First Road Bike Advice.

Globillox
Globillox Posts: 6
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
Been thinking of getting one for a while, however I need some advice on what exactly I should be looking for.

I've seen that the Triban 3 http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-3-id_8167038.html has some good reviews.

Another option would be http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165710

Going to my local cycle shop this week to see what they've got as well.

Thoughts on those two and anything specific I should lookout for?

Thanks.

Comments

• Mike39496
    Mike39496 Posts: 414
    I'd go for the Triban or something second hand. You can pick up a decent bike that is around 2 years old for £300 or so.
  • Mike39496 wrote:
    I'd go for the Triban or something second hand. You can pick up a decent bike that is around 2 years old for £300 or so.

Appreciate the reply, yeah I have been looking on gumtree every now and then. Any other sites I should check out that you know of?
  • Triban - do not buy the Carrera!
    2012 Giant TCR Composite 3
  • Mike39496
    Mike39496 Posts: 414
    Globillox wrote:
    Mike39496 wrote:

Appreciate the reply, yeah I have been looking on gumtree every now and then. Any other sites I should check out that you know of?

I got mine off gumtree but just be careful and don't go alone etc. eBay is also alright but the best place is probably the classifieds here. This one could be perfect depending on how tall you are viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=12870524 plenty of bikes go on there, also put a post in the wanted forum. Best of luck!
  • Mikelancs wrote:
    Triban - do not buy the Carrera!

Why not? I started out on a carrera and it was fine - they usually get good reviews too. The only thing I'd say about the tdf is that it doesn't seem to have compact gearing. The virtuoso might be a better buy if the op expects to be going up a lot of hills.
  • blackhands
    blackhands Posts: 950
    Mikelancs wrote:

Why not? I started out on a carrera and it was fine - they usually get good reviews too.

Just because you started on a Carrera is no justification. Better spec on the Triban - it has carbon forks with an alloy steerer. Carrera has heavy old steel forks.
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    Nothing wrong with steel forks (on a tourer) but yeah I agree for a spangly fast road bike I'd go carbon
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • blackhands wrote:
    Mikelancs wrote:

Why not? I started out on a carrera and it was fine - they usually get good reviews too.

Just because you started on a Carrera is no justification. Better spec on the Triban - it has carbon forks with an alloy steerer. Carrera has heavy old steel forks.

Yeah, I agree, the Triban does look a better spec but the way you said "dont buy the Carrera" made it sound like there was something terribly wrong with the bike when its probably reasonably competent for the price range.
  • Thanks for all the feedback, going to get down decathlon and check out the Triban 3, will also keep an eye out in the classifieds section.
  • blackhands wrote:
    Mikelancs wrote:

Take note - the Triban is far better !!
    2012 Giant TCR Composite 3