Whats grinding my gears today

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited August 2012 in Commuting chat
I don't think this would clash with the rants thread but i wanted to say what things are currently annoying me

why do girls stick mahooosive fake eyelashes onto their eyes? they don't look good they look like snuffaluffagus from sesame street

Charactersnuffy.jpg

Flies

why do they always seem to either bite me or go down my throat when im riding along

grr

feel free to add your own
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    Giant stick on eyelashes on a car, usually one of those 'Mini' 4x4s. It's as if they're embarassed about driving a car called a Mini that's huge so they try to girlify it. Why didn't they call the car a Maxi?
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Giant stick on eyelashes on a car, usually one of those 'Mini' 4x4s. It's as if they're embarassed about driving a car called a Mini that's huge so they try to girlify it. Why didn't they call the car a Maxi?

What they should have called it is "Missing the point but cashing in on the brand because misguided trendies will pay loads for a compromised product". But perhaps that wouldn't fit on the tailgate.
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    People overtaking me down a hill into a Village where I am doing 33-35 in a 30mph which slows abruptly to a 20mph limit (School) and a corner and then slamming the anchors on after doing a dodgy overtake. I ride primary to try and avoid it but EVERY time this happens. They gain nothing as I am then glued to their bumpers through the 20mph limit.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Veronese68 wrote:

because this:

motoring-graphics-2_842440a.jpg

is a Maxi...

Try and girlie up that sack of rust!
  • veronese68
    Exactly, that's why Maxi is more appropriate for the bleedin' awful things. It sure as hell ain't a Mini.
    This is a Mini:
    Classic%20Mini%20Ext%201.JPG
    It's, you know, small.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I worked out once that the BMW mini has a 60% bigger footprint than a real one
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • veronese68
    SimonAH wrote:
    I heard it has the same wheelbase as an early Range Rover! Haven't checked but it seems possible as the Rangey had a huge rear overhang.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    I heard it has the same wheelbase as an early Range Rover! Haven't checked but it seems possible as the Rangey had a huge rear overhang.

Yeah I remember this, was the freelander I think. Whatever it was, its certainly not mini :evil:
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Veronese68 wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:
    I'd heard it was the same as a freelander.

There's a drive near me that's got a proper mini and a new giant 4x4 "mini" parked side by side. There's a ridiculous size difference.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • airbag
    airbag Posts: 201
    I'm not sure whether it's pedantic, useful, or both to point out the BMW spell their version MINI (all caps). Whether this is the german sense of humour or not, I am unsure...
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    airbag wrote:
    I'm not sure whether it's pedantic, useful, or both to point out the BMW spell their version MINI (all caps). Whether this is the german sense of humour or not, I am unsure...

We had a Swiss company give us a demo of their new product once with a Swiss German guy with quite a strong accent presenting to us. After explaining the product features and how it matched up with our existing product one of the attendees asked if it performed what we see as a basic task.

No, was the reply it doesn't to which the instant response was 'well that's useful isn't it'.

No, err.. yes, errr...no errrrr... went the guy until a lightbulb sparked on and he uttered the phrase "ah, I-ron-knee, i see!"
    FCN = 4
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Exactly, that's why Maxi is more appropriate for the bleedin' awful things. It sure as hell ain't a Mini.
    This is a Mini:
    Classic%20Mini%20Ext%201.JPG
    It's, you know, small.

That is a most beautiful thing and has brought a huge lump to my................................................ throat!
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Non technical directors who sign contracts for large scale IT projects.

*grumble grumble*
  • MTB-Idle wrote:

No, err.. yes, errr...no errrrr... went the guy until a lightbulb sparked on and he uttered the phrase "ah, I-ron-knee, i see!"

Foreigners - they don't seem to understand irony at all. I liked Alanis Morissette's little ditty but honestly which of her examples represnt irony and which are just in the category of a pain in the bottom?

An old man turned ninety-eight
    He won the lottery and died the next day
    It's a black fly in your Chardonnay
    It's a death row pardon two minutes too late
    And isn't it ironic... don't you think

It's like rain on your wedding day
    It's a free ride when you've already paid
    It's the good advice that you just didn't take
    Who would've thought... it figures

Mr. Play It Safe was afraid to fly
    He packed his suitcase and kissed his kids goodbye
    He waited his whole damn life to take that flight
    And as the plane crashed down he thought
    "Well isn't this nice..."
    And isn't it ironic... don't you think

Well life has a funny way of sneaking up on you
    When you think everything's okay and everything's going right
    And life has a funny way of helping you out when
    You think everything's gone wrong and everything blows up
    In your face

A traffic jam when you're already late
    A no-smoking sign on your cigarette break
    It's like ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife
    It's meeting the man of my dreams
    And then meeting his beautiful wife
    And isn't it ironic...don't you think
    A little too ironic...and, yeah, I really do think...

Life has a funny way of sneaking up on you
    Life has a funny, funny way of helping you out
    Helping you out

/rant
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem