Specialized or Boardman

Eternal-Bcb
Eternal-Bcb Posts: 25
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
Hi guys,

Me and my GF have been looking into getting a couple of road bikes for the past couple of months and this month we decided we will go for it. This morning my girlfriend got an excellently specced boardman hybrid at a great price so now its my turn.

Its between either the Specialized Allez Sport 2013 or the Boardman Road Comp for me. Both have their advantages and look great in my opinion, and I'm tempted to just got for the Specialized as I trust the brand more but just wanted to know what you guys thought? My budget is around £850 including helmet, shoes and pedals.

Specialized: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/allez-sport-compact-2013-road-bike-ec040965
Boardman: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_777741_langId_-1_categoryId_165710#tab2

I'm 21 and have been mountain biking for a while with fairly good fitness and go to the gym at least 3 times a week. I'm looking to do between 10 - 20 mile rides when I first get started and then go from there with the aim of joining my local club in Essex.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!!!

Comments

• P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    Go for whichever one you prefer the look of.
  • RandG
    RandG Posts: 779
    Only thing that lets Boardman down is Halfrauds, the bikes themselves are top drawer with top drawer spec, and he's all part of the success of Team GB bikes, and I believe they've been doing not to bad recently :D
  • markp80
    markp80 Posts: 444
    It's a shame you missed the recent sale as the road comp was down to £630 - I wonder if Halfords have any more sales planned? Worth checking in store? I do see they're still giving £70 off if you spend over £700 (not sure if that's only if you reserve online for collection), making the bike £730, comparable to the Specialized.
    I'm really pleased with my Road Comp but I'm sure you would be happy with either.
    You're right to budget for pedals and shoes though, I really dislike the strap things mine came with and will be changing them very soon.
    Cheers
    MarkP
    Boardman Road Comp - OK, I went to Halfords
    Tibia plateau fracture - the rehab continues!
  • I'd go for the Boardman, just check all the nuts and bolts are done up correctly.
  • MarkP80 wrote:
    I really dislike the strap things mine came with and will be changing them very soon.

Learning to use clips and straps is an essential part of becoming a real cyclist. If you can't spin well with clips and straps, there's no use upgrading. Though I almost sympathise with you as the ones that come on cheap road bikes look terrible. :lol:

But honestly, the answer is 'try them'.

I'm a big fan of Boardman the man, so I doubt he would put his name on a bad product, but nevertheless you have to buy from Halfords. I would hope that Evans provides a better service, as well as a bigger selection.

Don't worry overly about the cost anyway; beginner road cyclists need no more than heavy old bangers so anything you buy will spoil you. Even though Evans doesn't carry the Boardman, it will carry something that will be just as good for the price, and £300ish will buy you more bike than you need whilst leaving you enough to buy all of the other kit you will need. :)
  • stoneb09
    stoneb09 Posts: 98
    Personally I would go with the Boardman simply due to the value for money you get. Don't worry about Halfords giving poor service, it wholy depends on the store. Just ensure you give it a quick look over when they have put it together. You can usually gauge on how well the bike will be built from the member of staff serving you.

You also have the advantage that your girlfriend bought a bike from there so judge of how well that was built in order to make your decision.

I am also waiting for the sales on the Boardman range, looking at the Boardman Road Team but its £999 at the moment. Earlier in the year it had gone down to £809 so hopefully they will do this offer again in the near future.

It may also be worth signing up to british cycling for £24, as you automatically save 10% if you show your membership card instore!!
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Take Halfords out of the equation and I've yet to see a bad review of a Boardman, Specialized just seem mediocre.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    As someone who owns a Specialized and a Boardman (MTB), they will both be sound choices. If you go for the Boardman try to buy from a Halfords with a dedicated BikeHut dept, in my experience they tend to be a bit more enthusiastic about cycling and putting your bike together. One thing I would say about Specialized is that the spec of their bikes has reduced quite dramatically over the last year or so, a bike that cost £600 last year is probably about £750 now to get the same spec. I'm sure other manufacturers are the same, maybe I just notice it more because I have one? As others have said, you do not see many bad reviews of Boardman bikes, my MTB is an absolute bargain for the price /spec.

Enjoy whatever you choose.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • Crescent wrote:
    As someone who owns a Specialized and a Boardman (MTB), they will both be sound choices. If you go for the Boardman try to buy from a Halfords with a dedicated BikeHut dept, in my experience they tend to be a bit more enthusiastic about cycling and putting your bike together. One thing I would say about Specialized is that the spec of their bikes has reduced quite dramatically over the last year or so, a bike that cost £600 last year is probably about £750 now to get the same spec. I'm sure other manufacturers are the same, maybe I just notice it more because I have one? As others have said, you do not see many bad reviews of Boardman bikes, my MTB is an absolute bargain for the price /spec.

Enjoy whatever you choose.

+1 :lol: Potentially look at getting a lightly used bike so you get more for your money?
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • jimmies
    jimmies Posts: 156
    I was looking to get one of these bikes ( as a complete beginner ) - I also looked a the Secteur which is £650. I tried them all - In the end I went for the Triban 3 as it was ALOT cheaper good spec for the price and as a total beginner it was a safer bet.

If I'm totally honest I can tell very little difference to justify the cost of the others compared to the Triban. It works perfectly and the gear changes are pretty smooth actually. Yes it is 1kg heavier.....but I weigh 96kg - I'm not going to notice 1kg too much as a total novice. If in a years time I still have the bug I can sell it for £150 and get something better

Just a thought
  • paul_mck
    paul_mck Posts: 1,058
    boardman are really hard to beat, superb value for money.

if youre that worried pay your LBS £20 to give it a once over.
  • Mark Elvin
    Mark Elvin Posts: 997
    Ride both and buy the one that fits the best.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    Bozman wrote:
    Take Halfords out of the equation and I've yet to see a bad review of a Boardman, Specialized just seem mediocre.
    +1
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • stoneb09 wrote:
    Don't worry about Halfords giving poor service, it wholy depends on the store. Just ensure you give it a quick look over when they have put it together. You can usually gauge on how well the bike will be built from the member of staff serving you.

Of course you should worry. A beginner cyclist more than any other needs to be fitted to the bike. That needs to be done properly. As any experienced cyclist knows, incorrect saddle height and positioning can have dramatic effects on rider comfort (and cause injury at worst). The mechanical integrity of the bike is another issue entirely.
  • jimmies wrote:
    I was looking to get one of these bikes ( as a complete beginner ) - I also looked a the Secteur which is £650. I tried them all - In the end I went for the Triban 3 as it was ALOT cheaper good spec for the price and as a total beginner it was a safer bet.

If I'm totally honest I can tell very little difference to justify the cost of the others compared to the Triban. It works perfectly and the gear changes are pretty smooth actually. Yes it is 1kg heavier.....but I weigh 96kg - I'm not going to notice 1kg too much as a total novice. If in a years time I still have the bug I can sell it for £150 and get something better

Just a thought

Absolutely agreed.

Sometimes I do pity new road cyclists who start on modern bikes, as their perspective is so often very flawed; to the great amusement of people like me who started on good old steel.

Eg. it's very funny to read the opinions of people who don't know the first thing about cycling and aren't very fit yet, proclaiming that a bike that's lighter than the bikes of relatively recent Tour de France champions (mid to late '80s) is too heavy for them, or they can't cope with clips and downtube shifters, and that a 9-speed cassette isn't enough for hills, etc.

Blow all of your money on carbon fibre but it won't make you a good cyclist. If you're going to capitalise on something other than your fitness, make it aerodynamics first and foremost. My favourite bike is 30 years old; made from Tange plain-gauge steel tubing (but quite light), has a 5-speed freewheel, and a Shimano 600 transmission. I'll race any of you on it. :)
  • Really appreciate the replys guys! I've had a go on the Specialized and thought It felt really good. I'll pop to my local Halfords this weekend and check out what the sizing is like on the Boardman.

I had a go on my girlfriends this morning and it felt great. I'm getting impatient now! :wink:
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    If you can get the Specialized from a decent bike shop they should throw in a bike fit for free... that'd be my choice.
  • markp80
    markp80 Posts: 444
    "Learning to use clips and straps is an essential part of becoming a real cyclist. If you can't spin well with clips and straps, there's no use upgrading. Though I almost sympathise with you as the ones that come on cheap road bikes look terrible. "
    - Fair point Simon, and I wouldn't disagree. To be honest, the main problem is with my trainers that I'm using the clips/straps with. All I have are my big chunky running shoes which seem far too wide and thick/contoured soled to slide in, the wide cushioned heels catch on the chain tube and are generally too wide to fit comfortably on the pedal.
    I reckon that leaves me two choices - buy some proper shoes/clip less pedals or wear my narrow black polished work shoes. As my wife laughs enough already at the bib shorts, I reckon I'll go for the former!
    Cheers,
    MarkP
    Boardman Road Comp - OK, I went to Halfords
    Tibia plateau fracture - the rehab continues!
  • which boardman hybrid did your girlfriend get ? as iam in the market for one . is she happy with it and the halfords service ?
  • samsbike
    samsbike Posts: 942
    I don't think you can go wrong with either. Also try and ride both for around half an.hour at.least not just around the,block.
  • @stronginthesun She got the Boardman Fi Hybrid Comp. It's an excellent bike I must say and the spec is amazing for the money! As for the service, the guys near me seemed knowledgeable enough but I wouldn't go asking them too much. At the moment they are giving 3 free inner tubes as well which I thought was a nice touch too.
  • thanks will go in at the weekend and have a look . have you been on it ? i was looking at the comp but may run to one of the dearer spec ones ? just think the comp in white looks great
  • The comp does look great I will admit that. I had a quick go this morning and everything was silky smooth and super light, I think it weights just less than 10KG was I think is pretty epic being a bit of a beginner and all.
  • thanks ! think it is about 10kg which is great for a bike costing £550 . will have a look on sat , need to see it in the flesh
  • Well I just thought I'd let you guys know that I just got myself a Trek 1.2 H2 2013 this afternoon. I went down to my LBS and low and behold they had just got one of the Trek and Specialized in stock. I gave them both a spin round the car park and felt much comfier with the Trek so I went for it.

The guy did me a great deal on some Specialized BG shoes and 105 pedals as well, so all in it cost me £750. I was pretty chuffed with that! I went out just now and it feels great and such good fun to ride.
  • Also, Just thought I'd say that it was a CyclesUK store that I went too and the service was excellent in my opinion. Fitted to my liking but left me room to tinker with it myself too.
  • I bought a 2012 Allez Sport from Evans in June and I love it. I got a good deal at the time and managed to buy some shoes and pedals along with it for a total of £740. I cant really compare it with a Boardman but like many of the other posts I think that most novices like myself wont really notice the difference.
  • iain3915
    iain3915 Posts: 12
    I just picked up a Boardman Road Comp earlier today.

Having read all the bad press Halfords get on here I decided to build it myself. This is why I am now exhausted having been fiddling with it most of the afternoon and all evening and watching youtube videos about the setup.

For those wondering what is involved in building it yourself here is what I had to do:

Pump up tyres
    Fit front wheel using quick release mechanism
    Cut the front brake cable to length and insert it into the brakes at the wheels (already setup on handlebars)
    Attach the handlebars
    Slide the seat post into the frame
    Fit the pedals
    Adjust the gears

Adjusting the gears was the only difficult part and it was made more difficult by the fact that I didn't, until now, know how road bike shifters work. I am now quite glad that I built it myself as I now think I can adjust gears and derailleurs etc quite well! To give you an idea of my ability I had to google how to pump up the tyres as I'd never seen a presta valve before!

Halfords staff at Braehead, Glasgow were actually fantastic. I was a bit of an awkward customer delaying picking up the bike a couple of times but they were very efficient and helpful. I would have no hesitation in having them build a bike in future.

I only finished fiddling with it 30 mins ago so I went out for a spin round the block (at midnight!) and the bike itself is amazing! It was my first ever go on a road bike and the acceleration and handling is incredible. It really feels like you could cover a long distance very quickly.

Can't wait to get out on it again.
  • grechzoo
    grechzoo Posts: 49
    boardman seems to have the better value (groupset wise almost a price bracket below specialized). but the allez is allegedly the better frame.

on top of evens allowing proper test rides, where halfords dont. plus you get a better fitting, it means im leaning toward specialized.

im worried about sora myself on the allez sport. the elite comes with lighter wheels and tiagra for £175 more. feels like a lot, but it might be worth it in the long run, can see myself not needing an upgrade for years. still its tough to go for a 900 bike when i know i need to spend another 200+ on pedals shoes, safety, tools and clothing etc.

with the cycle to work scheme, it should soften the blow, still its a lot of money. having test ridden a road bike now though, and being blown away, there no way i can stop myself from spending this money.
    Bikes: CAAD8 105, CAAD10 105.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Spesh tend to be great frames with cheaper components than the competition. I love the brand as a Spesh Allez got me into road bikes but I'm not sure I'd buy a Spesh again as there is better value for money. Boardman, Canyon, Focus etc all being good examples.