What MTB or Frame 26er upgrade for a 5'2'' Shorty?!

Lornskiann
Lornskiann Posts: 3
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
I currently have a Rockhopper 15' bike which was my first MTB and am looking to upgrade. I do lots of road riding and have been MTB riding for only a couple of years. I like to 'explore the envelope' which means I live outside of my comfort zone and fall off from time to time so whatever I have needs to be robust but I want lightweight with good component parts.

As I am short, the clearance from the back of the seat to the wheels is too small and with this and general handling issues (lifting over stiles and other places) I have ruled out a 29er. I like my current 26er but it's too heavy and I'm due an upgrade. I weigh 51KG.

Ruling out a 29er has meant that my options are limited. I want a carbon or lightweight aluminium frame and good component parts. I could stretch to up to £1800 and would happily build my own bike if I could find a frame to start with.

My problem is that I can't find a lightweight frame small enough to fit me. I know my ideal one is out there somewhere I just don't know where to start. I am a woman but hate anything girly or pink and find that some female specific bikes have less good component parts on compared to the mens bikes. I would love to have something a bit more individual if I build it myself but know I can't be fussy. Both my current bikes are mens bikes but I would consider womens bikes.

I think time riding bikes/ talking about bikes/ looking at bikes and thinking about bikes is time well spent but at the moment I'm going round in circles and it's driving me mad! Please help!

Many thanks

Lorna

Comments

• paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    What is wrong with the rockhopper frame you have? You can upgrade the components to lighten the load rather than buying a new bike if you are happy with the bike you have in terms of geometry and fit.

If your current bike is stock there is probably a lot to lose in the wheels, tyres, fork and other components. A standard Rockhopper is around 28 lbs at a guess.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Strangely, i hadn't thought too much about that as a possibility. Thanks though, that's good advice, i will now. I noticed another post about upgrades so will view and carry on thinking.

Lorna