Converting to 1x9...

DanDax1990
DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys, My bike currently runs 3x9 Shimano Deore... I don't think I've ever changed out of my middle front ring so was thinking about changing to 1x9. Is this a good or bad idea? And can anyone recommend what to get?

Might get this - Funn Hooka 38t http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=15916

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    A chain device of some sort. Some short chain ring bolts or a bash/guide ring and a chain tool.

Nowt new needed.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • DanDax1990
    I was looking at buying it new and was going to give my front shifter, mech and crank to my brother...

What's the best option for me if buying new?
  • nicklouse
    Any take your pick. Any crank set canbe used. But look at the rest and see what you really need.

Me shimano crank set and bearings. Sell the rings I don't need, fit what I want to it........
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Re the one you linked to - do you have an 83mm BB shell. I doubt it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • What crank do you have now? Do you know what size chainring you want - 32/34/36/38t?
  • DanDax1990
    36/38 will be fine, I currently have Shimano FC-M431... Not got a clue what the BB is. It's a standard Voodoo Bokor...

And not sure about the BB shell... I need some advice lol
  • nicklouse
    DanDax1990 wrote:
    36/38 will be fine, I currently have Shimano FC-M431... Not got a clue what the BB is. It's a standard Voodoo Bokor...

And not sure about the BB shell... I need some advice lol
    Have a read of Parktools and learn a bit about want you are trying to do.

Your bb shell will be 68 or 73 mm

And you will need to change the BB as well got the tools?

Is the grandest the Fc m431 or the fc m431-8?

In either cases the BB shell will need Ti be faced if you go for an external bearing crankset.
  • DanDax1990
    I've got all the tools I'd need already. I think its faced already. And not sure about if its 431-b or not, All it says on the Halfords website is what I put mate.
  • nicklouse
    And you trust the info on a Halfords site?

The tools needed for a square taper fitting are different to an octalink fitting.

And if you go for external bearings then that is another set of tools. And do not presume the BB as been faced get it checked/done if you g for external bearings.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It's a cartridge BB so doubt it's been faced.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools