Pivot Rubbing on Frame Problem Giant Anthem

mooseface2r
mooseface2r Posts: 88
edited November 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
the lower maestro arm on the inside is rubbing against the frame on the drive side.

everything is in place as it should be has anyone had anything similar?

Thanks

Comments

• skooterpunk
    skooterpunk Posts: 9
    edited November 2014
    Yes, I have the same issue. After replacing the bearings and returning all parts as specified I noticed the pivot on the drive side touches and rubs the frame. You will notice the pivot flexes slightly when tightening (to correct Nm). Seems Giant managed to torque the pivot bolt while spreading the rocker arms to maintain this gap on the drive side, as the spacers/washers are insufficient width to maintain this gap between the frame and the pivot arm. I will add a small washer and detail the spec required to fix this tomorrow.

Edit: See solution below
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I think after 2 years he's probably not bothered!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • skooterpunk
    skooterpunk Posts: 9
    edited November 2014
    Ha, yes indeed it seems mad to reply after so long, but there is nothing else I can find on the net mentioning this; and as I just discovered the problem myself I thought it would be good to detail a fix 'somewhere on the net'. I have replaced the rear shock once before and didn't notice any issue after reinstalling; however it was quite obvious this last time after replacing the bearings, as after a ride there was fine paint powder on the pivot arm and a wear mark on the frame. NB: the old and new bearings are the same size on the Vernier calliper. I note that the space between the frame and rocker is minimally maintained when tightened to about 71Kg cm (spec for this pivot bolt is 120 - 150Kg cm for 2010 - 2013 Anthem), however it would still be possible for contact/rub to occur.
    Would be interested in what others have experienced/done to resolve. It doesn’t make sense that this is happening; maybe/hopefully I am doing something wrong!
  • Giant Anthem Maestro lower Pivot/U Link Arm Frame Rub

Make sure you have the two U link arm bolts correctly oriented!!! The U link chain stay pivot bolt (rearward one) will fit the shock eyelet pivot shaft (forward one) and vice-versa, but the head is slightly larger and contacts the U link arm, causing it to flex when tightening; rather than pressing directly on the bearing. The shock eyelet pivot bolt head is the smaller diameter of the two (only just) and is the same size as the shock eyelet pivot shaft head (L and R match); it does not touch the U link arm when tightening. (the shock eyelet bolt also has different machining under the head to ensure correct contact with the bearing).
    Likewise, the chain stay pivot bolt heads are larger diameter (only just); L and R match.

Here is a link to the Maestro suspension manual from Giant. It has the Torque specs and parts diagrams, however this point is not detailed: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/backoffi ... ual_v2.pdf

Embarrassingly I made the same mistake; but admit it here in the hope of helping someone else.