Buy winter gear or a turbo trainer

jimmies
jimmies Posts: 156
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
My bike isn't going to be used for commuting ( I live in N.Yorks and my office is in Reading ) so I have no need to 'have' to be out in the really wet weather

So I started thinking if I should spend the cash on mudguards,waterproof clothes etc ......or only go out if it isn't going to rain too hard and spend a little more and buy a turbo trainer (about £150 secondhand).

We do get plenty of nice days in the winter so it is not as if I'd never get out, it was just that costing up decent mud guards and water resistant clothes had be looking at close to £100 and I've seen plenty of half decent trainers go for £100.

has anybody else had a simiar quandry?

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Depends if you want to go cycling or not. If you want to go cycling, get the gear, if not - get the trainer.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • jimmies
    jimmies Posts: 156
    Of course I want to go cycling....that why I got me a bike, - and I know it's a risk bearing in mind the British weather.....but I'd hope to be able to have at least one or two reasonable length rides a week in the winter on the drier days

I guess it comes down to the fact I cannot spend the cash on both.......Hmmm what to do
  • I have opted for a trainer as I know that there will be days/weeks when the weather will be too bad to get out.
    I also have a cheap hardtail that I intend using when the road is salty wet.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • Your not made of sugar you'll be fine, I actually prefer winter riding, I don't like the dark evenings but you can get some amazing lights now.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'd have gone with the winter kit - but if you use the turbo then its an excellent purchase.
    You dont have to go mental on expense. Aldi sell bike kit every so often and their jackets and rain capes are good. No real need to spend £400 on an Assos jacket.
  • Hals1967
    Hals1967 Posts: 231
    cougie wrote:
    I'd have gone with the winter kit - but if you use the turbo then its an excellent purchase.
    You dont have to go mental on expense. Aldi sell bike kit every so often and their jackets and rain capes are good. No real need to spend £400 on an Assos jacket.
    +1. Most of my outer winter gear is from Aldi and it's lasted the last two winters really well and does the job. Nothing wrong with buying Assos either though - if you can afford it !

1967 Engine
  • I don't know what you're all talking about. I've found the weather in the winter to be a lot better than the summer. Ok, its a bit colder and January is usually a write off because of ice but apart from that its usually pretty dry. I was actually contemplating giving up and getting rollers for the summer and resuming out door cycling in the autumn.
  • Bordersroadie
    Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
    There is no reason to not ride outside except where

a. You can't leave the house (eg for childcare reasons) or
    b. The weather conditions are properly hazardous (eg fog, ice)

My turbo trainer is a last resort only used in the above circumstances. I hate it, even though it gets a fair bit of winter use due mainly to (a).

Get some winter gear and a decent front light and ride, you nancy boy :wink: