A

joggingjohn
joggingjohn Posts: 12
edited August 2012 in MTB general

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It does look like you are rather crunched up there. As the stem looks quite long already, I do think a longer frame is needed.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Some basic info?

What size is it?

And how tall are you etc...

Weight on hands is normally a too long frame .....

Saddle could go up a bit.

Have you ever hit the shifters with your knees?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • gezebo
    gezebo Posts: 364
    You look a little hunched up but you also say it doesn't feel right too. These two thing combined would suggest that it may well be a little small. A couple of things have also been suggested on the link which may help ie lay back seat post and longer stem. I guess it comes down to how big the problem is and how much money you have to spend.

Another thing you commented on in the other thread is that you mainly ride it on roads. It's horses for courses and a mtb on road will never be comfy over longer distances. Ride this bike off-road and it may be perfect!
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Here's a pic of me on my bike (excuse the mess!) - I dont have a whole lot of room on mine either but it works for me - steeper climbs I cant stand up or I just bash the bars and seated on tight turns uphill I occasionally knock the bar - I'd get the medium next time but it works ok - I think I have less space than you to move (shorter stem), dont suffer from pain in my hands but I also dont ride on road on a mountain bike because thats silly.

IMG_0862.jpg
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • lm_trek
    lm_trek Posts: 1,470
    I had a Trek Fuel ex a few years back, perfect standover and reach etc, but it was just too small back ache knee ache no matter how i set the bike up it just wouldn't work. It was a 15.5" frame (yes im short) i sold it and picked up a bigger Orange p7 17.5, that was just slightly too big, i now have a speshi camber 26" version, i have no standover but the rest fits perfectly, no back ache or any form of aching.

My point is sometimes is trial and error, swap over stems, layback seatposts etc, if that doesn't work local bike shops and sit on all the different types of frame sizes and combinations until you find a perfect fit, a good lbs will help you find the best position, halfords not so great. My local one when i was after a road bike just said yep that looks right, hhmmm was too small!
  • The good news is that you can probably strip down that frame, flog it on ebay, and buy an identical one (just the next size up) without it actually costing you any money. Safe in the knowledge that everything will fit when the new frame arrives (except you may need longer cables).
  • Bigchris
    Bigchris Posts: 131
    I ride a small genesis core and im 6 foot 2. On paper id say it is way too small for me..but to be honest now I have got used to the feel I find it alright. I'm sure if I did get on a proper sized bike for me id notice a few things which are easier/maybe harder than they are at the moment, but for now its treating me well.

Before I got into biking properly I had quite alot of pain in my right knee, mainly because I used to be a fat fook and doing a couple months rugby training I screwed my knee even more than it was and would get constant funny pains when id been running for example. Pretty much anything weight baring was niggling my knee. Now when i got this bike i was pretty reluctant as i thought it was going to screw with my knee even more.

Now though...after riding pretty hard for a number of months...pain...what pain. Gone, pretty much fully apart from the stiff feeling after rides.

The only problems are a couple of things like what Paul was describing, knee hits stem occasionally etc. I can live with that though to be honest, it doesn't really effect my riding as a whole.