the time, because I was already feeling pretty knackered. Mind you I was out of breath just walking up it... :-) Got home and looked it up properly and then found out about Bushcombe lane.
  • Brute of a climb. 1st attempt was on road bike. Goes very steep early on and stays steep. As mentioned, its a series of short straights with sharp bends so you can't see very far ahead. I got to a point where I was struggling to even keep moving, but aimed for the next left bend in the hope that was the summit, but when I got there and saw the lane continue up like a wall I climbed off. (first time ever).
    2nd attempt was on my MTB a few weeks later, and in granny gear, combined with knowing what to expect, I rode to the top, took all I had though!
  • natsnoz
    Well....... It was a real tough climb. Got to the last sharp left hander which registered 30% on my garmin and i got off as all i could see was a damn wall before me!! So, i have to return and ride to the top. A cracking climb though. We incorporated a 50 mile ride through winscombe, toddington hill, chipping camden, dovers hill, broadway and back to Tewkesbury. Stunning weather, countryside and hills. Jobs a good un!
  • leejdavies
    leejdavies Posts: 217
    Just checked out Bushcombe lane on Strava. Looks quite a beast. Not sure how it became a 10/10 if Haresfield is a 5/10! Because that's brutal given it's length and evil false flat after the 27% burst.

My folks live in Hartpury so when I go back with my bike I have a great choice of rides; Malverns, The Forest of Dean or the Cotswold 'ridge'. Always nice to find new killer hills. Cheers. I'll report back when (rather if) I give it a go.
    Up: Wilier Mortirolo
    Down: Orange Patriot
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    edited August 2012
    Yeah, it is a brutal hill that one but, as per all steep hills, the conditions and previous miles can make a big difference. I have been up there a few times without any real problem but had to jump off on Sunday when I hit it after about 50 miles and the back wheel started spinning in the damp on the last bit of that sharp left hander (there were also some small patches of moss that have recently cropped up in the middle of the road which didn't help as I had to try and wiggle past them whilst struggling to keep the bike upright). Quite frustrating as once you get past there then the climb is all sorted...even though it continues uphill you can ease off the effort to drop below your red line and build momentum to the finish.

One of my hill training routes is to go up Bushcombe, drop down into Winchcombe and then leave by going up Sudeley Hill via Castle Street (for a totally different and much more enjoyable climbing experience) before heading out into the Cotwolds and on towards Stow. I won't bother again though until the roads are bone dry.
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    I walked up it a few days ago as part of my normal dog walking duties. The slopes were littered with rusting bikes and panting hollow-faced cyclists. :D
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • Where is the haresfield 5/10 climb ? Anyone have a link? Finally did witcombe to birdlip on friday which I didn't think was that bad. Came up 8th on strava without much effort
  • natsnoz
    Strava link for Haresfield beacon

http://app.strava.com/rides/12948822#228371225
  • antop34
    antop34 Posts: 62
    I ride Bushcombe regularly on my full suss mtb. It is a total killer, but only 2 mins from my house, so fresh legs help. It is a quick way to get up to the top of Cleeve and slightly safer than the main road. Being a mtb sloth i am currently 68/79 on strava, but reckon I could shave minutes off my time if I really pushed it. Top rider is currently at 6:34 and i am 14:32!!

Also a nice mtb loop round the top of Nottingham hill (although footpaths so be careful) then head up to Cleeve Hill Golf Course, do the lap round the hill and blast back down. Happy days! :D

Also try Stockwell lane and Gambles lane for other lungbusters.
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    One of my hill training routes is to go up Bushcombe, drop down into Winchcombe and then leave by going up Sudeley Hill via Castle Street (for a totally different and much more enjoyable climbing experience) before heading out into the Cotwolds and on towards Stow. I won't bother again though until the roads are bone dry.

I rode up Castle Street (slowly :) ) as part of a Sportive a few weeks ago. I had to chuckle (with what breath I had left) when one guy said, "I live in ze French Alps, but nothing can prepare you for ze hills of ze Cotswolds". :)
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • IGH
    IGH Posts: 22
    It was on the old Cotswold Corker 100km populaire. To ride up it required getting to the front of the bunch, otherwise you'd get baulked by the wobblers and walkers. The event used to attract over 100 entries, which made a crowd on the hill.
  • evets5
    evets5 Posts: 1
    You may be aware that Bushcombe Lane in Woodmancote, Cheltenham represents an outstanding hill climb. Indeed, the route even gained national publicity when the Guardian designated it the 7th toughest climb in the UK and therefore a bit of a local treasure for Gloucestershire.

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2012/ ... cle-climbs

You may therefore be interested to learn that a planning application has been submitted to build 41 houses with spaces for at least 90 cars about 100 yards up Bushcombe Lane. While the hill would still remain it is thought that the considerably increased traffic and changes to the Lane would negatively impact on its attractiveness for enthusiasts.

It would be appreciated if any of you members who know and value the climb and are concerned over the changes briefly register their concerns by 23rd May 2014 by the following means:

Email: developmentapplications@tewkesbury.gov.uk

Writing:

The Development Manager at Tewkesbury Borough Council, Gloucester Road, Tewkesbury, Glos, GL20 5TT by 23rd May 2014

quoting reference number 14/00318/OUT

Thank you for your support.

Best regards
  • Tried it earlier tonight. Made it to the bottom of the "wall" on the left hand corner.
    Nice route up Cleeve Hill none the less.
    I am working in Cheltenham and stay over a couple of nights each week. The area is fantastic for cycling with so many on bikes including commuting. I bought my bike up a couple of weeks ago when the clocks turned. Usually I go around Wainlode hill, deerhurst, stoke orchard and Gotherington. Great quiet lanes.
    Dave (not) in Swansea (tonight).
  • I live nearby but have never summoned up the courage to try Bushcombe Lane. Having failed on Porlock Hill (A39) recently, Bushcombe looks tougher.

More enjoyable climbs exist in the area. The nearby Sudeley Hill climb is a good challenge and has some great views.
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    Ahh bushcombe hill, it's on my list of things to conquer this summer. Probably be on there next summer for that matter
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Never heard of it but keen to have a go now.

Think Birdlip is the toughest I have been up in Cheltenham, although the climb after tou go past the Green Dragon had me so convinced someone was pulling on my saddle I actually looked around to check :lol:
  • woody0010
    woody0010 Posts: 27
    I really want to try this climb as its just up the road for me. The only problem I have with attempting it is that I regularly drive up this hill. I can't remember the last time I drove up it and didn't meet oncoming traffic. This isn't so bad whilst driving but I don't think I'd be able to start going again if I had to stop.

Maybe we need to organise a group ride up it to motivate us all.

I also looked at the route for the upcoming cheltenham wiggle sportive. All 3 distance routes go via the castle street hill past sudeley castle. That could be carnage.
  • Anonymous
    Had a go up it today but could not do it in one go :oops:
    It just kept going and going at a crazy incline.

No traffic problems but I had to re start on a massive incline (see above :cry: ).

Much much harder than Birdlip or anything I have done before.
    Have never had to stop mid hill.................it abused me :shock:

The wiggle sportive looks good but its the week before RideLondon so might have to give it a miss which is a shame as its so local.
    Can you recover fully in a week?
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    Guys when is the wiggle sportive around that area? Sorry too lazy to google!
  • Anonymous
    Russyh wrote:
    Guys when is the wiggle sportive around that area? Sorry too lazy to google!

Did you have to log in to ask that? Seems more effort to ask the question and then wait/check back for the answer than to google it :shock:

Do you know what week RideLondon is?
  • woody0010
    Carbonator wrote:
    Had a go up it today but could not do it in one go :oops:
    It just kept going and going at a crazy incline.

No traffic problems but I had to re start on a massive incline (see above :cry: ).

Much much harder than Birdlip or anything I have done before.
    Have never had to stop mid hill.................it abused me :shock:

The wiggle sportive looks good but its the week before RideLondon so might have to give it a miss which is a shame as its so local.
    Can you recover fully in a week?

I would have thought a week was doable for recovery. If your already capable of riding the "epic" routes then I see no reason it wouldn't be enough time. I'm currently training to be able to ride the "epic" route so I know its going to hurt me.

The last training ride I did to truly push my miles up took me maybe 4 days to recover. After that I was fine, and I was proper f****d at the end of the ride too.
  • Anonymous
    Went up Bushcombe again, on a 34/28 this time.
    Still had to stop once but it was a big improvement over my first attempt.
    Third time lucky I am hoping.
  • woody0010
    Carbonator wrote:
    Went up Bushcombe again, on a 34/28 this time.
    Still had to stop once but it was a big improvement over my first attempt.
    Third time lucky I am hoping.

Have you ever tried to go up stockwell lane? just curious as driving up it today it looks a much harder and longer road to ride. I'm going to give gamblers a go next week. Currently recovering so I can take the OH on the british heart foundation ride in sunday at the racecourse.
  • Anonymous
    I went up Stockwell Lane after 1st attempt of Bushcombe and I thought it was much easier.
    Had to stop once but was on a heavier bike with smaller cassette. I felt I could do it in one on my lighter bike with 28 sprocket fitted. Especially if had not just spent 30 minutes struggling with a bigger climb :(

Might head straight for Stockwell next time although Bushcome is the one I want to conquer.
  • woody0010
    Carbonator wrote:
    I went up Stockwell Lane after 1st attempt of Bushcombe and I thought it was much easier.
    Had to stop once but was on a heavier bike with smaller cassette. I felt I could do it in one on my lighter bike with 28 sprocket fitted. Especially if had not just spent 30 minutes struggling with a bigger climb :(

Might head straight for Stockwell next time although Bushcome is the one I want to conquer.

I was looking forward to trying Bushcombe tomorrow although I don't fancy trying it on wet roads. I've never climbed a hill that steep on dry roads and don't fancy my wheels spinning and slipping with me at my limit. If its drys up though I'm going for it!!
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    IGH wrote:
    It was on the old Cotswold Corker 100km populaire. To ride up it required getting to the front of the bunch, otherwise you'd get baulked by the wobblers and walkers. The event used to attract over 100 entries, which made a crowd on the hill.

More like 300 on the event. Sean Graff and family ran it for years. My first attempt was on Thursday evening ride
    when I first came to Cheltenham in 2000. Attempted it on 42 x 26. Failed. Moved on to triples and have completed
    it every time (26 x 23, or 24 x 21, depending on which bike I used), albeit with bursting lungs and burning thighs.

On the Corker I'd set off with first group of fast riders and let them go off down the road. By the time arrived at the
    left turn to Bushcombe Lane the riders had spread out, so there was no one blocking my way to crawl up the climb.
    Worked for me every time.
  • woody0010
    Finally got round to going up this tonight. Had planned on doing a longer route for hill training but the weather tonight is questionable shall we say. Thought I would just head out and go up Gamblers. Yes the roads were wet and but back tyre did spin a little at the end but I made it up round it ok.

I was actually getting a little anxious approaching it for some reason glad I've tried it now. Next on the list is the climb out of Winchcombe up Castle street.
  • de_sisti
    woody0010 wrote:
    Next on the list is the climb out of Winchcombe up Castle street.
    That'll be Suedley Hill. Longer, but easier (imo).
  • woody0010
    De Sisti wrote:
    woody0010 wrote:
    Next on the list is the climb out of Winchcombe up Castle street.
    That'll be Suedley Hill. Longer, but easier (imo).

Which hill do you think is the hardest climb around this area? always love a challenge
  • de_sisti
    edited June 2014
    For me, Bushcombe Lane is the hardest. It's the only climb where I have to use the 26 inner ring.
    Most of the others around here I use 34 x 28 (or 34 x 30, depending on which bike I use). Oh, there
    are a couple of really steep climbs around the Stroud area too. I descended one in March of this year,
    but forgot to make a note of its name.