When do I join a club?

martylaa
martylaa Posts: 147
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
Just getting back into cycling again after a long lay off, my fitness is very poor on the bike yet I want to join a club nearby. What can I expect if I join one, will I be the laughing stock due to my fitness levels on a bike?

Comments

• ALaPlage
    ALaPlage Posts: 732
    Unlikely unless the club is elitist in nature. Most clubs have group rides for beginners. Good source for getting advice and building your cycling fitness. if you like club culture then good to get along to
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • Our Club suggests that you ought to be able to do 3 laps of Richmond Park, 21 miles, in 88 mins (about 14.5 miles per hour), if so you will be comfortable on a Club Run.

I suggest that is not a bad target to aim for. Most Clubs should be welcoming and have a group for you,if you can manage that.
    17 years commuting up and down the King\'s Road and i still don\'t get faster...
  • anthdci
    anthdci Posts: 543
    I know Sunderland is a bit of a trek for you from Durham, but Sunderland clarion do club training runs on a Thursday evening. There is a group of faster riders doing about 23mph and a group of a slower riders (which is where I am) that set off 10mins earlier averaging about 18-19mph. Don't be put off though I normally average about 14mph when I commute but as soon as you start riding in a group it really speeds you up. There is also a long run most Sundays that are at a more leisurely pace. No one is left behind.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    my club has beginner group at 10, improvers at 12 then 14, 16 and 18 + some rides are specific to novices and some are aimed at the quicker people. they have a good interactive website so easy to dialogue with them first and get an idea about who they are and what they are up to

if a club is elitist, then find another. i think all clubs should be making efforts to respond to all the new people who are likely to be coming through the doors after the olympics. if not then they jolly well should be
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    What is a club? A club is formed when a group of like minded people want to formalise things. So there are clubs setup to race, there are triathlon clubs, there are ..... all sorts of different clubs with different aims.

Most clubs want to attract new members and will therefore organise a new comers ride - but the point is all clubs are different.

Find a club that suits YOU and your current level of riding. Phone them and talk to someone, tell them where you are (performance wise) and what you are looking for. Believe it or not, most of them are actually friendly!
  • I waited a year to join a club untill I got my fitness levels up, so I wouldn't be dropped in the group, I'm still dropped in groups but nothing like someone better than you to get u fit, I've been on two club runs and already feel an improvement, it's well worth it. On the runs they will always wait for people, start in beginners and see how u go, many clubs will offer free rides also
  • daveyroids
    daveyroids Posts: 223
    anthdci wrote:
    I know Sunderland is a bit of a trek for you from Durham, but Sunderland clarion do club training runs on a Thursday evening. There is a group of faster riders doing about 23mph and a group of a slower riders (which is where I am) that set off 10mins earlier averaging about 18-19mph. Don't be put off though I normally average about 14mph when I commute but as soon as you start riding in a group it really speeds you up. There is also a long run most Sundays that are at a more leisurely pace. No one is left behind.

Also depends on where you live in County Durham. We have members from that way. We are getting an increasing number of people who want to join a club but who have concerns as you do. Up to now all have said that they were worried for nothing. After their first club runs we have had a few reports of aching legs but people have enjoyed their rides out.

Apart from the training ride we have a Sunday club run which usually leaves from Shiney Row or Follinsby and I use the Great Lumley circuit for some of my training. Washington is a bit of a hike to do the Thursday training ride.

I was in a similar position to you earlier in the year. I started cycling after about 3 year lay off in November. I joined Sunderland Clarion in February and never looked back. I just selected the most appropriate club runs for myself, did them and not only improved but lost over 2 1/2 stone. My acheivement this year was completing the VM Cyclone and I'm looking at doing The Beast in Durham later this year. Whatever club you Join check them out first and go along for a couple of initial rides without joining to see if they suit your needs.