ohhh ahhh! q rings conversion

black.converse
black.converse Posts: 56
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
im currently changing my 3 speed in the front to a single speed and doing so im replacing the chainring with a q ring. iv found my self having to explain to alot of people who talk to me is why im doing it. all im repeating is that i only use the third gear in the front anyway. but is there any other reasons why someone might go to single speed in the front?? :? surely weight cant be a factor - even for a weight weenie thats a bit far? :?:
It never gets easier. You just go faster. – Greg LeMond

The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and, when it gets old and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and get a new one without shocking the entire community. - Ann Strong

Comments

• Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Nope weight is a big factor as you lose 2 rings, a front mech, and a shifter. (Around 4-500g). The other main one is simplicity. There's less to clean, set up, or go wrong.
  • oh right ok, far point - as much as that? wow

The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and, when it gets old and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and get a new one without shocking the entire community. - Ann Strong
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    :lol: but sometimes a chain guide or bashguards etc are run with a single front ring set up.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    As above really, with regards to weight, but depends mainly on what the bikes for.
    ie, gentle riding, you probably would get away with just a simple, very light top guide.
    But, if your going to be on a lot of rough stuff, you may want a full guide (upper and lower) and some style of bash guard.

Single ring is good, less weight, less faff, but the main thing for me is it forces you to push the bigger gear, having no granny to slip into up those hills. My fitness has come on more since running 1 of my bikes single.

Oh and I see you say q ring.. I run a goldtec wonkey ring and whilst I was a bit sceptical, the principal does seem to work well. Or maybe its all in my mind :)
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    It'll 'work' for free or a few quid.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Wait, are you saying you're only leaving the big ring on there? so you're going to have a 42-tooth chainring as your only option?
    Daaaaamn, you must live somewhere pretty flat.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Should have got a road bike.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • YeehaaMcgee
    :oops:
    leave it, Nick. I thought we were over this by now.
  • no im going to be runnimg a 37 tooth in the front and a 11-32 cassette- just build my legs up thats all

• YeehaaMcgee
    So you were only using the middle gear then, not the third.
  • yeah basically- i couldnt find any bigger q ring single chainring with more than 37

• YeehaaMcgee
    i only use the third gear in the front anyway.
    So... are you only using the big, 42-tooth ring?
    If so, then going to a 37tooth ring is just stupid.