No showers

2»

Comments

• clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    see, farmers from the westcountry have a more agricultural fragrance than us effete Londoners (especially Rick Chasey)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    see, farmers from the westcountry have a more agricultural fragrance than us effete Londoners (especially Rick Chasey)

I smell like child's tears.

Nothing else.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699

I smell like child's tears.

Nothing else.

Yeah, they're a nightmare to get out aren't they :shock:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Take your time getting changed, and make sure you put on cleanly washed clothes. By then you'll be sweat free anyway.

As opposed to dirtily washed clothes?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Monkeypump wrote:
    Take your time getting changed, and make sure you put on cleanly washed clothes. By then you'll be sweat free anyway.

As opposed to dirtily washed clothes?

Only Heroes wash their clothes in the tears of children.

Everyone else should was them in clean water.
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    I do get what you are saying however test your theory by doing the following.

Commute in 5 days doing say 40 miles every day. Make sure you wear clean shirts, trousers etc and dont wash or rinse yourself for a week. See what you smell like ;)

I bet it isnt childs tears and more likely unwashed hookers snatch ;)

Bet your the office stinker and people do not want to hurt your feelings :lol:
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761

Watch it London towner! I will crush you and your bike with my tractor. Drlex will be along for the ride in his tight white commuting jeans as well.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    There is no way I couldn't have a shower, I get a sweat on just thinking about getting on the bike.

But I also wouldn't join a gym, ever. So it would be be pits and bits with a wet wipe, or a wash down in the disabled.

Plus 1 for the Aqua dry towels, I use one every day as I have to carry all my kit and they are light and very absorbent.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    rubertoe wrote:
    There is no way I couldn't have a shower, I get a sweat on just thinking about getting on the bike.

<snip>

There's therapy available for that kind of obsession...
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    With regard to anyone who hurls the "smelly!" barb, the "cool your body down" sweat is water-based, mostly salts and doesn't lead to much if any smell (it can do if clothes are left with stale sweat for longer periods of time). Eccrine sweat glands produce "a clear, odourless substance, consisting primarily of water and NaCl (note that the odour from sweat is due to bacterial activity on the secretions of the apocrine glands). They are active in thermoregulation."

The other sweat is the culprit as far as stinky people go. It's fat-based, and bacteria love to feed upon it. Apocrine sweat is "a milky, viscous, odourless fluid which only develops a strong odour when it comes into contact with bacteria on the skin surface."

So you should be able to cycle fast, get sweaty, and just cool off at work without generating any unpleasant odour. You might want a change of clothes, mind. The main problem in my opinion is the dried salty residue, but I never concern myself with worries of being smelly just because I don't shower when I get to work.

You can be a smelly pig just by sweating a lot of the other stuff, regardless of any exercise, too.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)