Indexing question

msmancunia
msmancunia Posts: 1,415
edited August 2012 in The workshop
Although I'm a whizz at house DIY I'm not so great on bike stuff, mainly because the bike's less than a year old and nothing's really gone wrong with it so far. But, my gears have started to slip on my bike and need indexing I guess. Anyone know of a decent youtubey thing I can look at to see how it's done? Really can't be mithered/haven't got time to go to LBS to get them to do it so thought I might have a go.

C
Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Read the info on Parktools.

But you most likely only need to add a smidgen of tension to the cable.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Mine have started doing the same so I'm going to have a go with this guide (Park tools seem to be the most recommended guides it seems)

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... derailleur

It can't be that difficult, right? :wink:
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Don't touch the limit screws - a school boy error!

If I recall you have a fairly new bike with just a couple of thousand miles on - in which case all you probably need to do is to turn the barrel adjuster half a turn at a time and try changing gear.

If your bike is older or higher mileage (or has had a hard life) then you may need to pull a bit more cable through, or the problem might be chain stretch.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Change into the highest gear (smallest rear cog). Screw the barrel adjuster in fully then unwind a couple of turns, and twiddle the rear mech adjuster to about halway out. Release the cable clamp on the rear mech, pull the cable through with one hand (pliers help here) whilst changing down to make sure that the indexing is at its limit, then nip the clamp up again.

Do coarse adjustment with the adjuster on the mech, fine tune it with the barrel adjuster. Get it fairly close in top, then change down to the middle gear (5th on a 10 speed) and adjust so that it's running nicely in 5th but changes nicely on the middle gears. That should see you toa nice change. Tweak with quarter turns on the barrel adjuster near the brakes.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    my bike is 10months old an now needs a chain an cassette due to wear an tear

fisrt started noticing it when gears jumped

adjusted loads but still no better, taking a look at the sprockets (back wheel gears) each of the teeth on my most used gears are gnarled an chewed

if you dont do much mileage check cable tension, if you do, do mileage check the condition of your cassette!!
    Keeping it classy since '83