Bags and tools ????

jimmies
jimmies Posts: 156
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
I'm starting out on this adventure and have my bike, shorts and tops, helmet.....

One area I've not addressed yet is a bag for keeping things in. I've seen the ones that go on the back of the saddle and I've seen the ones that are triangle shaped and go on the frame - also what is the minimum that needs to go in them?...I'm guessing a spare tube and some tools....what tools exactly? I know I sound stupid but I just want to be sure

cheers

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Loads of threads on the subject ...

Personally I have a small saddlebag - enough to contain:
    1 spare tube
    puncture repair kit
    multi tool
    tyre levers

the pump is frame mounted.

I know you can put all that lot in your pocket(s) - but if it's attached too the bike then I don't have to think about collecting them up... so it's ready to ride ... :)

Ah - one thing I should add really - a tenner in a plastic bag ... money to get you home/repaired/emergency food etc ...
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    as above, but normally dont bother with puncture repair kit, just spare tube and fix it at home. Also carry chain tool and quick link, although not stictly needed for road purposes, but I have snapped a chain on the MTB before.

I normally carry £20, slow bike is clearly a cheapskate.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • jimmies
    pretty much what I thought.......now what about a lock, when you 'have' to take a lock - where do you keep it whilst riding?....backpack?
  • 1@ATIME
    1@ATIME Posts: 89
    Baby wipes in a ziplock bag to clean your hands, don't want to get the bike dirty ;) spare energy gel/bar, would keep puncture repair kit at home & take extra tube if needed unless out for more than a day. Multi Tool with chain tool should do it everyone has own preference but Crank Brothers and Lezyne always get good recommendations
    Ribble Stealth
    previous: Kiron Scandium, 80's Raleigh Equipe, Striker :)
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    add a phone to that list (back pocket) and i would sub a CO2 pump for a frame pump, even with 2 cylinders. as for a lock - dont leave the back out of view so dont carry a huge thing - just a retaining device such as this
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeventure-tsa-zipper-lock/

or this

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeventure-tsa-zipper-lock/
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • jimmies
    would you use the zipper lock just to lock the wheel to the frame so that the bike cannot be ridden away?
  • slowbike
    puncture repair kit:
    park-tools-puncture-repair-kit-super-patch.jpg
    Takes the space of a 50p piece ... so no need to leave it out ;)

£10 in the back ... well - you could make it more, but I usually put a card in the pocket too ... :)

Got a CO2 pump - but for the lack of worry a frame pump is simple - when time isn't of the essence it's cheaper too! ;)
  • Spare tube, tyre levers, patches (I recently tried self-adhesives and am a convert) and a multitool of some sort, preferably incorporating a chain tool (otherwise get a separate one), as ending your ride because you broke your chain is pathetic. :)

Get a mini-pump and either keep it in your back pocket or mount in on your frame; unless you lack bottle bosses on your seat tube, in which case use a framefit. Don't waste your money on CO2 unless you're racing or holding a group up. Disposable gloves will keep your hands oil-free, and money is probably a good idea.

Keep that lot (minus pump) in a seatpost wedge, or a pocket of other luggage you're using. Don't bother with a backpack. If you've got a rack, use a racktop bag (mine is a Carradice, and superb), if you don't, get a seatpost pack (which Carradice also makes). You could also try a saddlebag. All are good choices. :)
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Spare tube, tyre levers, patches (I recently tried self-adhesives and am a convert) and a multitool of some sort, preferably incorporating a chain tool (otherwise get a separate one), as ending your ride because you broke your chain is pathetic. :)

Get a mini-pump and either keep it in your back pocket or mount in on your frame; unless you lack bottle bosses on your seat tube, in which case use a framefit. Don't waste your money on CO2 unless you're racing or holding a group up. Disposable gloves will keep your hands oil-free, and money is probably a good idea.

Keep that lot (minus pump) in a seatpost wedge, or a pocket of other luggage you're using. Don't bother with a backpack. If you've got a rack, use a racktop bag (mine is a Carradice, and superb), if you don't, get a seatpost pack (which Carradice also makes). You could also try a saddlebag. All are good choices. :)
    CO2 pumps are amazing no matter what the circumstance. My saddlebag is an aladdin's gave of stuff.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    I use a continental tube-bag as I don't want a big saddle bag.

!x Tube
    2x Tyre levers
    1x park tools puncture repair (as shows by 'slowbike')

In my jersey I carry:

Pump
    Multi-tool (small one without chain tool)
    Gels
    Phone
    Card (or cash)
    keys.

If I was going on a longer ride I'd probably take a 'proper' saddle bag with a chain tool and quick link added. I'd also mount the pump on the frame to free up more space in pockets for food, arm warmers, gilet etc.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Saddle bag... Pretty much the same as the others. Spare tube, levers, patch kit, oil, multitool set. Frame bag... Phone, keys, some change and any snacks I might care to take. Frame... Bottle and pump

Now have one of those seat post beams and slot a box into it. If its appropriate, changes of clothing and enough gear for a week hotel holiday
  • Does no one ever carry any ID on them? Should the worst happen and you come off being incapacitated somehow it might be useful for the emergency services to be able to identify you. I usually carry my driving licence, but I've never seen anyone list anything like that in the stuff they carry.
  • GSJ
    GSJ Posts: 150
    I just purchased the Topeak aero saddle bag (medium) and it fits

1 spare inner tube
    tyre levers
    gloves
    allen key set
    this is without opening the zip for an extra .2ltr space, which would probably fit snacks.
  • I got a great small light pump on eBay for about £15 - does the job and is less than 100g.

I bought a Topeak multi tool - about £15 and comes in a neoprene pouch - so it doesn't put a hole in your spare tube.

I have also got some thin latex gloves so my hands don't get mucky. :)

Plus inner tube and tyre levers. I might add something in case I cut my tyre -as happened today - the inner was bulging out when I got home. I read a thread somewhere that suggested using the emergency £5 if necessary to block the hole.
  • I have bikebag with tools etc and bag around waist with 2x tubes, plasters, disposable gloves, antiseptic wipes, snacks, spare batteries for lights and cycling 3rd party insurance certificate including national insurance number and family contacts in case i get squished!

Oh and a cuddly toy.
    Graham

Cube lightening hpc race 2012 - red,white and blue
  • slowbike
    rubyrider wrote:
    I got a great small light pump on eBay for about £15 - does the job and is less than 100g.

I bought a Topeak multi tool - about £15 and comes in a neoprene pouch - so it doesn't put a hole in your spare tube.

I have also got some thin latex gloves so my hands don't get mucky. :)

Plus inner tube and tyre levers. I might add something in case I cut my tyre -as happened today - the inner was bulging out when I got home. I read a thread somewhere that suggested using the emergency £5 if necessary to block the hole.
    Just take a section of an old tyre ...
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    As other have said pretty much...Topeak saddle bag for me, inner tube and those self adhesive patches in case I get 2 flats. Phone with second silicone case over the screen to protect it, front door key. Some change for coffee, £10 note, bank card (for the account which my direct debits go out of so I never use this card otherwise).

ALSO: card with my ICE numbers (In Case of Emergency) and my BLOOD GROUP just in case the unexpected should happen!!

Pump is attached to the frame, I had a fellow cyclist who kept his pump in the saddle bag...it fell out, went in his back wheel and made a bit of a mess.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • mkviken
    mkviken Posts: 217
    i have a specialized saddle bag

its just big enough to hold a multitool, puncture kit and patches, money, house key.

mini pump, banana and energy bar in back pocket. bottle frame mounted.
  • Does no one ever carry any ID on them? Should the worst happen and you come off being incapacitated somehow it might be useful for the emergency services to be able to identify you. I usually carry my driving licence, but I've never seen anyone list anything like that in the stuff they carry.
    I was going to get one of those bike Id's but went to the doctors to find out my blood type to be told they don't have it in there system and to go to the nurse so made an appointment turned up only to be told it would cost about £80 or the cheap option give blood and get it from them,but if you ever have an accident then you'll be given the blood type that everyone can have so for me bike I'd a waste of time.
    2012 Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x (MTB)
    2011 Cannondale CAAD 10 (Road)
  • I've now added a puncture repair kit after getting 2 punctures yesterday (check your tyre for thorns/flint when you repair a puncture )
    webby 1805 wrote:
    Does no one ever carry any ID on them? Should the worst happen and you come off being incapacitated somehow it might be useful for the emergency services to be able to identify you. I usually carry my driving licence, but I've never seen anyone list anything like that in the stuff they carry.
    I was going to get one of those bike Id's but went to the doctors to find out my blood type to be told they don't have it in there system and to go to the nurse so made an appointment turned up only to be told it would cost about £80 or the cheap option give blood and get it from them,but if you ever have an accident then you'll be given the blood type that everyone can have so for me bike I'd a waste of time.

Webby giving blood is an excellent idea on more counts than just finding out your blood type. More donors are always needed. I'm O negative and therefore a universal donor - anyone can have my blood in an emergency, but I think less than 5% are like me, and I can only have my type of blood. You might be one of these very important donors. Sadly my own health issues have prevented me donating recently, but I urge anyone who is fit and able, to help save lives. (my own health problems did come to light when I became anaemic and unable to donate)

Your I.D could give contact details in case of accident which is also important. Your phone could get broken.
  • ^^ seriously they dont have your blood type on record, thats not right as they have to have it on record for the very reson if something happends then they dont give you the "wrong blood"

Though you wouldnt get wrong blood as they just give you the universal stuff but its low in stock so they dont like giving it out

p.s if you have universal blood O neg give blood, low stocks in the UK.
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • If you've never had a reason to have your blood tested, then I believe there is no record of it. I understand that if there's time, they test you before giving you blood. Otherwise, in an emergency,you get the universal O neg type.

So, you not only save yourself £80 but you might save a life! :) (I'll stop campaigning now ha ha!)
  • Mark Elvin
    Mark Elvin Posts: 997
    I have a Topeak Aero Micro saddle bag, it's just large enough for a 'tube, 2 plastic levers, 2 CO2 cannisters & adaptor, leeches repair patches, my Topeak 18 multitool & house keys in if packed carefully.

I pop my snacks & phone in my jersey pockets.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse