Replacement rack bolts

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited August 2012 in Commuting chat
I've got the Tortec ultralight rack on my Tricross and on the way in yesterday, the bolt holding the bottom of the rack to the frame on the cassette side fell out.

Now WIggle do a replacement bolt set for a pittance http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-stainl ... pack-of-4/

but I have no idea what size bolt it is.

Does anyone know and can help?
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    M5, same as a bottle boss bolt. You should have some of these kicking round.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    When you get your bolts, remember Loctite is your friend.
    Rack bolts have a tendency to come loose without it.
    Misguided Idealist
  • Kieran_Burns
    redvee wrote:

They're not as it turns out - I tried to use one of the bottle bolts to get me home and it was loose in the thread
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • freezing77
    freezing77 Posts: 731
    M6 almost certainly.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    redvee wrote:

They're not as it turns out - I tried to use one of the bottle bolts to get me home and it was loose in the thread
    Thread hole has been enlarged by the bolt coming loose and wiggling? Try an M5 in the other side to verify this.
  • Why not stop off at your LBS for these. They can check size and in my experience might even give you a bolt for free. Mind you when this has happened to me I feel obliged to buy something to ease my conscience, and it ends up costing me more than it would have to buy new bolts.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Kieran_Burns
    I'm thinking for the price on WIggle I may as well buy a pack of each size.

and anything else that takes my fancy while I'm there.... won't don't I need but want?
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i'll post you one if you can wait a few days
  • Kieran_Burns
    spasypaddy wrote:
    i'll post you one if you can wait a few days

Cheers for the offer, but I went for the "buy one of each" option as I'm sure to need spares in the near future. Plus I did manage to find some other things I needed.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    ... I went for the "buy one of each" option as I'm sure to need spares in the near future. Plus I did manage to find some other things I needed.

A new bike ?

"I only meant to buy some of those 40p bolts..." :D
    Misguided Idealist
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    If your rack bolts are backing out, fit an anti-rotation star washer.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Only pennies at Wiggle, but for its worth you can buy about 50 of things at Screwfix for a quid.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Alternatively guys, you can always ask me. I have drawers full of nuts, bolts and rivets in almost all normal sizes.

My good lady considers me (affectionately) slightly odd.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    Thread is probably stripped. Which is fairly common.
    This is drive side, so clearance is limited on cassette side (inside) of dropout.
    But you probably have enough clearance for a flanged-head allen bolt going through from the cassette side. Then you can put a ?nyloc? nut on the rack side.
    BZP steel better than stainless in alloy frame for galvanic corrosion.
    Then, if the bolt shears later - bolts aren't designed to be used with shear loads like this - can unscrew the bolt, without having to use a bolt extractor.
  • Kieran_Burns
    jejv wrote:
    This is drive side, so clearance is limited on cassette side (inside) of dropout.
    But you probably have enough clearance for a flanged-head allen bolt going through from the cassette side. Then you can put a ?nyloc? nut on the rack side.
    Then, if the bolt shears later - bolts aren't designed to be used with shear loads like this - can unscrew the bolt, without having to use a bolt extractor.

Sheared?

Damn. I'll need a new bike now....
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    jejv wrote:
    Just the right balance of jargon and technical know-how!

...I wish you were my dad
  • kelsen wrote:

...I wish you were my dad

How do you know he isn't. After all he does have a bike. :wink:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Kieran, what's the Tortec Ultralite like? I think I could do with a fairly lightwieght rack and that's an option. What panniers do you use on it? I'm also tempted by the Tortec Velocity Hybrid for a slightly sleeker look.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Pretty damn good to be honest. I use the Altura Dryline Urban briefcase pannier (17 version) as it's great for flat packing a shirt or carrying a laptop if you need to (and completely bloody waterproof)

I like the Ultralite as it has a mount at the back for bolting a rear light on. I have a Cateye LD1100 screwed to mine.

As a rack it is VERY light but copes with my usual loads with no problems at all, very adjustable and easy to set up. I was completely in the dark when buying mine but I'm sure I made a good choice
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • cookdn
    cookdn Posts: 410
    Kieran, what's the Tortec Ultralite like? I think I could do with a fairly lightwieght rack and that's an option. What panniers do you use on it? I'm also tempted by the Tortec Velocity Hybrid for a slightly sleeker look.

The Tortec Velocity seems to be a good choice for mounting panniers, just not a very big platform for carrying much else but looks like it is designed in such a way to take a rear light as well. essex-commuter has some pics on the Boardman CX thread. Not sure what the tube is that appears to bolted where the rear light would attach. If my 22 mile one-way daily commute works out I reckon I will be choosing between the Velocity and Ultralite for my CX.
    I use the Altura Dryline Urban briefcase pannier (17 version) as it's great for flat packing a shirt or carrying a laptop if you need to (and completely bloody waterproof).

That's the pannier that I'm encouraging my wife to get. She has been using an old Karrimor pannier of mine for few years but I'm not convinced it is the best thing for her to transport her new work provided Mac Book Pro. Are you regularly carrying a laptop computer around in yours Kieran?

Best regards
    David
    Boardman CX Team
  • Kieran_Burns
    The short answer is no - not regularly as the weight of a single pannier with a laptop in unbalances the bike too much for me. I would think it would be absolutely fine with two though.

The one big thing though is the padding around the laptop. In this pannier it's not great so you need to add some yourself. However saying all that I cannot fault the pannier for protecting things from the elements. I have been in some epic downpours and the contents have remained completely dry.

Oh, one thing: the pannier sits at 45 degrees so can look a little odd, but I like it as it keeps it completely away from my feet.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • cookdn
    cookdn Posts: 410
    The short answer is no - not regularly as the weight of a single pannier with a laptop in unbalances the bike too much for me. I would think it would be absolutely fine with two though.

I did question my wife on this as she is only using one pannier and the Mac Book is a recent addition to her spare clothes and butties. Doesn't seem to bother her. She rides a Trek 7.5 hybrid and her commute is three miles each way.
    The one big thing though is the padding around the laptop. In this pannier it's not great so you need to add some yourself. However saying all that I cannot fault the pannier for protecting things from the elements. I have been in some epic downpours and the contents have remained completely dry.

Shouldn't be an issue as she already has a padded sleeve for the computer. The main consideration, as you confirm, is that the contents remain dry. My old Karrimor pannier is the cycling equivalent of a rucksack, the only protection from the elements is a drawstring and flap.
    Oh, one thing: the pannier sits at 45 degrees so can look a little odd, but I like it as it keeps it completely away from my feet.

I noticed that when I went looking for pictures of the rack mounting arrangement on Google. I guess it is to provide enough clearance for your heels while pedalling. No doubt that will initially cause a negative comment. I'll probably have to wait until Xmas and surprise her with it. If she gets chance to think about it too much she'll just stick with what she knows. :roll:

Thanks for the info.

ps. Vented helmet mount turned up today, still waiting on the Camera and microSD card.
    Boardman CX Team
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    Sheared?

Damn. I'll need a new bike now....
    Yeah.
    I didn't want to break it to you, but you seem to have figured it out.
    The bike is a write-off.
    You wouldn't want the responsibility of selling it.

If you PM me with your address, I can get my dad to pick it up, and put it safely beyond use, before you are tempted to ride this deathtrap again.
  • Kieran_Burns
    This is why this forum is so great: a mutual support society... so many people acting selflessly.

<sniff>

I love you guys

<sniff>
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Kieran_Burns
    Well - after faffing with the replacement bolts it looks like the outer half of the hole has sheared and I need to either get longer M5 bolts or get a small enough nut and bolt thing set up

I actually noticed for the first time that the rack is bent on the side that took the impact when I tumbled last Winter..

Or maybe that new bike.....
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Kieran_Burns
    Just to close the story - wandered down to my local DIY shop and picked up some m5 x 25mm bolts and they are a perfect fit. They JUST poke out the inside of the frame so give maximum leverage on the screw thread.

So, no reason to buy a new bike now.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    So, no reason to buy a new bike now.

FAIL :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.