Did it!

cov_bcfc
cov_bcfc Posts: 21
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
Well, just tackled the ballache of hills near mine! First time of doing it, it defeated me. Maybe it was the steepness, maybe the length of it or maybe because I wasn't expecting it on my route. But this time. This time. I did it! I had to stop twice on my way to the top first time round. This time I didn't stop once! Very pleased with that!! The hill itself is 16% incline and goes on for 1.5 miles. Granted I went up it at a gradual pace! I hate that hill but its a good little tester! Also the ride down the other side is well worth the struggle up it! :lol:

Comments

• ALaPlage
    ALaPlage Posts: 732
    Well done. It'll never get easier just quicker :D
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • 16% and 1.5miles :shock:

Nice one :wink:
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    Go on then....which hill in the UK climbs 384 m (1260 feet) in 2.4km (1.5 miles) i.e 16%?
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Is it on Strava?
  • I take it by your username this is near Coventry?
  • cov_bcfc
    I don't know what Strava is! I just looked it up on google maps!

No the COV stands for something else! Something which is rather sad! Anyway I don't know how to do this properly so I can give you the location and if you want to check up on it feel free (it's actually 1.3m - my apologies). And I use the signposts on the road which say 16% to see the gradient!

So if you search for High Street, Sutton-in-Craven, Keighley and it starts round that area, maybe a bit further up and continues onto Ellers Road.
  • cov_bcfc wrote:
    I don't know what Strava is! I just looked it up on google maps!

No the COV stands for something else! Something which is rather sad! Anyway I don't know how to do this properly so I can give you the location and if you want to check up on it feel free (it's actually 1.3m - my apologies). And I use the signposts on the road which say 16% to see the gradient!

So if you search for High Street, Sutton-in-Craven, Keighley and it starts round that area, maybe a bit further up and continues onto Ellers Road.

Just looked it up on bikehike.co.uk
    730ft climb
    Still very impressed :wink:
  • cov_bcfc
    haha ok I just went off the road signs! Any idea of the gradient then?
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    cov_bcfc wrote:
    Is it this one http://app.strava.com/segments/1108413?
    Or ths one http://app.strava.com/segments/846110

Elevation data is rubbish in the UK, it's quite a hill, well done.
  • cov_bcfc
    More like the first one. That's a bit depressing finding out its only 10.3%, felt like a lot more! I guess sections are 16%, tell you what though, feels a lot steeper when you're on it! :lol:
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
  • on bikehike.co.uk it looks like a couple of parts are 16%?

I have a similar length climb which is 250ft and that has me grunting and swearing :oops:
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    How to shoot the guy down!

Honestly - competitive roadies!!! ;-)

Anyway, well done to the OP! Keep it up!
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    ALaPlage wrote:
    Well done. It'll never get easier just quicker :D

As quoted by America's greatest-ever cyclist
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    The road signs are just the maximum gradient not the average, still 10% for 1.3 miles is good going!

Keep it up!