received this from my boss

shearno
shearno Posts: 11
edited August 2012 in Commuting chat
I received this from my boss this morning, which was an all staff email. Although much of what she states makes sense, I find it patronising and feel she has obviously never cycled to work, yet feels she can be a self appointed expert because of her experience with head injuries. She lists bullet points for cyclists but not for drivers, advises them to 'think bike' but no mention of the highway code, leaving space and not using mobiles.

I feel a response to this email is needed to put her straight, or is it because shes my boss that i find it annoying, and should really just let it go ?

Are you catching the cycling bug? Please take care.

Dear all,

I know that a lot of people working in our hospitals are keen cyclists, and with the British cycling team doing so well in this year's Olympics, I am sure that more and more people will be picking up the sport during summer.

As such, I would like to take this opportunity to remind people how important it is to take care when you're out and about cycling,

and to wear a helmet while you're on your bike.

During my career, I have treated cyclists, including lots of children, who have been very badly injured while out riding, and I know first-hand the difference that a helmet can make.

All too often, these injuries could have been lessened or avoided if the cyclist had been wearing a correctly fitted helmet - wearing a helmet is a matter of life and death.

The helmet debate hits the headlines
Last week, the winner of the Tour De France and Olympic gold medallist Bradley Wiggins called for wearing a helmet while cycling to be mandatory.

I agree that cyclists should wear helmets and was interviewed about it on BBC Radio Surrey this morning. If you have a spare couple of minutes, you can listen to the interview here (it starts at 1h 41mins).

We all have a responsibility whilst on the road
Cycling can be a great way to get around: it keeps you fit, it's cheap and it's good for our environment. But it can be dangerous if basic road safety is ignored.

Of course, cyclists have to help themselves by focusing on what they're doing - if you're cycling, you shouldn't listen to music or get distracted by your phone.

Motorists should also recognise that they share the road with cyclists and should be aware of cyclists at all times. Those of us in cars and other vehicles have to understand the damage we can do to cyclists and 'Think Bike'.

So, before getting on your bike, make sure you:

put on your correctly fitted hard shell safety helmet;
make sure your lights work and switch them on;
switch off your personal music system;
switch the phone off;
make sure you can be seen easily.
For more information about cycling safely, visit http://www.direct.gov.uk/cycling.

Kind regards

Dr --- ----
Joint Medical Director

Comments

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    chucknorrisapproves1.gif
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    How about if she wrote this:
    Dear all,

I know many of you are not taking exercise, in my years of medical care I know this is contributory to an increased chance of poor health. Make sure you all take exercise, I will be putting a process in place to ensure you do.

After all, an unhelmeted cyclist is taking less risks than an able bodied sedentary person.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I think it is fair enough, but then I agree with the points. I can see where this thread may head..... :roll:

I don't think a negative e-mail is required but maybe one to have her send a similar e-mail explaining the highway code regarding cyclists.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    shearno wrote:
    I feel a response to this email is needed to put her straight, or is it because shes my boss that i find it annoying, and should really just let it go ?
    If you have to ask then perhaps you don't really feel that strongly about it. Just saying.
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    Three massive problems!!!

1. Cycling is cheap.... Advise her of N+1
    2. Turn of your phone. How is one going to log Strava segments if they do not have a Garmin or similar
    3. SCR FCN. She should put this into her email as well

:lol:

In all seriousness though I think some of it may be because you feel she has no idea what she is talking about because you are a seasoned Vet however the email is clearly aimed at people new to cycling and a lot of the information while patronising to you will be new to the target audience. It does briefly touch on cars however it is aimed at cyclists (wrong or rightly!) trying to make themselves as visible as possible.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    This smells of a manager meaning well, but not necessarily getting the 'patronise' balance in focus. There are staff that will know sweet FA and appreciate the thought. Other staff will be seasoned pro's who will feel patronised.

Her motive will be: How many people this week will phone in late/sick because of bike related incident?

In all honesty - let it go, your name will go on the list (thats right, we do keep lists!)
  • I read this as
    I'm really important and famous. I've been on the radio don't you know. Listen to me, I'm great I am (it starts at 1h 41mins).

Kind regards

Dr --- ----
    Joint Medical Director

I'd just let it go and remember to bow very low in the presence of greatness.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Remind your boss that they are a Physician not a Physicist and judging the difference a piece of expanded polystyrene makes should be left to the experts. 8)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    I had similar at my last place with a well meaning office manager - I dived in off the deep end, and ended up with one of the company's legal directors calling me to "assuage my fears as to the accuracy of the advice given"

I'd say keep your head down. It's written for a wider audience, not targeted at you or other experienced cyclists.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • Dr -- --- in morse code is Dr WGAF :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    TommyEss wrote:
    I'd say keep your head down. It's written for a wider audience, not targeted at you or other experienced cyclists.
    This. The advice isn't bad and anyone that follows it wont become less safe than they otherwise might, so leave it be.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    I read this as
    I'm really important and famous. I've been on the radio don't you know. Listen to me, I'm great I am (it starts at 1h 41mins).

Kind regards

Dr --- ----
    Joint Medical Director

I'd just let it go and remember to bow very low in the presence of greatness.

Exactly this. The patronizing content is just padding around the obvious advertisement for her radio moment.
  • aeon
    aeon Posts: 167
    well, i kind of think that her medical qualifications and actual experience treating people who have sustained head injuries whilst cycling elevate her above 'self-appointed expert' status ;) but if you really feel strongly about it maybe you could suggest a follow-up email reminding drivers to take extra care given the increase in cycling, and listing a few things motorists should do...
    FCN 10 - Crosstrail
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Be aware as well that email is the worst forum for discussing a difference of opinions like this - it can very quickly go ballistic - if you want to discuss it with her, for God's sake phone her or go and see her in person - if you lay out all your issues in an email she will most likely take offence at some/most/all of it and then you get into mudslinging, which doesn't help you or your cause. (Bitter experience/learnt the hard way!)
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Respond with this:

Dear Dr -- ----

I note your concern for cyclists, although I feel it would be better targeted at car users. It cannot have escaped your notice that virtually every car accident these days no matter how apparently trivial the collision may have been, the end result is whiplash injury. This is not a scare story plucked out of thin air in an attempt to create a climate of fear that can only be resolved with polystyrene clagging; it is a widely reported fact that all insurers will confirm. The prevalence of whiplash injury is at endemic levels. It is surely far more important that this real and on-going crisis is addressed, rather than worrying about a low-level problem of cyclists that isn't resolved by the use of polystyrene hats.

Please send a similar message to all staff requiring all car occupants to wear a neck brace when travelling in cars, either their own or as passengers. It's the only way to address this problem that is already out of hand.

With deepest sympathy in your loss of comprehension.

Shearahhh.
    4-1.
  • I'm finding it quite hard to get upset about this one; it seems a quite well balanced and though out email with good intentions. Also written by someone with more actual experience than "my helmet definitely saved my life when this happened".
  • inkz
    inkz Posts: 123
    I find it annoying that you think it's annoying. There's nothing patronising at all in that Email and asking people to help themselves isn't a bad thing. If it stops one person getting killed or seriously injured then it's worth doing.

The fact you find it annoying is as much to do with some kind of self elevated status as a seasoned cyclist as her self elevated status as a seasoned head doctor person.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, I just don't understand why you would find it patronising and surely you would want new cyclists to have some advice yes? It's obviously aimed at new cyclists.

The fact we are even discussing cycle safety means it's served it's purpose to a degree.
  • Sounds like a perfectly reasonable email aimed at those new to cycle commuting to me. It may be slightly patronising, but you cannot deny the streets are filled with nodders without a clue these days.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    What a bizarre email!
    exercise.png
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Seriously, WTF is wrong with some people? A well balanced, helpful email written by somebody who appears to have some expertise on the issue of cycling and head injuries. Almost nothing in there I disagree with - fine, get on your high horse re helmets but I really don't see what harm there is in encouraging newcomers to cycling to wear them. Only bits I disagreed with were the "turn off your phone before cycling" and "turn on your lights" (in daylight? Really?!) but overall its clearly for the greater good. The issue of what motor vehicles should be doing to prevent cycling accidents is a separate (though connected) issue and the fact that she touched in at all seems more than enough to me. Maybe OP should draft a longer email re what drivers can do to increase cyclists' safety, though I fear that it will be a lot less balanced than his boss' effort...
  • shearno
    shearno Posts: 11
    Thanks for all the replies, going to let it go,feel happier as I've been reffered to as a seasoned vet twice and an experienced cyclist, not to mention a thumbs up from Chuck :wink:

I agree that the real agenda was " look at me i'm on the radio" :roll:
    The fact you find it annoying is as much to do with some kind of self elevated status as a seasoned cyclist as her self elevated status as a seasoned head doctor person.
    Yes, you are probably correct, thats why I asked the question, the advice wasn't bad just from a different perspective than me
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Maybe ask her to share the British Cycling Effective Traffic Riding pdfs (on their website, google it). Or put them on your intranet with a "Following on from Glorious Medical Director X's cycling email, here are some tips on riding safely".

It was a slightly patronising email and clearly written by someone who hasn't done much/any cycling, but it's not harmful, don't demand a retraction or anything. TBH, I think it was just an opportunity for her to pimp her radio interview.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • flimflam_machine
    flimflam_machine Posts: 263
    edited August 2012
    Blah blah...

I know that a lot of people working in our hospitals are keen cyclists, and with the British cycling team doing so well in this year's Olympics, I am sure that more and more people will be picking up the sport during summer.

As such, I would like to take this opportunity to remind people how important it is to take care when you're out and about cycling,

Blah-de-blah

It's not a bad email, but is annoying in places. For example why does she assume that people will take it up as a sport, rather than just as a way to get to work?

Re. the helmet statement, she may be unaware of the helmet debate or she may be taking a side because of some personal trauma so tread carefully. The main thing I find annoying about that statement is that, because it's coming from a senior member of staff, it may be seen by some potential cyclists as a (semi-?) official announcement of company policy. This may put put them off since they feel they'll be marked out if they're seen cycling to work without a helmet. It is of course, none of the company's business whether they wear a helmet or not.

If you're going to reply, be as positive as possible. Express your appreciation that she's anticipated and welcomed people's potential interest in cycling. Note that you've always found it fun and enjoyed the many health, financial, psychological, etc. etc. benefits that it brings. Point out that some people can be nervous about it and so focussing on rare traumatic incidents is perhaps counter-productive since these are outweighed by the benefits. You could mention the helmet debate tangentially and that Wiggo has heavily qualified his statements, but also state that a tiny bit of roadcraft (prevention) is worth a lot of head protection (cure). Finally you could suggest that she invite people who currently commute to offer their services as sources of advice to newbies (routes etc.) and put your name first on the list.

Edit to second bails87's comment. If she is really keen to get people on bikes a company cycling webpage would be good.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    The single most useful piece of advice for any new cyclist that she has failed to impart is, of course:

don't go up the left hand side of lorries
  • You could email back and say that you have been inspired by Team GB's horsemen and women. Tell her you are thinking of getting a horse and does she have any safety tips for you.

I would hope that your manager was being more effective with her time and not firing off guff like that.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Blah blah...

Blah-de-blah

It's not a bad email, but is annoying in places. For example why does she assume that people will take it up as a sport, rather than just as a way to get to work?

Re. the helmet statement, she may be unaware of the helmet debate or she may be taking a side because of some personal trauma so tread carefully. The main thing I find annoying about that statement is that, because it's coming from a senior member of staff, it may be seen by some potential cyclists as a (semi-?) official announcement of company policy. This may put put them off since they feel they'll be marked out if they're seen cycling to work without a helmet. It is of course, none of the company's business whether they wear a helmet or not.

If you're going to reply, be as positive as possible. Express your appreciation that she's anticipated and welcomed people's potential interest in cycling. Note that you've always found it fun and enjoyed the many health, financial, psychological, etc. etc. benefits that it brings. Point out that some people can be nervous about it and so focussing on rare traumatic incidents is perhaps couter productive since these are outweighed by the benefits. You could mention the helmet debate tangentially and that Wiggo has heavily qualified his statements, but also state that a tiny bit of roadcraft (prevention) is worth a lot of head protection (cure). Finally you could suggest that she invite people who currently commute to offer their services as sources of advice to newbies (routes etc.) and put your name first on the list.

Edit to second bails87's comment. If she is really keen to get people on bikes a company cycling webpage would be good.

Great response - and I think one you should follow up on
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Turn off the phone... All very well but I need to text and facebook update when I'm out and about.... some people :roll:
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Turn off phone? How is strava going to work?
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • I have been greatly impressed by the freshly laundered and pressed shirts worn my many of the Olympic presenters and think this is a look that I'd like to cultivate. However I am somewhat concerned by the the number of head injuries attributed to ironing boads and covers. Could you please ask the good doctor for some advice before I embark upon this hazardous activity?
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    BigMat wrote:
    Seriously, WTF is wrong with some people? A well balanced, helpful email written by somebody who appears to have some expertise on the issue of cycling and head injuries. Almost nothing in there I disagree with - fine, get on your high horse re helmets but I really don't see what harm there is in encouraging newcomers to cycling to wear them. Only bits I disagreed with were the "turn off your phone before cycling" and "turn on your lights" (in daylight? Really?!) but overall its clearly for the greater good. The issue of what motor vehicles should be doing to prevent cycling accidents is a separate (though connected) issue and the fact that she touched in at all seems more than enough to me. Maybe OP should draft a longer email re what drivers can do to increase cyclists' safety, though I fear that it will be a lot less balanced than his boss' effort...

well said
    Keeping it classy since '83