FR/DH brakes

mrmonkfinger
mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
My Elixirs might have a new home soon as replacement for some cable pull brakes on another ride.

I'm kind of tempted by the V2s but a lot of good reviews going round for the current XTs - what's everyone's feelings on these brakes?

XT? (or even saints?)
Hope V2s?
Formula Ones?
Avid codes?
Stroker trails?

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Avid Codes are excellent, so are Avid X0's. I don't like the Strokers, though maybe the ones I tried needed new pads or a bleed.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Elixirs not too shabby at all esp with 203mm rotors
    (Old) Saint very good but they are heavy and the action is on/off until you get used to it. Allegedly new Saint is much better in this respect
    Codes are the safe choice
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    codes are over kill.
    the Formula Ones are very good.

nothing wrong with most on a 203mm disc.

but are you going to race or just play?

as there are different requirements there.

for example for playing we used 203 discs but for racing we dropped to 180 and 160 or 140 on the rear. with Formula Ones.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Majski
    Majski Posts: 443
    Formulas are immense
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    Its a play bike. The odd mini DH type race.
  • Squarepants
    Squarepants Posts: 1,019
    Never been able to fault my Formulas, 203 F and 180 R, love em and am never short of emmense power, great modulation and easy to install pads / setup
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...
  • Proutster
    Proutster Posts: 785
    My SX Trail came with XT M775's (2010 I think) and the power from those is superb. Easy to modulate as well.

It always takes me a few minutes to adjust to lack of power & bite on the (admittedly, bottom-of-the-line) M486's on my Trance, the difference is like chalk-and-cheese.

If the new XT's are as good then they'd be my choice - but I've never tried any of the others, so I've fallen into the old "my brakes are the best, so buy those" trap :D