Thinking of going 29er?

jamesj84
jamesj84 Posts: 15
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
I currently own a spesh rockhopper 2009 which im looking to sell and go for a 29er
I do a bit of XC/ trails/ singletrack riding.
Is this a wise move?

Been looking at the kona big kahuna 2013 model for your information.

Before looking at 29ers i was interested in the kona cadabra/ spesh stumpjumper fsr 140mm model but thinking about the future of 29 and dont want my next bike choice to be the wrong one if this makes sense as its a lot of money.

Any ideas for me?

Comments

• bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    The first response is always to test ride a 29er. IME, they suit taller people. If you take a large frame, 29ers make a lot of sense.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Forget the Cadabra, the magic link suspension is aweful. Stumpjumper is a nice bike.
    Don't buy a 29er just because it's the latest thing, test ride one first. Not everyone likes the way the ride. They aren't for me.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Test ride one.
    They're not just for taller people.
    I've got a 29er hardtail and love it for xc, trails and singletrack riding.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • jamesj84
    jamesj84 Posts: 15
    Good answers.
    Your right i do have to test ride one but need to test one at a trail center id imagine. Riding one down a high street just isnt good enough.
    Im not just up for it because its the latest thing im not one to be a sheep the just sound very tempting. Fast rollers.
    I remember the day i brought my first 26" from my old 24". Different ball game i know but similar concept, i remember being able to leave my friends behind who all had 24s still.

If i go 29 i may be tempted to go for a hardtail. If i stick with 26 id go for a full susser.

How good is the stumpy fsr at going uphill esp as you can lock out the shock and fork plus put it in climb mode. I know that its awesome going down.
  • as people have said, get out there and test ride a few. and also test ride the 26" equivalent.

the only 29er i've ridden was a stumpjumper fsr and i really liked it. with the wheels on the ground it handled alot like my old spesh pitch frame. my only complaint is when you got the wheels of the ground, you noticed it didn't have as much travel as the equivalent 26er when you came back down again.

and for what its worth, i'm 5'6" and a small stumpy fitted me very nicely, so not just for taller riders.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    I'd echo all the above..They re getting very popular over here where trails are a bit less technical, all about racing, and people are taller!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver