Watching the World Championships

mooro
mooro Posts: 483
edited September 2012 in Pro race
Hi,

As most of you will know the world champs are in holland this year, (http://www.limburg2012.nl/section.php?s ... ms_id=home) and I am thinking of going.

I wondered what its like - the road race in particular. My only previous expereicne has been seeing a few of this years tour stages and shortly a few in the vuelta.

I assume its a bit like watching a classic, but has anybody been before? is it worth it? Looks like with the loops similar to the olympic route you could see a fair bit of the race.

Any views would be great.

ta

Comments

• mooro
    mooro Posts: 483
    Mooro wrote:
    Hi,

As most of you will know the world champs are in holland this year, (http://www.limburg2012.nl/section.php?s ... ms_id=home) and I am thinking of going.

I wondered what its like - the road race in particular. My only previous expereicne has been seeing a few of this years tour stages and shortly a few in the vuelta.

I assume its a bit like watching a classic, but has anybody been before? is it worth it? Looks like with the loops similar to the olympic route you could see a fair bit of the race.

Any views would be great.

ta

BUMP!

Taking the family across this weekend for the womens / mens road races.

Any good recommendations for where to view from those who have been here to see the classics?

Advice was spot on when we went to paris so looking for some more top tips!

Ta
  • skylla
    skylla Posts: 758
    perhaps ask steve potts/pots, he lives pretty much next to the route.
  • skylla
    memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=450609

Having looked at his profile, he must be a very busy man with so many posts in the BB forum fork.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    skylla wrote:
    perhaps ask steve potts/pots, he lives pretty much next to the route.

I do indeed! :D

A lot will depend on where you are staying. The roads are fairly open at the moment, except around the finish line, but I was out and about today and there are a lot of road closures posted for the weekend. If you are staying in Maastricht it's probably best to view from that section of the route, likewise for Valkenburg. Do you have transport?

Most popular spots (apart from the finish line) will be the Cauberg or Bemelerberg. Both will be rammed, especially if the weather is fine. Get there early for a spot. The road between Vilt and Maastricht is flat or downhill and fast so they will be a blur. The Bemeleweg is a gently sloping uphill towards the village of Bemelen; not enough to slow them down much. Bemelen village is nice and there's a good little cafe/pub. After the Bemelerberg there is an open, exposed section of road around Gasthuis. You will be able to see them coming from a long way off but they will be moving fast. An interesting spot might be one of the corners on the Maastricht side of the circuit. Here they come from a wide road into a narrow road and so will have to slow and funnel to get through. I'm expecting it to be very busy though...although the weather forecast is a bit iffy at the moment - sun and showers, and quite windy like today.

If you need any more info, just PM me.

Best,
    Steve
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • skylla
    Excellent stuff. Are most of the teams based in Valkenburg, or perhaps Maastricht? Are you covering any of the races for your magazine, Steve?
  • pottssteve
    skylla wrote:
    Excellent stuff. Are most of the teams based in Valkenburg, or perhaps Maastricht? Are you covering any of the races for your magazine, Steve?

Sky and Team GB are in Maastricht in the hotel next to my workplace. I can see the Death Star from the window. Bradley arrives tomorrow and a couple of kids I know are going to hang about and get autographs. Saxo Bank are also here. Team USA were just out on the back lawn getting photos taken. The Italian team are at a hotel about 5 mins from my house - I'm going to their press conference this evening. The rest are scattered all over the countryside around here.

I am trying to write a "behind the scenes at the Worlds" piece for the website but my (paid) work is crazy busy at the moment. Something will appear though.

Best wishes,
    Steve
  • what's the magazine, Steve?
  • pottssteve
    what's the magazine, Steve?

I write occasionally for the website http://www.cyclingnewsasia.com

It's run by part-timers who have other (stressful, time-consuming) jobs, just like me!

If you want to read my work type "Potts" into the search box. I always welcome feedback.

Best,
    Steve