Very OT- Removal Companies

londonlivvy
londonlivvy Posts: 644
edited August 2012 in Commuting chat
So far, Bike Radar Commuting has not only given me huge amount of bike-specific advice (n+1, lights, tyres, how to change brake blocks, how to train, how to get my garmin replaced) but also an incredible amount of non-bike advice, including, but not limited to, restaurants in Edinburgh, which buggy to buy and how to remove a stain from a wooden work surface.

So I'm hoping your collective wisdom will be able to sort me out once again... we are moving the contents of a 2 bed flat from Clapham to Surrey and need 2 men + Van. We are going to pack everything. Boyf is transporting his beloved bikes separately, natch. Can anyone recommend a company? I've come up with various options online, including Aussie van, friendly movers, etc but I would prefer a company that comes recommended than just to randomly select someone.

thanks everyone.

Comments

• gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    TBH - All of my house moves, nationally and internationally, have involved the hiring of a LWB van or vans and a few mates plied with booze....even the more recent moves with junior was completed through the medium of the 'mates offered booze' network.

So, I am not the best to comment! However, I would check insurance on your items and inform your insurer of the move. I am not sure whether removals companies have to be bonded?!?!

Anyone else had stuff nicked/broken when relocating?
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    Could we suggestions too... We're moving midweek and I'm having to work so the little lady needs to know feck loads of furniture et all will go smoothly to winchester.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Yeah, Gussio I always used to do those kind of moves too, but this has to happen on a weekday and it's kinda tricky to get mates to help out then. Plus I'm up the duff so it's not like we can do it between us.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    when we made our move from South London to Surrey (everyone does eventually) we used Emmanuel who came recommended on the East Dulwich Forum. He was very good.

Here is a 'recommendation' thread on the EDF with his details.

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum ... 970,473970
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    I was in a petrol station once in Epsom when a battered old van with three of the pikiest geezers you've ever seen in the front pulled in.

I marvelled at the four foot high letters on the side of the van that stated 'HUMPITT REMOVALS' with the witty tag line beneath of 'We hump anything'.

It would be a cold day in hell before I ever booked them in to assist me move.
    FCN = 4
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    edited August 2012
    A good friend has used these people twice.

Jeff Codrington - 07889 680980

Few blokes + van who would dismantle and reassemble furniture too. She's quite particular so wouldn't have used them a second time if they were pants. Was there during the 2nd move and all seemed professionally done.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • thanks Clarkey cat - much appreciated. Sadly he's on hols when we're moving which is a shame.

Any other suggestions folks?
  • dhope
    thanks Clarkey cat - much appreciated. Sadly he's on hols when we're moving which is a shame.

Any other suggestions folks?

(just above your post)
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • pinkbikini
    pinkbikini Posts: 876
    We used these guys when we moved in Wimbledon:

http://www.doddcontracts.co.uk/index.php

We packed/transported a lot ourselves and used these guys (2 blokes and a Luton) to shift the large furniture - we had quite a bit. Another colleague of mine has also used them. They charge by the hour starting from a minimum fee (can't remember how much) but they are reliable and honest, hard-working and took good care removing, wrapping and protecting all our stuff. Would gladly recommend them.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,340
    Not quite 2 men + van, but we used Pickfords when we moved south (Putney to Carshalton) - Mrs RJS was 8 months pregnant and we just didn't need any hassle. The price was reasonable and we knew there was some form of redress if anything got damaged. I couldn't really fault them: I think we had one cracked saucer, which they paid for without complaint.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Marvellous! I knew you guys would be a mine of information, as ever! Thanks everyone.

I've spoken to Jeff and asked for a quote, I've emailed Dodds and will try Pickfords too, for comparison purposes. I'll be nearly 7 months preg by that point so I do get your point, rjsterry, re lack of hassle.
  • One more to add. I'm moving in a weeks time and am using a company highly recommened to me by a colleague.

Removals & Storage Solutions
    Speak to Dean
    0800 7408224

They also gave me the best quote.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    ... In the form of a non-recommendation: Bishop's Move managed to pack the FULL pot of coffee I made for them into (and above) the same box as my stereo. The result was inevitable and unfortunately coffee and electronics don't mix. There were several other brainless acts. They said I should just claim on my insurance (which tells you all you need to know about their attitude).
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I used the Aussie group, they are based in Wandsworth, were competitive, efficient and a pleasure to deal with.

http://www.aussiegroup.co.uk
  • dhope
    I used the Aussie group, were competitive
    Funny, that :D
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    dhope wrote:

Just not any more...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    dhope wrote:

Just not any more...

Pity.
  • Thank you yet again bike radar. We moved today with codrington's team and they were absolutely fantastic. Polite, efficient and careful with our belongings. Now to unpack...