CRANKSET

yorkshiretri
yorkshiretri Posts: 63
edited August 2012 in Road general
Hi all, quick question for you, will changing from a compact 3 ring chainset to a double make the bike faster?? at the min my big chainset has 50t, im thinking about an fsa 54t upgrade, thanks in advance for replys.

Comments

• andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    I think it will but you'll probably need to change the mech and shifters too. Someone who knows a bit more will be along soon enough.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    It'll make you faster only if you're limited by your current gears. If you regularly find yourself spinning out of a 50x11 or 50x12, I'd suggest a career as a professional cyclist.
  • BruceG
    BruceG Posts: 347
    Plus one to the above, save your cash and learn to up your cadence. Only the rider can make the bike faster
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    No. The only thing holding you back is ability to put power down through either low cadence or lack of strength.

I've pedalled for short periods at 46mph on a 50-12 combination when I'm racing (apparently 134 so actually pretty sustainable). I should say I was descending, it's an example not a boast...
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    No. The only thing holding you back is ability to put power down through either low cadence or lack of strength.

I've pedalled for short periods at 46mph on a 50-12 combination when I'm racing (apparently 134 so actually pretty sustainable). I should say I was descending, it's an example not a boast...

How fast would that be using a 53x11 assuming same cadence :?:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    ShutUpLegs wrote:

How fast would that be using a 53x11 assuming same cadence :?:

About 53 mph but you'd need a steeper hill probably :lol:
    (calc by multiplying 46mph by the ratio between the gear ratios).
    Faster than a tent.......
  • It will make you faster for the same effort you put into your highest gear at the mo- but more common is a 53-39 set up. The 54 tooth is mailny for timetrialling - I doubt the one tooth will make that much difference overal from a standard double.Also you dont say which cranks you'll be going with - I think that Shimano specify a difference of 14 (53-39 =14), so 54-39 will be just out of that range - but check that I may be wrong.

You'll need to alter the front mech height - and mech limits - assuming you keep the triple mech. The triple shifters will work ok with a double.

But if that was me i'd just go with a standard 53-39 and learn to pedal harder.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.