OT - building a brick workshop in the garden

optimisticbiker
optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
edited August 2012 in Commuting chat
Thinking about creating a 6.5 x 3.5m brick n block workshop/bike store/man cave in the corner of the garden as Mrs OB wants the garage converted to a consulting room.

Sadly, it looks like I'll need to get planning permission as I want it higher than the 2.5m allowed within 2m of the boundary, despite it being screened by mature vegetation on 3 sides. Need the height to accomodate the bike store in the roof space (with a powered lift of my own design). I'm considering doing much of the building work myself.

Anyone done this? Any thoughts/tips/ooopses to avoid?
Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:

Comments

• phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    Have it partially underground?
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Consider getting prefab? I've looked into this sort of thing & can get a good sized concrete (brick facaded) shed for a few thousand. For myself I thought this may be a time/materials break even unless you enjoy that sort of thing.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • phy2sll2 wrote:
    Have it partially underground?
    You're not the first to suggest that, but I'd need to go down at least 750mm inside. Issues with that are:
    a) its on a slight slope so even if one side was underground the other wouldnt be, unless I went very deep (and then you run into all sorts of regs about soil loading and stuff)
    b) I'd need to go down 750mm and that would require 3 or 4 steps, using up valuable floor space
    c) I have some heavy machine tools to get in there and wanted a level access. Also needs to be level for wheel chair access
  • jds_1981 wrote:
    Consider getting prefab? I've looked into this sort of thing & can get a good sized concrete (brick facaded) shed for a few thousand. For myself I thought this may be a time/materials break even unless you enjoy that sort of thing.
    Looked at prefab, but they generally are single skinned and that's not sufficient from heat and sound insulation perspective. The double skinned ones aren't significantly cheaper than a block/brick build, or so my research suggests so far... though maybe you have better google-fu than I :)
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Looked at prefab, but they generally are single skinned and that's not sufficient from heat and sound insulation perspective. The double skinned ones aren't significantly cheaper than a block/brick build, or so my research suggests so far... though maybe you have better google-fu than I :)

Blimey, sounds like you almost want to live in it ;)

I hadn't considered sing;e vs double skinned to be honest & had just been looking at this site. (Need somewhere to store my bikes & put my turbo trainer)
    http://www.summergardenbuildings.co.uk/ ... 03623.html
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • jds_1981 wrote:

Blimey, sounds like you almost want to live in it ;)

I hadn't considered sing;e vs double skinned to be honest & had just been looking at this site. (Need somewhere to store my bikes & put my turbo trainer)
    http://www.summergardenbuildings.co.uk/ ... 03623.html
    lol no, tho I do want room to put the turbo in as well.. I have a couple of rather noisy machine tools I want to be able to use on those long dark winter evenings so it needs to be heat and sound insulated (and humidity controlled). Currently they are in the garage but without a couple of 3kW fan heaters running full blast 24 x 7 the temp in there is a couple of degrees above the outside temp in the winter and being single skin brick the neighbours complain about the noise after 8pm so progress on projects is limited during the winter...

Just looked at your link... I'd seen those already. I put it on the 'maybe' pile because insulation is extra and internal not between the concrete and the cladding and the roof construction would need some rework and insulating. Didn't like the door construction either. But yes, its about £5k for the size I want, which would be cheaper than the brick/block constriction... but I might come to regret it. Sadly they don't have a showroom in easy striking distance of me.
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Basically, it's like building an extension. Well worth having a conversation with the local build regulations team at your local authority. They are usually very helpful and it's always good to have them onside from the off. I'm not exactly clear on when you need building regulations sign-off and when you need full planning permission. Well worth keeping it to building regulations if possible.

Second thing is to make sure you get your neighbours onside too. It makes it easier to get any issues sorted out straight away when it's much cheaper to deal with them before a brick is laid in anger. It also helps with neighbourly harmony.

Third thing to think about is power. That can be surprisingly expensive - digging a trench, ensuring your existing circuit board is up to scratch etc. Add plenty in the budget for that and make sure you get the appropriate Part P / Building Regulations sign-off. Saves a lot of pain when it comes to selling the property, as I found out from bitter experience.

Last thing - do you really, really need it higher than 2.5m? It'll save you time and money if you don't...
    FCN 3 / 4
  • Basically, it's like building an extension. Well worth having a conversation with the local build regulations team at your local authority. They are usually very helpful and it's always good to have them onside from the off. I'm not exactly clear on when you need building regulations sign-off and when you need full planning permission. Well worth keeping it to building regulations if possible.
    Already had the chat, and scanned Building Reg Part A section 2 :). Nothing there to concern me, foundations and slab are straightforward, just needs effort digging and shuttering and then getting a readymix pour. I'm no brickie, but I know someone that is and I reckon he'll help get me started, can't see it being too hard to lay a few bricks :)
    Second thing is to make sure you get your neighbours onside too. It makes it easier to get any issues sorted out straight away when it's much cheaper to deal with them before a brick is laid in anger. It also helps with neighbourly harmony.
    Again already had the discussion with the neighbour on that side, known him for 20y, even before we moved in, so quite good friends so no issues there.
    Third thing to think about is power. That can be surprisingly expensive - digging a trench, ensuring your existing circuit board is up to scratch etc. Add plenty in the budget for that and make sure you get the appropriate Part P / Building Regulations sign-off. Saves a lot of pain when it comes to selling the property, as I found out from bitter experience.
    No issues there. Already got a 32A MCB for the gear so just need to run an armoured cable to the new location in a 12" deep slot trench (more digging!). I have a friend who's Part P approved so he'll ok it once I've done.
    Last thing - do you really, really need it higher than 2.5m? It'll save you time and money if you don't...
    Well I had planned to store the bikes on a lifting frame in the roof void. I dont fancy one of those external bike store boxes. I may be able to increase the size of the floor plan to give more space inside.
  • the_fuggler
    ^^ Shouldn't be anything else to phase you then really. Best get on with it! Pictures of the finished man cave a must!\

Meant to say we managed to borrow a mini digger for the foundations. A job that would have taken days took hours.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • ^^ Shouldn't be anything else to phase you then really. Best get on with it! Pictures of the finished man cave a must!\

Meant to say we managed to borrow a mini digger for the foundations. A job that would have taken days took hours.
    Yes, looking into that now... quite fancy playing with it... and they come with a slot trench head too :)

But got some more design and measuring to do first... then got to convince Mrs OB that we should do it ourselves (me and son) and not splurge the cost of a well spec'd Cervelo R3 on someone else doing it... :lol:
  • the_fuggler
    Sounds like a negotiation is required so that you get an R3 frame and Mrs OB gets some appropriate form of shoes / handbag / whatever is appropriate combination...!
    FCN 3 / 4
  • Sounds like a negotiation is required so that you get an R3 frame and Mrs OB gets some appropriate form of shoes / handbag / whatever is appropriate combination...!
    Lol, I wasnt planning to buy an R3... merely using that as a comparative measure :)