Think have just decided when I will aim for my first ton!!

2»

Comments

• apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    It really depends what works for you. For rides over 2 hours, I will start having a snack roughly every hour after the first hour. If riding hard I may have a gel up to 1 an hour interspersed with the snacks. Part of this is probably not just for the energy, but also phychologically so that I have something to aim for and break the ride up. I also sweat alot, so make sure to add a Nuun tablet or electrolyte drink after the first hour too.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Now I am mighty confused- it seems if I ate while I was on a ride I may get thinner quicker! Bonkers but if the experts say it who am I to argue even if it seems bonkers! Must say the idea of not being starving on the last half of a longer (plus 30 mile for me) ride is very very appealing!.

Thats the theory and as you say, seems bonkers but thats what the sports nutritionists all say. Pro teams all have nutritionists it seems, and all us mere mortals can learn so much and become much better cyclists no doubt. As said, see what works for you with the diet you eat, energy drinks etc etc.
  • Cheers Wirral_Paul will do - that said did a very hot 42 miles this afternoon and took one of my kids fruit bars to eat - only 165 calories too sweet by half! Will need to track down something more palatable.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    edited August 2012
    Try these sometime - lovely!!

http://bicycling.com/blogs/ramblingman/2012/02/16/fast-food-and-eating-on-long-rides/

Bananas, fruity malt loaf and fig rolls are also great. Try a few options and see what you like. Your taste buds work overtime during exercise so sweet things taste extra sweet and so on
  • Interesting thread.

I've been building up my distances of late and have done several 65 mile solo runs. Yesterday I upped this to a 93 mile run and was delighted to be able to keep it going over some reasonably lumpy terrain.

I was also quite pleasantly surprised to be able to make the jump in distance. I would advise keeping hydrated and well fed throughout - my stop off at a petrol station for food and water was vital! When you are cycling solo, as I was, it can be a a bit of a mental challenge too, so be prepared for that!

Before anyone asks, I didn't have the time to squeeze in the extra 7 miles, but I'm pretty sure I'd have managed!!! I'll need to leave my first true century for another day!
  • Apologies to the OP as I think I may diverted (if not hijacked) your thread a bit! In my defence though it did lead to some interesting conversation. For those who were involved with/following that aspect of this thread I posted a question on Training and got some other very interesting and helpful replies you many want to check out -

viewtopic.php?f=40011&t=12870990
  • I did my first 65 today in preparation for an 85 mile sportive.... I was knackered at the end and my average speed was falling and any incline slowed me down. I have another 2 weeks of training left and probably won't go further than the 65. Will focus on 30 mile rides and hills to build up some more strength
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    amsparkes wrote:
    I did my first 65 today in preparation for an 85 mile sportive.... I was knackered at the end and my average speed was falling and any incline slowed me down. I have another 2 weeks of training left and probably won't go further than the 65. Will focus on 30 mile rides and hills to build up some more strength

You need to adjust your pace so you have some energy at the end. If you know the route and there's a good hill at the end just conserve a bit of your exertion from the start. Use a HR monitor and try to keep out of zones 4 and 5.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.