Strava Watts

mattsaw
mattsaw Posts: 907
edited September 2012 in Commuting chat
I've been using Strava for a little while now - http://app.strava.com/athletes/99118

I've noticed the watts stat on the profile - 5min power/10min power.

I've obviously seen this quoted in relation to pro riders, but can someone explain (as if you were explaining to an idiot) what this is, how its calculated and watt ( :oops: ) is a good reading?
Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
Strava

Comments

• vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    Mattsaw wrote:
    I've been using Strava for a little while now - http://app.strava.com/athletes/99118

I've noticed the watts stat on the profile - 5min power/10min power.

I've obviously seen this quoted in relation to pro riders, but can someone explain (as if you were explaining to an idiot) what this is, how its calculated and watt is a good reading?

+1 :oops:
  • vermin
    edited August 2012
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    Unless you've got a powermeter it's not worth using or looking at, particularly for commuting. It's meant to calculate the power output based off your speed/acceleration and elevation. Your 5-min power and 10-min power are your best average power outputs over 5 and 10 mins respectively. Unfortunately Strava can't take into account wind nor drafting so estimated power outputs are massively out.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    Cheers, that does make sense.

There does seem to be a rough correlation between the high outputs and the riders that I would expect to be high, so I guess it's a decent benchmark, just not particularly accurate?
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • vermin
    It seems clever enough to take rider weight into account.
  • vermin
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    vermin wrote:

Doesn't seem you're clever enough to press submit only once ;).
  • vermin
    vermin wrote:

Doesn't seem you're clever enough to press submit only once ;).

Never. Post. From. Phone.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    All the time I have used it it hasn't updated once from the inital values, I know I have more power than that now for the pace I can maintain and my hill speed is a lot better than 2 months ago
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Thought I'd resurect this rather than start a new thread, I was wondering how accurate the Watts figure actually is? I've noticed it spikes occasionally to say 900 Watts, is that just a blip? It seems to be in some odd places like junctions, I was wondering if it's where it gets confused with a change of direction or something? Is it accurate enough to use as a training aid i.e. will it give a rough ball park figure or should I ignore it completely?

Cheers

Paul
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Thought I'd resurect this rather than start a new thread, I was wondering how accurate the Watts figure actually is?
    It's not accurate.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • I find it very useful

I can see just how much lighter the people who beat me on the hills are than me without needing a Strava subscription :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • dhope wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Thought I'd resurect this rather than start a new thread, I was wondering how accurate the Watts figure actually is?
    It's not accurate.

Aye. It's a reverse engineered estimate. Or a g-u-e-s-s, if you will.

It may be right some of the time, like any guess, but that's not because it is accurate.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Ah fair enough, looks like like if I really want to know I'll have to get a power meter but you can buy a decent bike for the price of one of them!
  • Yup - it can only be as accurate as the data that's fed in - speed, weight, rate of change of elevation and even then it can only guess at aero losses. As such, it's only really as accurate as any calorie figure too (after all, it's the same thing) I do find, though, for longer runs, it is at least reasonably consistent within the bounds of its limitations.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH